Had hysterectomy today 5/9: pain management | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had hysterectomy today 5/9: pain management Had hysterectomy today 5/9: pain management

Unread 05-09-2017, 03:07 PM
Had hysterectomy today 5/9: pain management

Hi

I had my hysterectomy this morning. I'm not up on all the acronyms but it was a horizontal abdominal incision, tubes and cervix gone as well.

I'm in my hospital room now. The hospital is VERY strict on pain medication so before the op I had Tylenol, Toradol and Gapupentin.

I came round in quite a bit of pain so they gave me more Tylenol.

My catheter is causing a lot of discomfort. I've had one before with no problems. It feels like it's postioned badly. I asked them to tape it to my leg as you normally would but they didn't seem keen on the idea so I asked my husband to buy some and I'll do it
myself when he visits.

I had I have IV therapy team do my IV. I always have to have them because my veins collapse easily. They put it in my arm on the inside of my elbow and they alarm goes off every time I bend my arm. They showed me how to reset the system and check my IV so at least I can do that now.

I have to stay in at least two nights. I'm on clear liquid today and tomorrow so drinking lots of water as I plot my escape.

I've cried a lot with pain. In all honesty I think I'd be better off at home where it's nice and quiet and I can take Tylenol and ibuprofen there.

Sorry if this sounds grumpy. They nurses are really nice but the pain management policy here is awful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2017, 04:08 PM
Re: Hysterectomy today

That's a crazy policy, I'm sorry you're in pain! Do they not have you on a pump with pain meds you can self administer? Mine gave me juice every six minutes if I wanted it. I used that a lot the first day! You should not have to suffer, it's not like you're going to get addicted. Tylenol doesn't cut it. Sending you virtual hugs and hope you feel better soon. The first few days is the worst for pain. Keep us posted!
Unread 05-09-2017, 04:30 PM
Re: Hysterectomy today

Even if your hospital has a strict policy on opioid use, I don't get why they won't give you an NSAID like Toradol or even ibuprofen. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) isn't an NSAID and is metabolized differently, so it can be given in staggered doses with an NSAID.

Did you try asking if you could have ibuprofen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
Even if your hospital has a strict policy on opioid use, I don't get why they won't give you an NSAID like Toradol or even ibuprofen. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) isn't an NSAID and is metabolized differently, so it can be given in staggered doses with an NSAID.

Did you try asking if you could have ibuprofen?
They gave me Toradol before the surgery and a couple of times after.

My husband bought some
tape for my catheter and we placed it so the cath doesn't keep dragging.
Unread 05-09-2017, 07:48 PM
Re: Hysterectomy today: pain management

Hi Sibsie, I am sorry your pain is not being well managed! The Toradol will hopefully take the edge off, but I'm surprised they are giving you Tylenol and gabapentin at this point in your recovery. Have you requested Tylenol 3? This is what I was given after my hysterectomy, and it worked well. I took 2 every 4 hours for the first 12 hours or so and then went down to 1 every 4 hours. If you are suffering in pain, please ask to see your doctor.

Below is the link to your post op recovery group. This is your place to post your progress and share updates with your Sisters having surgery this week. It's a lovely place for information and support on your hysterectomy recovery journey.

May 8-14 Recovery Thread

I am sending hugs with the hopes you feel better soon!

Unread 05-10-2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibsie View Post
Hi

I had my hysterectomy this morning. I'm not up on all the acronyms but it was a horizontal abdominal incision, tubes and cervix gone as well.

I'm in my hospital room now. The hospital is VERY strict on pain medication so before the op I had Tylenol, Toradol and Gapupentin.

I came round in quite a bit of pain so they gave me more Tylenol.

My catheter is causing a lot of discomfort. I've had one before with no problems. It feels like it's postioned badly. I asked them to tape it to my leg as you normally would but they didn't seem keen on the idea so I asked my husband to buy some and I'll do it
myself when he visits.

I had I have IV therapy team do my IV. I always have to have them because my veins collapse easily. They put it in my arm on the inside of my elbow and they alarm goes off every time I bend my arm. They showed me how to reset the system and check my IV so at least I can do that now.

I have to stay in at least two nights. I'm on clear liquid today and tomorrow so drinking lots of water as I plot my escape.

I've cried a lot with pain. In all honesty I think I'd be better off at home where it's nice and quiet and I can take Tylenol and ibuprofen there.

Sorry if this sounds grumpy. They nurses are really nice but the pain management policy here is awful.
How are you even typing? I didn't fully wake up til the next day. I cried like a baby for the first two weeks. It was extremely difficult but it got better. I'm on Day 19 post surgery. Moving better. Lot less pain. Although I have these stinging sensations of pain that run through me but I stopped taking pain medication last Tuesday. What kind of incision did you have? I had a bikini incision cut. It closed after a week on the exterior. I would ask for a different pain medicine. They had to up my dosage on day 2.
Unread 05-10-2017, 01:13 AM

My God you are a strong woman. The hospital I went to was a woman's hospital and a big advocate for keeping your pain meds ahead of your pain as pain is not condusive to healing. I only had a fully vaginal hysterectomy and the minute I asked why I was still have menstrual cramps. (That s what it felt like right after) they shot me with dilaudid. I didn't go to straight ibuprofen til 4 days post op, I had 5 mg Oxycodones at home and used them because I believed what they preached. I am so so sorry! RANT all you want if that helps you make it til you can get home. The good news is it'll be over soon and you have a right to be grumpy! I would probably be a lot worse than that.
Unread 05-10-2017, 01:50 AM
Re: Hysterectomy today: pain management

Oh darling, I'm having lots of pain too and it really is counterproductive in your healing. You need to tell them you want codeine or tramadol or oramorph.
For example. I've had a diclofenac suppository every 16 hours. Codeine and paracetamol every six. Oramorph for break through pain whenever and now am on tramadol and paracetamol which is working well.
Don't ask them, tell them. Keep pressing your buzzer. Please. You will heal so much faster if your pain relief is addressed properly.
Unread 05-10-2017, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchouli666 View Post
Oh darling, I'm having lots of pain too and it really is counterproductive in your healing. You need to tell them you want codeine or tramadol or oramorph.
For example. I've had a diclofenac suppository every 16 hours. Codeine and paracetamol every six. Oramorph for break through pain whenever and now am on tramadol and paracetamol which is working well.
Don't ask them, tell them. Keep pressing your buzzer. Please. You will heal so much faster if your pain relief is addressed properly.
I completely agree with what you are saying. Seems to me that any hospital being strict or not willing to give pain meds for what pain meds are intended for has a liability issue. I really hope they do something for her. I hurt just thinking about it. I understand the problem that narcotics cause all over the world but for temporary use they are a medical marvel and should not be denied someone who just had their belly cut open!
Unread 05-10-2017, 05:06 AM

Sister

I hope you were able to get some rest last night. Rest is SO important in our healing after this procedure. I'm concerned that with the hospital not properly controlling your pain that this will hinder/slow your recovery

Please keep advocating for yourself with the nursing staff/doctor. There's no reason for your suffering in pain when there are so many medications out there other than Tylenol.

and I'll be keeping you in my thoughts!

Sahana

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register