Post Op Abdominal Swelling | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Op Abdominal Swelling Post Op Abdominal Swelling

Unread 11-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Post Op Abdominal Swelling

Good Day,

It is day 6 since my Full Hysterectomy. I noticed a burning and pinching along my incision. The most horrible thing is the swelling of the incision. I am a size 0 and I can't get into any of my pants ? When will this swelling go down ? AND will it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Re: Post Op Abdominal Swelling

Ah, swelly belly! Set your size 0's aside for a while and enjoy pj bottoms and yoga pants. The swelling varies from one person to the next. For some its a few weeks for others it's much longer. I am 16 months post and still swell when I'm on my feet too long. I have lost weight since my surgery and still can't fit my regular pants I really don't like it, but have no choice but to roll with it. Hang in there you are very early post op, it will likely be a distant memory before you know it.

If your swelling is strictly incision related, please check with your doc to make sure you don't have an infection.
Unread 11-10-2012, 10:30 PM

I was swollen big time right after my TAH, and the worse part of it was that the left half of the incision was swollen alot more than the right side.

I looked at it and thought -- what if I have to go around the rest of my life with my left side of my belly significantly larger than the right side?

But all of that swelling was temporary.

I am 27 days post op at this point, and yesterday, I fit into the pants I wore to the hospital.

In fact, they were a bit loose on me, suggesting I've actually lost a little in the belly region.

Oh, and both sides of my belly are the same size again. My fears of having one side of the stomach alot bigger than the other side were unnecessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHen View Post
I was swollen big time right after my TAH, and the worse part of it was that the left half of the incision was swollen alot more than the right side.

I looked at it and thought -- what if I have to go around the rest of my life with my left side of my belly significantly larger than the right side?

But all of that swelling was temporary.

I am 27 days post op at this point, and yesterday, I fit into the pants I wore to the hospital.

In fact, they were a bit loose on me, suggesting I've actually lost a little in the belly region.

Oh, and both sides of my belly are the same size again. My fears of having one side of the stomach alot bigger than the other side were unnecessary.
Omg.. Thanks so much for this.. My left of my belly is larger!! I'm 10 days post op and worried!! My incision is low but my swelling is higher below my belly button. Like a little pot .. Ill be ok whatever happens cos it needed to be done
Unread 11-11-2012, 11:31 PM

It's still early days yet. Don't worry it's normal for there to be swelling..it will go up and down...it's normal and there wills be pain also. Just keep the area clean and sit down, don't move too much and be careful when getting up off the seat support the area
Unread 11-13-2012, 07:31 AM

Thank You so much everybody for the input. Today is the 1st day I am really able to be up and around. I think being off the Vicodin really helps too. I was feeling totally brain dead and defeated on it. I have noticed some swelling gone. It seems the more you stay off of it the better it is.

I go to the Dr. for my 1st visit after surgery Wed, Nov 14th. I know I have lost weight because I really have not eaten in 9 days and I noticed my breasts have really decreased in size. Do you think it is a physical change due to the surgery or just from not eating ? A bunch of people told me that in a lot of cases due to lack of hormones your breasts decrease ?

Hahahah, Geeze something else to look forward too. I feel like I have been to hell and back. God Bless all you strong supportive women. Don't know what I would do without you !!!!!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register