new and not sure where to start | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new and not sure where to start new and not sure where to start

Unread 03-06-2015, 12:41 PM
new and not sure where to start

I came across this forum when researching information provided by my physician.

All of my life my cycles had been like clockwork. I always ran on a 27 day cycle, but it was very predictable and everything worked as it should. I am 42 years old, but have been having on and off signs of possible peri-menopause (hot flashes, night sweats, occaisional minor inconsistencies in my periods) since 36 years old. I have had normal PAPs as well.

I recently had a PAP appt and mentioned to the dr that I have been having some disturbing signs that I think are stronger indicators of peri-menopause. My periods have been extremely painful at times, they will either sputter to a start by spotting for a week prior to my period starting, or I will suddenly start in a gush that remains extremely heavy for several days. I have never been one to have severe pain with my periods. I have never had to take more than over the counter pain meds, and those only rarely. The pain I have been having is enough to make me double over. The heavy periods are also accompanied by passing a lot of clots (mostly the size of marbles, but a few the size of a golf ball). I have also experienced a sudden and significant decrease of sex drive over the last 6 moths to a year along with dryness (sorry if i am sharing TMI)

As a result of my symptoms, my doctor suggested that I have a transvaginal ultrasound. The results of the ultrasound have shown several things, which is part of why I am not sure where to start.

She said I they saw 1. a small (1.5 cm) complex ovarian cyst 2. polyps in the endometrium and 3. significant thickening of the endometrium.

Since she is my regular family physician and not a gyno, she has referred me to a gyno for further information.

When I research the symptoms i have and what they found, it takes me in a hundred different directions.

My emotions are all over the place and if the doc would agree I would sign up to have it all taken out tmw. I know that is an irrational over-reaction at this point, so...I am trying to slow down and think, but I have no answers yet. My appt isn't until the 18th with the gyno.

Any suggestions/advice? I feel really overwhelmed with so many things suddenly going on at one time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2015, 01:09 PM
Re: new and not sure where to start

Just wanted to say a quick Hello. Looking back I remember feeling apprehensive as I waited for my gynecological referral. Not knowing and having to wait is difficult. I had some changes that were consistent with peri-menopause and getting older. But the symptoms were outside of what was considered the norm. I was anemic due to very heavy bleeding and increased size of clots. I had my ultrasound results and knew I had a large bulky with many fibroids as well as a ovarian cyst.( adenomyosis was diagnosed after hysterectomy)At my gynecologist I was given options that were dependent on the results of my endometrial biopsy. My biopsy results were benign so I was given options starting with least invasive. The choice for hysterectomy was mine to make. You are doing the right thing to arm yourself with knowledge but try to keep things in perspective. I hope your appointment goes well hang in there
Unread 03-06-2015, 01:18 PM

so is it common for people with benign issues to have this many things all come up at one time?

FYI, i was diagnosed with mild anemia a few months ago, but it was assumed it was a side effect of a former weight loss surgery, it is common for me to have nutritional defeciencies occaisionally, although I luckily have had few. I am now wondering, was the anemia related to excess blood loss. It was around the same few months when the bleeding was at its worst.

I tend to do my best to ignore my irrational side, but my way of coping is research and self education, hence why I am here.

Thanks for your response!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2015, 01:24 PM

Hi,
I think that you are on the right track by going to a gynecologist. This is the right doctor to discuss each problem with you.
I know the 18th probably seems like a ways away but for the mean time try to distract yourself and do somethings that will take your thoughts away from this for now.
Maybe a couple of days before I would sit down and have all of myquestions ready to ask the doctor. Once you've discussed all of your options then make a decision from there.
Take care, and I know that everything will work just fine. Have a blessed day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlpldy View Post
I came across this forum when researching information provided by my physician.

All of my life my cycles had been like clockwork. I always ran on a 27 day cycle, but it was very predictable and everything worked as it should. I am 42 years old, but have been having on and off signs of possible peri-menopause (hot flashes, night sweats, occaisional minor inconsistencies in my periods) since 36 years old. I have had normal PAPs as well.

