How effective is an endometrial ablation with uterine fibroids? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How effective is an endometrial ablation with uterine fibroids? How effective is an endometrial ablation with uterine fibroids?

Unread 03-26-2009, 11:30 PM
How effective is an endometrial ablation with uterine fibroids?

I was wondering how effective endometrial ablation is with fibroids, ovarian cysts, and severe menstrual bleeding? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Re: How effective is an endometrial ablation with uterine fibroids?

This is the exact question I was going to ask! Please, I would like someone to answer this~!
Unread 03-27-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkrocks View Post
I was wondering how effective endometrial ablation is with fibroids, ovarian cysts, and severe menstrual bleeding? Thanks
I understand that a very high percentage of women have great success with this procedure. Bleeding is drastically reduced or even stopped. Perhaps your doctor can give you accurate numbers.

I was one of the ones that it didn't work at all for. All of the problems that prompted me to have the ablation continued or even worsened afterwards. Not immediately but over a few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2009, 12:42 PM

For great answers and information regarding endometrial ablations you may want to check out the Endometrial Ablation Discussion Group.

Unread 03-27-2009, 03:25 PM

Mine worked wonderfully for the first year. Bleeding was almost non-existent. But the rotten fibroids took over, and well 18 months later, hysterectomy. Although, I am glad I did the ablation first.
Unread 03-27-2009, 04:12 PM

I had an ablation two years ago and it completely stopped all of my bleeding. (This isn't typical, as most women continue to have some bleeding.) I had a small fibroid at the time, and another one started--both of which were on the internal uterine wall. It worked well for these. However, I had another fibroid grow, this time within the actual muscle tissue itself.

The endometrial ablation discussion that Weiser refers to is a good one. I used that for support and information before and after my ablation. This would be a good place for you to ask these same questions.

The women I know who have been happiest with their ablations are those who had them for heavy bleeding only. I was very happy with mine, as it gave me over a year without pain as well as a good period of time to begin to come to terms with the possibility of a hysterectomy.

It doesn't work well for everyone, but it's much less invasive than a hysterectomy and I would definitely recommend learning more about whether it would be a good fit for your situation.

Unread 03-30-2009, 10:15 AM

I had the ablation approx. 2 yrs. ago and within 6 months I was back to the heavy bleeding and horrible cramps, now hysterectomy scheduled.

I think it's worth a try, it has worked for some.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register