Going to a wedding - dress, swelly belly, feel ugly | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going to a wedding - dress, swelly belly, feel ugly Going to a wedding - dress, swelly belly, feel ugly

Unread 07-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Going to a wedding - dress, swelly belly, feel ugly

In two weeks time my niece is getting married. It's a big church wedding with posh frocks and DJs all round. SO is going to be in full dress kilt (Ruby keeps muttering - nothing in the vagina yet, nothing in the vagina yet )

I don't have a dress to wear! The one I had bought before we knew my surgery would be this year no longer fits round my ENORMOUS swelly belly. I have a 37" bust, 38" hips and a whopping 33" waist, up from a 29" pre-surgery. I feel like a fat, beer belly man right now.

Help!!!!!

I've been offered the chance to go to a designer clothes store outlet mall next week but I'll still only be 3.5 weeks post SAH/BSO by then so won't be able to walk round or shop too much. My sister and DH are coming with me and I'm just going to tell the shop assistants I need my sisters help to try on posh frocks.

Ideally I'd like an ankle or mid-calf length dress but I'm open to suggestions on tops and skirts, I have lost lots of weight off my face and shoulders post surgery and have a good bustline so was wondering about a bustier style with empire neckline. I also reckon I'll need flat shoes and the previously bought 3" heels are out

If any kind soul fancies doing some virtual shopping for me and putting links to dresses they think would look nice or styles that might cover my swelly belly but NOT look like maternity dresses I'd be ever so grateful. I don't think I could bear it to spend the whole day having people ask me when the baby is due
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Re: Going to a wedding - dress, swelly belly, feel ugly

Oh, Ruby,
I'm not a shopper, but I get where you're coming from. Plus, you made me laugh!
I've been spending the time since my surgery in the same two skirts that I borrowed from my dd. They're 2 sizes bigger than I usually wear, and one has an elastic waist. They're "hippy" skirts. Long and comfy. Can't fit into my pants, even though I weigh less than last year.

Maybe something flowy and silky. Kinda like lingerie/robe but fancy.

Keep us updated on what you pick out. And how the wedding went. Sounds like fun! And take a cold shower after. Your SO sounds so handsome!

Colleen
Unread 07-11-2009, 05:05 PM

This sounds like an adventure for sure! Are there any special places that you normally go to? I think I would go with something a little free-flowing for your mid section: I love your idea of "bustier style with empire neckline". I just went online and see a ton of ideas for "empire style dresses." (these are in the US though) not sure what color would you be interested in? Maybe with a bunch of us, we can help you figure this out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2009, 05:06 PM

Uh! Also, you just had surgery so be kind to yourself! LOL!
Unread 07-11-2009, 08:45 PM

The only advice I can give you is please please please dont wear anything tight in any way.. I had surgery on May 5 and we had to go to my 's funeral May 16th and I wore nylons and a contorl top cami Bad bad bad idea ..So whatever you wear please remeber comfort
Unread 07-11-2009, 09:20 PM

What about an off the shoulder A cut dress....? Something that comes straight down from below the bust...not gathered. And just let it hang? Something with enough fabric...when you twirl around you can show your legs off.
Unread 07-12-2009, 04:01 AM

Good luck! Hopefully in 2 weeks the swelly belly will be subsiding a bit anyway. I hope you have a great great time! I"m going to a wedding on the 25th and keep worrying I'll have some champers, forget about being post-op and give it too much on the dance floor, twisting, etc! and then be SO sorry afterwards! haha
Watch out for men in kilts!xx cleo
Unread 07-12-2009, 09:21 AM

Don't know about in Scotland but in Florida one of the big dress styles is ankle length, flowing with just about any type of bustline/top you can imagine - strapless, halter or anything else. The big thing is - they are sort of form fitting through the bust but other than that, very loose fitting. Somewhat fashioned after the dresses in the 60's but many and quite "dressy". I have been living in them. They also come in all colors from tie-died to basic black. Just an idea. Good luck.

Wanda
Unread 07-12-2009, 11:02 AM

Lots of good ideas there. I now have an idea of what to put into Google and I can stay firm if my sister tries to put me into a corset and tight dress and will tell her my hyster sisters say NO.

I like the idea of a teal green as DH's kilt is powder blue and greens plaid.

I'm tee total as I have no alcohol tolerance at all so I'm safe there I hope you have a good time at the wedding Cleo

I'll go and investigate A line cuts as well.

Thanks folks, I'll keep you posted.
Unread 07-12-2009, 11:54 PM

Remember to take it easy. I know I would feel the same way you do about feeling "ugly" but remember this to celebrate them promising each other, in front of God, to love and care for each other. How we look is never as important to other people as we think. ;-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register