Anyone from UK?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone from UK?? Anyone from UK??

Unread 11-08-2000, 12:16 PM
Anyone from UK??

Hi I visited this great site a few months ago when I was scheduled to have a TAH last August, I put it off for many reasons, family commitments, work and I thought I did not really need it, now I know I do as I am sick of all this bleeding. I am having it done on November 15th and I am petrified, I know I am going to be in for 5-7 days and I am wondering if I will need to spend time in bed when I come home or can I just be up and about as normal without lifting or anything of course, I have so many questions and wonder if anyone from the UK can answer my queries.
Thank you
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2000, 01:52 PM
Yes I'm in UK

Hi Chris,

I'm in Newcastle on Tyne. I had my TVH on 27th October. I was out in 3 days and did not need to go to bed. I have been taking it easy though and just lazing about - with all the wind and rain it's a relief to be able to stay in bed late and not have to go to work!!

I had mine for large fibroids, my Gyno had to cut my uterus in half to be able to get it out. It weighed nearly 7lbs that means that for the last year I have been lugging that about with me.

Today I went shopping with my friend and we had lunch, I feel great and only a tad tired.

I go for my post op check up next Tuedsay and I'm hoping that I get the ok to drive again because I'm getting very Bored.

My op was simpler because I had no external cut but if I can answer any questions I will......

Unread 11-08-2000, 02:51 PM
Anyone from UK??

Thanks for answering, I am having my hysterectomy for fibroids but mine are only 2 inches but causing lots of problems, I'm pleased to hear you are doing so well. I am having mine done abdominal because thats the way my surgeon likes to do it. I am very nervous about the anasethtic(sp) and then the pain afterwards, did you have a catheter and if so for how long? how soon can you get out of bed and move around? was the wind pain very bad? do you get a feeling of something missing now the uterus has gone? Sorry to bombard you with all these questions.
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2000, 03:07 PM
Anyone from UK??

Hi, Cris--welcome back. I know how worried you must be. I was in the hospital for 5 days, and when I got home, I didn't confine myself to bed. I did take it easy, though. I would sit for a couple of hours in the living room, and if I got tired, I would either nap on the sofa or in my bed. I found myself extremely tired the first week. BTW, I also had an abdominal incision. You are encouraged to get up and walk by the next day. The nurses are there to assist you. Walking is the best thing you can do for yourself, and it helps alleviate the dreaded gas. The gas wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but for some it's definitely a problem. Don't drink carbonated beverages, and don't drink through a straw. I never actually felt anything missing. My uterus caused so many problems I was happy to see it go. I'm glad you came back to visit and we're more than happy to help. Best wishes,
Unread 11-08-2000, 03:19 PM
Anyone from UK??

Thanks for the info its very helpful, with the missing, I did not mean emotionally, I meant does it feel a bit empty inside with the uterus gone? Do you bleed after a TAH? and if so how long does that last? I'll be glad when all this is over, I live practically next door to the hospital so I get the reminder every day, I can see me jumping of the trolley and legging it home....
Thanks for listening
Chris
Unread 11-08-2000, 03:37 PM
Anyone from UK??

I guess you mean could I tell there was something missing? No, I didn't feel that way at all. As far as bleeding goes, I don't know about that first night. I remember the nurses checking for bleeding, but I don't remember any. I'm sure I didn't have any bleeding, or even any discharge, after I was up and around beginning on Day 2. I'm sure you'll have more questions as the day gets closer. Let me know if I can help.
Unread 11-08-2000, 04:16 PM
Anyone from UK??

Hi! I had a TAH in August, so may be of some help. I had a catheter for the first night only, but I was very glad to have it so I wouldn't have to get up at all. It didn't hurt when they took it out, and they put it in when I was asleep. I was able to get up and walk on the day after surgery, but extremely slowly and I was amazed at how quickly I tired. However, I do recommend walking as often as you can manage. It REALLY helps with your wind, and I am convinced all the walking I did led to my very quick recovery. My doctor said she had never seen such a quick and uneventful recovery, and I walked at least 4-5 times a day. Also, as others have mentioned, don't drink anything carbonated, and don't use a straw. Lots of fruit juice will also help with wind and keep your digestive system working smoothly. I didn't really notice the uterus being gone, but it sure is nice not having that 5 pound fibroid! Feel free to e-mail me if you want to talk. By the way, I'm not in the UK, but my husband is from there, and we visit his parents near Stourbridge every year!
Unread 11-09-2000, 09:15 AM
Anyone from UK??

Hi Chris,

I was worried about the anaesthetic too but the nurse was great and kept me very relaxed, I had an anti sickness injection as I hate being sick but unfortunately sickness is much more likely after this type of operation , or so the anaesthetist told me. It wasn't too bad though apart from throwing up on my bed because the nurse didn't get back to me in time with a sick bowl - yuk

I did have a catheter in for the first 24 hrs and also had a saline drip on for 12 hours so don't be surprised if you wake up all tied up. The gas didn't hit me until about four days post op but I had some pure pepermint oil capsules which helped as did a drink of warm milk with ginger powder in it before bed. Also as soon as you can get walking to help disperse it.

You will be out of bed the day after your op.and able to walk about as soon as you feel able. I did not feel empty with my uterus gone, I did feel a good bit slimmer though!!! I haven't been bleeding at all apart from when I was just back from theatre but I think this varies from person to person - take some nice pads in with you though in case you do because they give you maternity pads which are so uncomfortable.

It's a shame your surgeon doesn't do vaginal because it is so much quicker to get over. Apparently TVA is not as popular in the UK as it is in France and USA. However I'm sure you will do just fine.

Listen to your body and if you want to sleep do so - even if it is only an hour since you got up in the morning. If you work take as long as you can off to recover and gain strength. I'm off work until Jan 2nd. We are lucky in the UK because it seems that in The USA employers don't give very good sick leave.

Any other questions please feel free to ask or if you just want to share your worries!

Is it still raining in Wales? I'm thinking of building an Ark to fill in my spare time!!

Unread 11-09-2000, 01:32 PM
Anyone from UK??

Chris,
I'm in Ireland. I had TAH 3rd October, and feel great now.

I was in for eight nights total (standard procedure here) - it seems the Americans come out a lot quicker, but I was actually happy to be in for most of it.
Didn't have any bleeding at all, but for the last three weeks have a murky discharge which is manageable.

I had one of those morphine things attached to my wrist for the first three days, which you press when you feel any pain. This is great - ask your surgeon about it. Any pain I had since was kept under control and I haven't had any pain since a week after coming home.

The catheter is no big deal. Ask your surgeon when it will come out if you see him the day before your op. In fact write down anything you want to ask, and when you're admitted, ask any of the medical personnel that you come in contact with. I didn't want an oxygen mask after my op. and told them so before-hand, so they didn't give me one.

You won't have to stay in bed at all, all the time, when you get home, but listen to your body and rest plenty without guilt. I still need to sort of collapse at night.

Much good luck to you.

Strawberry

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register