Not ready for work..post opt apt next week | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Not ready for work..post opt  apt next week Not ready for work..post opt apt next week

Unread 12-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Not ready for work..post opt apt next week

I have my post opt apt on monday. I honestly do not feel ready for work. I am so fatigued and cannot even go to a regular grocery store it wipes me out and I do not use a cart.I do not even do a whole lot of errands either and they are short if i do one. My job is really tough at the hoildays and I am on my feet all the time. Taking a potty break is even dificult.I walk around with a little limp still and walk slow. I am not in 2 much pysical pain though and I think I am healing okay.I am concerned that my Dr. knows where i work, and will think I just want out of the holidays. Any suggestion of how to word things as a good plea that I honsetly am not ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2006, 02:28 PM

Be honest and up front with your doctor about how you feel now and give specifics of what you do at work. Some doctors do suggest their patients go back to work on a limited and/or shorter schedule for the first week or two or three. This might be an option for you.

Best wishes to you!
Unread 12-13-2006, 03:24 PM

Hi

You must tell your Dr exactly how you feel. Looking at your surgery date, it appears that you're set to go back at around the *magic* 6 week mark. Hey presto ... 6 weeks ... everything is healed. Yeah, right!

I definitely couldn't have gone back at 6 weeks. Major abdominal surgery is exactly that. A big deal. I was told that I really couldn't expect to feel back to normal until about 3-4 months.

If your doctor knows where you work and how hard it is, then I'm sure that he/she will understand that it's not a good idea for you to go back until the New Year. Say how unwell you still feel. I'm sure you won't be forced to go back. After all, if you are unable to do your job properly, what use will you be?

Take care my friend and keep in touch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2006, 03:32 PM

I agree with the aforementioned replies. You should explain to your doctor how you feel with simple errands and your work responsibilities. Your doctor should suggest light duty or may even allow you to stay off additional time.

Good luck and take care of yourself
Unread 12-13-2006, 03:46 PM

Hey! Pirategrl
Be honest and assertive, it can be difficult especially if your doctor isn't easy to talk to, you need to look after yourself. You really know whats best. I am not going back to work until after the New Year, I only work 5 hrs a day but I am on my feet, with lifting and no breaks. I just felt I needed the extra time to heal physically and emotionally. Good Luck and take care of you!!
Unread 12-13-2006, 03:58 PM

I agree 100%. I took exactly six weeks off work, and my docs didn't tell me when to go back -- they said to go back when I was ready. (To make matters worse, I'm the boss, so I literally could go back whenever I pleased.) Truth be told, I should have taken eight weeks off. I was so dog-tired that I was in bed every night at 7 p.m., and forget about cooking or helping at all.

Be honest with the doc and see what he/she says. Maybe you could start out slow (say, 2-3 hours a day) and work up to a full schedule? You're supposed to "ease back" into your full schedule, not "dive back" into it.

to you. Get some rest.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register