Need list | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-14-2002, 06:06 AM
Need list

Hello, It's Friday, go in to hospital on Tuesday. Scared , I can't think. Is there anything I should be doing. I just seem to be in suspended animation. I can't eat , think or get myself going. Is there something I should be doing. Also I'm having house remodeled in July. Husband is doing demolishion. Contractor wants painting and some other things done before he comes in to do his stuff. My question is, Will I be able to paint 3 weeks post op. If i don't carry the paint and just have someone else move it where i need it. I live to paint.

My kids laugh, 19, 16, 11, my moms not a cook she's a builder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2002, 07:49 AM
Need list

Hi! Recovery is generally 6-8 weeks before you're released by the dr to do things that take abs, like painting. I would not count on being able to do that, or even wanting to at the 3 week point.

My dr. told me "basically bedrest" for the first 4 weeks, then light jobs, like folding clothes, easy dinner prep., etc. When I was released for all activities at 9 weeks, I added them gradually and carefully. It is easy to overdo and be in pain and misery, even after the dr. releases you if you are not careful. A friend told me "Do half of what you feel like doing ". That was great advice.

Bending, stretching , pulling, pushing, lifting are all How would you be applying the paint? Maybe it would be best to pay someone to do it, just this once. It does not sound like you would be able to do it at your own pace, which would be absolutely nec. in my opinion IF the dr. allows it..

Be sure to ask the dr. what they think about activities you plan to do and how soon they will allow them. You only have one chance to heal properly and you don't want to put that in jeopardy. I always vote for avoiding the complications that arise from overdoing. They range from prolonging the recovery time and being miserable, to real damage that requires further surgery and worse. I don't gamble when it comes to my health.

Pre op it is so hard to concentrate on getting anything done. Prioritize and do the things you alone can do. Leave everything else to someone else, if possible.

You will need to prepare what you need to take to the hospital and what you will need when you get home. Meal plans or someone who will take care of that.

If you need help with your stress / anxiety ask your dr. for something to ease it.

Best Wishes.
Unread 06-14-2002, 08:06 AM
Hi Serf1

Regarding what you should be doing pre-op, the number one thing you should be doing is taking care of yourself. Pamper yourself. Do stuff that you enjoy that will relax you. Go out to dinner with your family, rent a movie and pop some popcorn, take a long hot candlelight bubble bath (you won't be able to do that after surgery for awhile.)

Other than that, prepare your recovery area. I set up a table next to my bed with a small TV/VCR combo, videos to watch, books to read, my pain medication, waterbottle, lotion, tissues, etc. I've also spend a lot of time in my recliner with my laptop computer. Stock up on easy to prepare meals for your family, cook ahead of time and freeze meals, or buy pre-prepared foods. Stock up on groceries, you won't be able to shop for awhile. I also brought in a plastic chair for the shower, you won't be able to take baths for awhile and the first few times showering can wipe out your energy, so the chair in the shower was great.

In regards to painting at three weeks, I doubt if you'll be up to that. I'm three weeks post-op yesterday, and there is no way I could paint a room right now. You'll get tired very easily, and you'll need to rest frequently. The main important thing is to NOT overdo it. You only have one chance to heal right and you don't want to jeapordize your recovery.

s and prayers to you,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2002, 08:12 AM
Need list

I'm going in on Tuesday too. I know what you mean, I feel that I am paralyzed at times. I can barely believe that I'm having this done. I don't know what I'm worried about to tell you the truth. I just feel worried and anxious. I have spent a good part of the morning making my list of things to do and things to pack. I am going to try to enjoy my weekend as much as possible. Try to do the same if you can. My prayers are with you on Tuesday.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register