Nervous / Endometrial Biopsy Tomorrow 3/28 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous / Endometrial Biopsy Tomorrow 3/28 Nervous / Endometrial Biopsy Tomorrow 3/28

Unread 03-27-2016, 02:16 PM
Nervous / Endometrial Biopsy Tomorrow 3/28

I go tomorrow at 4 pm for an endo biopsy. I'm so anxious and scared about the possibility of pain and passing out. I've had a colposcopy and LEEP procedure on my cervix 15 years ago for precancerous dysplasia but this biopsy has me more nervous. I'm not having periods and have a thick Endometrial lining so this is naturally the next step.

How painful is this procedure? I've read horror stories and stories of it being not that bad? I've had one vaginal delivery and one c section. I've also had a Mirena iud inserted and removed and that was very uncomfortable . So I'm just wanting to hear what your experiences were with the endo biopsy? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2016, 02:40 PM
Re: Nervous / Endometrial Biopsy Tomorrow

Both endo biopsies, I took ibuprofen an hour before, as instructed, maybe that helped. First try was unsuccessful due to uncooperative cervix, but zero pain. Next time, in anticipation of difficulty, the GYN did a cervical block, which was pinchy but not painful. The actual biopsy was not painful. In comparison, I've had a couple IUD insertions, and found them quite painful, memorably so. I know experiences vary, but I was very scared, in fact refused one biopsy due to fear of pain, and could barely believe it when I didn't have pain after all. So I hope you have a similar experience, if they advised ibuprofen, I would be sure to take it.
Unread 03-27-2016, 02:47 PM

I had a failed biopsy due to the fact that my cervix was very tight and the doc was unable to complete the procedure. It was pretty uncomfortable. I was told to take ibuprofen about an hour before the biopsy to help with pain and I was also given misoprostal to take the night before, to dialate the cervix, even though it didn't help much. I wound up having a D&C. I would imagine if you had an IUD placed you are familiar with the amount of discomfort. Did your doc suggest ibuprofen? I would recommend using it if you tolerate it. Hopefully it will go smoothly and will be quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahnicole View Post
I go tomorrow at 4 pm for an endo biopsy. I'm so anxious and scared about the possibility of pain and passing out. I've had a colposcopy and LEEP procedure on my cervix 15 years ago for precancerous dysplasia but this biopsy has me more nervous. I'm not having periods and have a thick Endometrial lining so this is naturally the next step.

How painful is this procedure? I've read horror stories and stories of it being not that bad? I've had one vaginal delivery and one c section. I've also had a Mirena iud inserted and removed and that was very uncomfortable . So I'm just wanting to hear what your experiences were with the endo biopsy? Thank you

Since you have been through the Mirena insertion, you will find this procedure not to be near as painful/uncomfortable. The pipelle they use is smaller in diameter than the device used for the Mirena insertion and it is done in seconds...literally. My Mirena insertion seemed to last about 10-15 minutes but the endo biopsy was done in less than 2 minutes from start to finish (from hitting the stirrups to sitting up).

After the Mirena I could barely walk out of the office and was unable to go to work the following day. After the endo biopsy, I could do cartwheels on my way out of the building if I wanted When I had the Mirena done, it was a first appt with that doc for pain issues & I didn't know I was going to get it that day so I had no time to prepare or take any pain meds in advance. I was told about the endo biopsy, so this time I took a hydrocodone (Norco) as I headed out the door to my appointment...best thing I could've done. For me, ibuprofen doesn't do much and I had this pain killer left over from something else on hand. So my recommendation would be to take a stronger pain killer if you happen to have one on hand and if necessary because it does not interfere with them being able to do the procedure. If you do take a prescriptive pain killer, take a friend to drive should that drug have warnings about driving. If you don't have or don't want to take a prescriptive pain killer, at least take the ibuprofen.

I made the mistake of reading stories of the biopsy procedure. After having the procedure, I realize that when people have bad experiences they tend to post about it, but when people have acceptable levels of pain or discomfort they don't post about it.

You've got this & will likely think it was a walk in the park compared to Mirena insertion.
Unread 03-28-2016, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the reassurance. I appreciate you sharing your stories and advice. I just had my biopsy and no lies it was very painful. The pain was from him dilating my cervix. I have a lot of scar tissue from a LEEP procedure I had in the past so it took a good 2 attempts to open my cervix and I was in tears. Honestly I can see why everyone's experience is so different. The actual suction biopsy was 10 seconds my doctor counted and that was pretty painless after the cervix dilation. So my advice is everyone is different depending on many factors.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register