Help! 4 weeks out today and still problems | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help! 4 weeks out today and still problems Help! 4 weeks out today and still problems

Unread 07-08-2005, 09:22 AM
Help! 4 weeks out today and still problems

Dear Sisters,

I am 4 weeks out today (SAH-June 10th-kept ovaries) and for the most part my recovery has been OK except for ONE BIG area- - have had some gas pains/constipation problems at about two weeks out which resolved after about two days. Over July 5th did not have a bowel movement for 2 days. Finally had an excuciating movement on day 3, and then my stomach had gas pains( I think they were gas pains, maybe bad bacteria!) that sent me to the emergency room. They did an Xray and said that everything looked OK; no bowel obstruction; and I went home 'still with horrible pains in my upper stomach.
When this first started I had the worst reflux I have ever had in my life for two days and think it was from the pressure of gas and other bacteria rolling around in my stomach.
I called my surgeon who was ABSOLUTELY no help and said "that I was one of his needy patients"- - can you believe that!!! I finally spoke to his practical nurse since I was still having upper abdonimal pain and bloating which was two days ago. She told me to keep taking the Colace as long as I need to,( She originally said that I should only take it until my movements (sorry for being gross!) were watery, which I did which was the week until June 30 then I did not take COlace and that's when I became incredibly constipated . The emergency room doctor said that my bowel is sluggish after the sugery. I have also taken gas X, drank prune juice, tons of water, walk, you name it and my upper stomach still hurts and feel bloated especially after meals which I have cut down to eating very little. It was also hard for me to pass gas - -instead I kept burping which did not seem to relieve anything.

I have read on the site that many sisters suffer from gas/constipation, etc. Can anyone tell me if they are having the same symtons 4 weeks out- - any tips on what I can do? Please, please tell me it will get better and just takes time to go away. This is so uncomfortable and the thought of having to go back to work in 2.5 weeks with this going on is terrible!
Thanks for any help!!!
Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2005, 09:39 AM

Hi Sandy,

Anesthesia can take quite awhile to leave your system and can indeed make your bowels sluggish for a long time. I agree with the nurse about using Colace as long as you need to...I took it daily for about 2 months, and it made all the difference! Keep up the walking and lots of water, too.

If you're not ready to go back to work at 6 weeks, try asking your Dr. for a note to get a couple of more weeks off. Remember, you've had major surgery!

This will take time and patience, as I learned in my early weeks. Your body has been through a lot....hang in there...it WILL get better!

My very best to you...
Unread 07-08-2005, 09:46 AM

Thanks Linda, I will take your advice on the Colace. Unfortuantely, my doctor will not write any more time out- -He is a great surgeon, but a real jerk on other areas! Did you also have the same issues in your upper stomach with Gas . The nurse told me to walk and was given the green light to walk easy on my treadmill which I did yesterday for about 20 mins. Today my upper stomach also feel like I have sore muscles along with everything else Very strange and quite frustrating!

Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2005, 09:54 AM

Sandy,
I think I had some trouble with gas, too, which is very normal as your intestines start learning to work with their former efficiency. Try to avoid gas-producing foods and carbonated beverages. Don't use drinking straws either.

Too bad about your unsympathetic Dr. Wait till you get closer to 6 weeks and then see how you're doing...you might be feeling better by then. If not, you may have to demand to get the time off you need to recover properly. Remember that no one will look out for your best interests as well as YOU can! Having a hyst taught me that very quickly. Take good care.

My very best to you...
Unread 07-08-2005, 10:05 AM

Sandy,

Your doctor sounds like a real peach!

My surgery was also June 10th. I worried about having constipation after surgery since I have that problem even without surgery. Thankfully, I was ok. I found that walking helped a lot to get the gas out. My doctor also recommended colace to help keep things moving and avoid straining to pass the bowels. I think what helped me most was lots of water, fruit and metamucil.

Good luck. I'm sure you will get past this and feel better soon.

Lisa
Unread 07-08-2005, 10:21 AM

I can relate. I had an endoscopy done 6 mons ago because of the same symptoms. Upper stomach was so bloated and reflux was so bad I thought I would never get over it. You have gotten good advice from the other sisters. What worked for me is exercise after meals and not eating anything after 7:30 at night. Plus Gas X and Milk of Magnesia after surgery. I swallowed the MOM 2 tbsp after each meal until my bms were runny the first week after surg. Now things are happening normally. Hang in there.

Maybelline
TAH/BSO
Unread 07-08-2005, 10:57 AM

Thanks Lisa and Maybelline!

I am so glad that both of you are doing well!! I thought at 4 weeks out I would be fine. This upper ab gas, pain and reflux is horrible- - I guess it is my intestines getting back to normal. Unfortunatley, the MOM mad me sick so I am sticking to the Colace.

Maybelline, was your endoscopy OK? I assume that was before you Hyster? I have a small hiatial (sp?)hernia and have alsways had a senstivie stomach so I hope this disappears because I don't feel like having an endoscopy.
Was wondering from you ladies how long this gas, bloating pain lasted? Did it come and go and for how long? Mine started early this week and I can't wait to return to normal forever!!!!

Best Regards,
Sandy
Unread 07-08-2005, 12:33 PM

My surgery was June 9. I feel like my intestines and all are just now getting back to normal. I still have some wicked gas pains, and am waiting to 'go' still today. I have had to take the Milk of M a couple times. Have you tried the gentle Wild Cherry flavor. Mmmm. exotic!
I am walking more, trying also to push the fluids, no soda, no eggs, no broccoli, onions, asparagus, nuts, little cheese...I have had heartburn too; the only time I had that before was during my pregnancies.
Supposedly, sleeping on your right side helps your body expell more gas while you sleep...
Wishing you luck! We need a little smiley guy 'breaking wind!'
I don't know if the heating pad has any effect on gas. I enjoyed using it off and on for a couple of weeks. My mom stitched up about 2 cups of regular rice (not instant) in a rectangle of flannel. Zap it for a couple minutes in the microwave and let it sit on you...
L

ATH for endo, adeno, excessive bleeding, hyperplasia
Unread 07-08-2005, 12:42 PM

Thanks L!

I will try a warm heating pad and keep walking. I usually sleep on my left side, but I will give my right side a shot and hopefully will be better. I am glad that you are feeling better!! You are only one day behind me so maybe my system is a little sluggish.......

Thanks
Sandy
Unread 07-08-2005, 01:26 PM

Go out and by Mint tea. Not green tea, or mint-and-whatever tea, just plain ole mint tea. My docs nurse said that she heard, ages ago, and through the hyster sister website, that mint tea will help with the gas pains. I bought some and packed it when I went to the hospital, and I was glad I did. Had those high pains, between your gut and your chest, and couldn't hardly breathe, and drank tea right at the hospital with the warm bathroom sink water. Boy it works great and tastes ok too. And, its cheap! Give it a shot. I had heartburn so bad 2 days ago the chest pain woke me up, I thought, great, have a hysterectomy now I will die of a heart attack. But after being up for 10 mins. it was gone. Must have been that drumstick ice cream cone I ate before I went to sleep...:-) Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register