TAH Slow recovery - 4 days post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Slow recovery - 4 days post hysterectomy Slow recovery - 4 days post hysterectomy

Unread 05-19-2015, 10:54 AM
Slow recovery - 4 days post hysterectomy

I'm at 4 days post op and just now feeling well enough to post about it. The recovery is slow. I have a ton of help so I am able rest as much as I need but the pain is still quite bad. I am reacting to the stronger pain meds so I'm not taking as many as I should. And today for the day I feel pain at the actual incision site in addition to the internal cramping pain. The goods news is that I can make it the bathroom by myself and my bladder seems to be finding its place because it's less painful than at first. Hoping my recovery speeds up a little...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2015, 11:28 AM
Re: Slow recovery

This is a long-haul recovery and at four days, you're just getting into it. My fourth day after surgery was my first full day at home. You might want to think in terms of weeks rather than days.

I found the first two weeks to be pretty slow. I spent a lot of time going for short, frequent walks and sitting outside reading, sewing and playing with my cats. My body wanted to walk slowly, with short steps, so that's what I did. It wasn't until the end of the second week that I could take long strides and walk at my normal pace.

Also I napped pretty regularly the first week and occasionally the second week. And my appetite didn't start to pick up until the second week, and even then it was still a bit pickier than usual.

Try to take things easy and listen to your body.
Unread 05-19-2015, 12:17 PM

I had the same operation as yourself and I am four weeks postop and still feeling quite sore. My first two weeks were probably my worst and I agree with previous poster that you need to be thinking in terms of weeks rather than days. Your first couple of weeks are probably going to be your worst. Obviously everybody does heal at different rates. So you might find that you are further along than myself. I had a lot going on in there. Plus a bladder repair.

Just remember that you have had a major operation and that's going to take some major healing so give yourself a break.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2015, 12:21 PM

could the internal cramping pain be from gas or constipation? If so, drinking a lot of water, trying to eat fiber and walking can help with that.
Unread 05-19-2015, 06:46 PM

Give it time, 4 days is still the start of recovery. I'm at two weeks today and have found the second week harder than the first.

Drink lots of water to help with the cramping pains, I'm still getting the occasional cramping gas pain, especially if I overdo things or don't drink enough water.
Unread 05-19-2015, 07:18 PM

Remember you had major surgery and your body needs the time to heal. You are very early in your recovery . . . Initial recovery is 6-8 weeks. We all heal at different rates . . . increase your activities little by little. Use this time to allow your body to heal. Continue to drink lots, rest lots, and increase your walking. Read a book by your favorite author, watch a good movie, talk with friends, cross stitch, crochet, knit . . . whatever you like to do to relax.

4 days is early to be off the stronger meds if you are still in pain. Have you contacted your doctor and let him/er know that you are reacting to your meds? Keeping your pain under control is important to your healing. Cramping is very common as your intestines fill in where your uterus was and from the moving around of your organs during surgery.

Remember that we are here for you. Please consider joining us on your recovery thread. Recovery Thread May11-17

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register