Any suggestion for exercises 4 weeks after hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any suggestion for exercises 4 weeks after hysterectomy? Any suggestion for exercises 4 weeks after hysterectomy?

Unread 04-01-2017, 05:03 AM
Any suggestion for exercises 4 weeks after hysterectomy?

Hi,

I am just entering my fourth week. Unfortunately, I still need to take some painkillers, I am still bleeding every day. However, although I go for a walk every day I would really like to do some light exercises. I do not know what would be sensible, that is helpful and not dangerous. My doctor said I could not carry heavier things during 3 months! But he is not very talkative about thinks I CAN do. So maybe somebody has some suggestions?

Thank you so very much in advance, elnura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2017, 05:26 AM
Re: Any suggestion for exercises 4 weeks after hysterectomy?

I asked my doc about doing abdominal exercises at four weeks and he nixed it, said wait until six weeks and then start off slowly and cautiously.

Can you make your walks more challenging, for example by walking hills instead of flats? Can you go for longer walks or for two walks a day instead of one?

Also, how has your doc defined "heavier things"? I was told not to lift anything more than 10 lbs for the first four weeks, but at my four weeks my doc raised that to 30 lbs.
Unread 04-01-2017, 05:30 AM

Thank you for your reply, very helpful. OK, I will walk uphill - I am living in the hills, so that is not a big problem. As to the definition of heavier things: that was something I forgot to ask at my last appointment, but will be asking at my next one. Thanks for reminding be.

kind regards and good luck to you, elnura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2017, 11:02 AM

Not sure how "hilly" you're talking, but my Dr. said no hiking. Just throwing it out there- u can only heal once.
I'm on week 4 too and still bleeding as well- glad to hear I'm not the only one.
Unread 04-01-2017, 11:14 AM

OK, that is another difficult one - what does hilly mean? Some paths here are quite steep, but I have walked some of them without greater problems. There is asphalt on them and I go slowly, so I guess they are OK.

I am also glad to hear that I am not the only one bleeding such a long time. Recently I read a thread where somebody said she was bleeding five weeks straight - so, let's wait and see.
Unread 04-01-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hystocat View Post
Not sure how "hilly" you're talking, but my Dr. said no hiking. Just throwing it out there- u can only heal once.
I'm on week 4 too and still bleeding as well- glad to hear I'm not the only one.
I live in an city with lots of hills. In order to get out of my immediate neighbourhood, I have to go up and down some fairly long steep hills.

Definition of long and steep = when hauling a 30-lb backpack of groceries back up the longest, steepest hill between the supermarket and my apartment, I usually have to stop and catch my breath at least twice.

For the first couple of weeks, I was walking slowly and with short steps, so I stayed on the flat (i.e. in my own neighbourhood). By two weeks, however, I could walk a mile in 15 minutes on the flat. I decided to start practicing on the hills. These are urban hills - paved with sidewalks. :-)

After a couple days of practice, I was able to walk to the supermarket (about a mile) and back with groceries as long as I didn't carry more than 10 lbs at once. My first trip involved 3 750-g containers of yogurt, 4.95 lbs.

Getting out of my own neighbourhood also allowed me to access a park with wooded trails near my home. I started with the broad, easy trails, i.e. the ones where I've seen seniors with walkers and parents with children in strollers strolling along. I *gradually* worked my way up to narrower, rougher trails with more variation in terrain. However, I wasn't climbing up and down rocks, and I also wasn't carrying anything more than an extra long-sleeved shirt and a water bottle.

That's where I was by the time I went to see my doc at four weeks. He cleared me to run, bike, swim, lift up to 30 lbs and return to work at a part-time desk job with restrictions on lifting.

Now obviously different women are going to recover at different rates. You need to listen to your own doctor and your own body. However, I'd say it's true for everyone that "walking" can cover a lot of stages. How your body feels at any one stage is a guide to whether or not you're ready to *gradually* move on to the next stage, always being ready to pull back if your body protests.
Unread 04-01-2017, 11:50 AM

I'm working on my arms or batwings with exercises that don't use obliques. I also have a yoga anatomy book that shows muscles used for each pose. So I am thinking of trying restorative yoga poses that don't use stomach. My doctor said no to every exercise before surgery including walking on treadmill.
Unread 04-01-2017, 12:24 PM

A very simple way of adding additional exercise: swing your arms while you walk! :-)
Unread 04-02-2017, 04:11 AM

Dear sisters,

thank you all for your suggestions and stories. This is really a very helpful way of getting advice and knowing one is not alone. Especially if one has a very good but not very talkative doctor. I live in Spain, so he defies all stereotypes of talkative southerners :

kind regards and perfect recovery, elnura
Unread 04-09-2017, 06:54 AM
Any suggestion for exercises 4 weeks after hysterectomy?

I know this has been said already by I'm on 23 days post op and still bleeding and was concerned so Its helpful to know others out there are too. I love this website. Great tips on walking/exercise everyone and best to all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register