catheter care at home | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

catheter care at home catheter care at home

Unread 04-26-2013, 11:10 AM
catheter care at home

I had a hysterectomy, and pop repair on Tuesday. I was discharged on Wednesday with the Foley catheter in place due to not being able to go on my own. I'm not due to go to the doctor til Monday to have it removed. Just a few minutes ago I thought I peed myself and had to run to the bathroom to clean myself up. My question is.. My doctor is an hour away, should I go into my PCP and see if they can remove it. Because I'm not familiar with catheter care etc but my assumption is you shouldn't be urinating both thru it and in my underwear as well. This may be a common sense question but I'm just clueless to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Re: catheter care at home

I have had little leaking issues as well, though my catheter is in because I had a vesico-vaginal fistula repaired after my hysterectomy had gone bad. The hardest thing to tell is whether you are leaking from the catheter or the vagina. I have read that there can be leaking around the catheter, and may be because the balloon is not inflated properly. A test that a doctor can do ONLY IF THEY FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH IT SO SOON AFTER SURGERY, is the tampon test. Where they put a tampon in for a while and see if the liquid is coming from the vagina. This is just my experience and you should call the surgeon and get their advice. My fistula reared its ugly head 4 weeks after my hysterectomy. Probably because the surgeon accidentally stitched the bladder to the vagina and when the stitches dissolved, there was a hole straight through. I put up with my fistula and leaking bladder/vagina for 4 weeks before I could get the repair done.
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Re: catheter care at home

Well I went to the ER because my doctor left for the day. They took my catheter out which was good because it was almost out anyways. Long story short, after arriving back home I raced back up there to have it placed back in because my bladder only wanted to spasm and I couldn't relieve myself. I'm just praying now that come Monday I've healed enough to have it taken out and be able to go on my own. Has anyone had any issues with their bladder like this?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register