New here: post-ablation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here:  post-ablation New here: post-ablation

Unread 09-02-2005, 06:12 AM
New here: post-ablation

Hi,
Anyone out there that went through ablation and have had nothing but problems afterwards?

I am new here. My name is Shelly. I had an ablation 4 months ago for what the doctor said would get rid of my periods. He never did any type of tests that told him why I would get heavy periods and why my periods skipped for 2 months. He just said let's do the ablation. If it don't work I will give you a hysterectomy. A week after the surgery I told him I had pain shooting down in my right leg. He said don't worry about that it is because your legs were up in the air for an hour. Well in 2 months after that I began having horrible stomach cramps that went around to my back and would shoot into both of my legs. I was rushed to the hospital and they shot me up with morphine and told me it was IBS. I missed 2 weeks of work (that is how bad the pain was) I was also on pain killers during that time. It went away but a month later it came back. I saw my family doctor someone new and she said it was nothing just IBS. 4 days later my husband and I were out of town when I had to be rushed to the hospital again. This time I was told I was impacted. They gave me this nasty stuff to drink and told me to drink one bottle that night and another the next day. It cleaned me out but the pain did not leave. 3 days later I was back at my family doctor. She gave me a pelvic exam another X-ray and said I had an yeast infection and that I was still impacted. Told me to drink two more bottles of that nasty stuff. This was on a Tue. By Thur morning I woke up and saw my dinner from the night before. The pain was still there and getting worse. I called my insurance company and told them what was going on. They found me a new doctor. I called the office and set up appointment for that up coming Mon. But by Thur. afternoon I was down in bed. The pain was horrible I could barley move. All I did was cry. After a while I felt something come out of me. I got up and try to make it to the bathroom but did not. Blood just poured out of me. I was in the kitchen. My kids freaked out and yelled for my husband. He got me in the bathroom and stuff towels up me. The blood slowed down and I was able to get dress but I was doubling over from pain. My husband rushed me to my hospital but we did not make there he stopped at the first one he saw because by than I was howling. They got me in there and blood was pouring. Again I was given morphine. The ER doctor gave me a pelvic exam and said my uterus and ovaries were very swelled. He could not believe that my doctor who saw me on Tue. did not notice this. He also did blood work and said there was no infections. He than called the new doctor I was going to meet on Mon. and told her what he found. By Friday the blood went away and so did the pain. Mon. I met with the new doctor and she did a pap, plus a wet pap and she to comfirmed what the ER doctor said my uterus and ovaries were swelled. She said there was no infections. My pap came back normal. She said I would need an ultrasound done but not at the hospital she worked out of. She was sending me to the best of the best and also having me see a GYN. at the new hospital. She said she is pretty sure it has something to do with the ablation but could not understand why I was given it without any tests done to see what was going on. She also told me she could not rule out cancer. But felt that was slim. This coming Thur. I go in for my ultrasound. I am so scared. I try to think positive and keep in my mind that it is from the ablation. But it is hard at times. I had more bleeding 2 weeks ago and now I have brown discharge that just does not go away. This is what I have been going through. I am grateful in finding this site. My friends, my husband and my older children just don't understand.
Thanks for this site,
Shelly
P.S. Yesterday I had my ultrasound done. Today sometime I will have my results. I am on pins and needles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-02-2005, 09:23 PM

Hi MossyRose,

I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time. I hope you have your ultrasound results by now and possibly an answer for what the problem is. I had a pink - to brownish pink discharge for a long time after my ablation. I was told to expect a brownish discharge because the uterine lining is burned during the ablation and that is being shed over time.

When my periods resumed I had a problem with blood being trapped behind the scarred-off lining and it caused horrific cramping.

Good luck with your new physician. I hope you are feeling better soon and getting some answers about your situation and what's causing the problems.

Take care ~
s,
Beth
Unread 09-04-2005, 03:59 AM

Hi Shelly
I had an ablation last October. More than 2 months later I started getting pelvic pain that gradually got more severe. It was only relieved when I suddenly started bleeding again.
Over the next few months I had 2 ultrasounds which showed a mass on my right side. The pain and bleeding continued, sometimes going away completely, sometimes being debilitating. (I had an ovary removed over 20 years ago but wasn't entirely sure which one)
Given my long history of gyn problems I reluctantly agreed to a hysterectomy.
The pain turned out to be caused by a very swollen right fallopian tube attached only to my uterus. (Turned out it was the right ovary removed earlier).
I now regret not asking for exploratory surgery to find out my problem as despite the problems it caused I would prefer to have kept my uterus. I asked my gyn if the ablation caused the infection in my tube and he said not necessarily. Personally I believe it did, it was too much of a coincidence.
I hope you get some satisfactory answers from your doctor regarding your ultrasound. Sometimes they can be inconclusive.
Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2005, 06:35 PM
ablations

Over and over again this is what I hear. A lot of pain and cramping after an ablation. I have not had one and don't think I want to waste my time and money on something that just seems to so frequently cause more problems. I also hear of a lot of daily discharge that wasn't there pre-ablation. Seems to lighten the bleeding for a while but then it resumes once again.
Unread 09-05-2005, 03:00 AM

I'm sure the majority of ablations work well, there is an endometrial ablation website similar to this one, where you can find lots of success stories. I for one do not regret trying ablation first. I had my hyst 7 months after my ablation and even though I was bleeding again, it wasn't as heavy, and it wasn't every day.
Unread 09-05-2005, 04:33 AM

I had a TCRE (transcervical resection of the endometrium which is a similar procedure to ablation) in January and was left with chronic pain(in my right side) and the same amount of bleeding as before. I was told I would be off work for 2 weeks and ended up being off for 4 1/2 months !!!
I had a hysterectomy on 27 July and just wish they had done that 8 years ago when I first presented to the gynaecologist. I have now used up all of my paid sick leave which has put obvious pressure on family finances. I have had some complications from this surgery but interestingly the severe pain I had in my right side has gone.
I hope you get the explanations and treatment that willeradicate your awful problems
God Bless
Jean
Unread 09-21-2005, 07:47 PM

I want to thank everyone who has responded to my post. I would have done this sooner but my computer had been on the blink for awhile. I want to update all of you. I go and see a new doctor on the 3rd of Oct. They are going to run another kind of ultrasound. One where the shot dye up in the uterus. They think that possibly my cause for bleeding and pain is scar tissue and depending how bad it is I may have a hysterectomy. If that is case I wish that the doctor who did this ablation did that for me. Instead I have had to go through all of this. But at least I will have answer. I will keep post again when I find out. Thank you all of you. Your angels to me.
Hugs,
Shelly
Unread 09-22-2005, 08:44 AM

Wow, you have been through alot... I can't believe your first doctor did that without further testing. I hope all goes well and you like & trust the next doctor.

Sisters Are the Best

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register