Prolapse, cystocele, and rectocele questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Prolapse, cystocele, and rectocele questions Prolapse, cystocele, and rectocele questions

Unread 01-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Prolapsed in California

Hello!

I have a prolapsed uterus and a cystocele and rectocele. My gynecologist said that she would remove the uterus and repair the rectocele herself and a Uro/gynecologist would repair the bladder. I am in the decision stage, and my next step would be to see the urologist concerning my bladder. I felt that I was progressing along well until I received a private message from a hystersister. To summarize her long and detailed story, she had a cystocele and rectocele repair using mesh and had mesh erosion, inflammatory mesh reaction and is now going to have the mesh removed. It certainly got me thinking. I quite honestly have not had the opportunity to ask if my repair situation would require mesh, but I was wondering if in your repair mesh was used and if so have you had any problems? Also, one other question....How long were you in surgery?

Thank you so very much for taking the time to answer my questions.

Hiker Lady
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Prolapse, cystocele, and rectocele questions

Hiker Lady you have some valid concerns and questions. Were it not for this board I am afraid I would not have wound up with the great medical care that I did receive. I found this board when I was researching the best way to repair a rectocele. There are two theories of thought on that, the Colo-Rectal surgeons think they are the best equiped to repair it and the Gyns will generally tell you they are the one who should repair it. After a visit to the Colo-Rectal surgeon she handed me off to a Urologist, the Urologist sent me to a Gyn. The Gyn's office was full of pregnant ladies. The Colo-Rectal surgeon and the Gyn both said it wasn't the worst prolapsed uterus/rectocele/cystocele they had seen but it was very close. I realized I needed the best Doctor and treatment I could find in Dallas. So I researched. I read months and months worth of posts on this board to see what other women's experiences were. This is what I gleaned from the board.

(please note this is not medical advice, just what my thoughts)

1. Mesh is not a good thing, Doctors will tell you that the erosion rejection rate is less than 10% but I think if you took a poll from women it would be more like 18-20%.
2. A lot of (Gyns) Doctors do a hysterectomy without consideration of bladder issues it can cause. Read the board Bladder Matters, there are some tough situations there.
3. Uro-Gynecologist are highly recommended.
4. You only have one chance to heal so take care of yourself after the surgery.

As I said I went to 5 Doctors before I selected one. I did not want mesh to repair the pelvic wall/rectocele. The Uro-Gyn I found does nothing but pelvic wall reconstruction and bladder related problems. I called around to get references on him, did research on the internet and found he was very highly rated/recommended.

I was in surgery about 2 1/2 hours, I was in recovery another 2 1/2 hours because they had trouble getting on top of my pain. I had a hysterectomy, cystocele repair, rectocele repair and a bladder sling put in. I do have a very tiny piece of mesh that was used in the bladder sling procedure. My Doctor assured me that if I have mesh issues he can adjust the bladder sling mesh and even remove it if necessary without going into the hospital. He showed me the mesh during a pre-op visit and it's less than a 1/2 wide. I did not have any other mesh, no mesh in the pelvic wall reconstruction. My surgeon used my own tissue to do the posterior repair and pelvic wall reconstruction. I thought I was only going to have one surgeon but Baylor is a teaching hospital and there were 2 other surgeons there who are training in Uro-Gyn speciality.

I am exactly 2 months post op today. I am pretty typically a slow healer and this surgery was no exception. So I have taken it easy, I was off work 6 weeks and then when I went back it was the holidays so I have only worked about 4 or 5 days in the last two months.

I am doing great, I have had no complications. The repairs have done what they were supposed to do. I don't pee every 45 minutes to an hour like I used it, I don't leak anymore. My rectocele and constipation issues are gone. I don't have that icky feeling of my uterus and rectum hanging in my vagina.

I do have a couple of restrictions. I cannot lift anything over 10 pounds for 6 months and I can't lift anything over 50 pounds ever. There is a whole lot of straining that goes on in the pelvic/rectal area when a woman lifts heavy things. I do not want to have surgery for the rectocele again, I think that was the more painful healing because inside was fine in a couple of weeks.

I am moving tomorrow so the 10 pound thing is a drag. I picked up an armload of clothes on hangers and weighed myself holding just to make sure I don't overdo it tomorrow and the armload I picked up weighed 25 pounds! So I can just forget about picking up boxes or anything. Fortunately my son is going to help, I have friends coming over tomorrow and I did hire movers to do all the furniture.

If you have any additional questions please feel free to email or private message me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register