I recently had a PAP appt and mentioned to the dr that I have been having some disturbing signs that I think are stronger indicators of peri-menopause. My periods have been extremely painful at times, they will either sputter to a start by spotting for a week prior to my period starting, or I will suddenly start in a gush that remains extremely heavy for several days. I have never been one to have severe pain with my periods. I have never had to take more than over the counter pain meds, and those only rarely. The pain I have been having is enough to make me double over. The heavy periods are also accompanied by passing a lot of clots (mostly the size of marbles, but a few the size of a golf ball). I have also experienced a sudden and significant decrease of sex drive over the last 6 moths to a year along with dryness (sorry if i am sharing TMI)

As a result of my symptoms, my doctor suggested that I have a transvaginal ultrasound. The results of the ultrasound have shown several things, which is part of why I am not sure where to start.

She said I they saw 1. a small (1.5 cm) complex ovarian cyst 2. polyps in the endometrium and 3. significant thickening of the endometrium.

Since she is my regular family physician and not a gyno, she has referred me to a gyno for further information.

When I research the symptoms i have and what they found, it takes me in a hundred different directions.

My emotions are all over the place and if the doc would agree I would sign up to have it all taken out tmw. I know that is an irrational over-reaction at this point, so...I am trying to slow down and think, but I have no answers yet. My appt isn't until the 18th with the gyno.

Any suggestions/advice? I feel really overwhelmed with so many things suddenly going on at one time.
Unread 03-06-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
so is it common for people with benign issues to have this many things all come up at one time?

FYI, i was diagnosed with mild anemia a few months ago, but it was assumed it was a side effect of a former weight loss surgery, it is common for me to have nutritional defeciencies occaisionally, although I luckily have had few. I am now wondering, was the anemia related to excess blood loss. It was around the same few months when the bleeding was at its worst.

I tend to do my best to ignore my irrational side, but my way of coping is research and self education, hence why I am here.

Regarding changes I can really only speak from my own experience. I knew I had a fibroid in my mid-thirties but was told not to be concerned unless other symptoms present. In 2012 my pap and internal exam were normal but I had borderline anemia. I went on iron pills for a few months to correct this and was offered a mirena iud which I declined. My anemia corrected itself but then my periods started to get heavier I was anemic again. In 2013 one year later my uterus was enlarged with fibroids and at the time of my hysterectomy was equivalent to the size of a 16 week pregnancy. I was told that fibroids were fed by estrogen and that hormones fluctuate during peri- menopause.
Unread 03-06-2015, 01:59 PM

It sounds like the two are related. Prior to me making this final decision to have a hysterectomy about 3 weeks ago now, I was anemic for many years. I had heavy cycles, clotting, headaches and as a result I was diagnosed with anemia. I also had irregular paps which I then had to get biopsy for. I also had a cyst as well as some other thhings.
Over the course of my experience I've tried medications which didn't work. I was told about the IUD but opted not to use that.... Because I have other health issues my doctor really ran out of options other than me having an ablation.
On February 18 2013 I had an ablation. I thought that I was in the clear with no more heavy bleeding. Unfortunately me about a week later I started bleeding and it would'not stop. The clots were enormous....I had an emergency appointment with my doctor and she told me that my ablation failed.
I went this route first because it was less invasive and the percentage of success was pretty high. I just happened to be that small perecent that it didn't work for.
I had already decided that I wouldn't be taking any classes this spring semester nor the summer so I decided that the best thing for me was to have the hysterectomy.

Quote:

Unread 03-09-2015, 06:34 AM

Thank you all for your responses. Some good advice, time, prayer, and perspective have me feeling better emotionally, even if not yet physically.

My initial gut reaction was ....take it all out.... but I don't want to rush to a decision out of fear.

I have read some on the after effects of hysterectomy, but what do most people seem to experience afterwards? Research and reading only really get you so far. How severe are some of the changes?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register