I did not know that!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I did not know that!!! I did not know that!!!

Unread 03-30-2005, 07:33 AM
I did not know that!!!

I had my last appointment yesterday with my doctor and we were discussing the options of what kind of hysterectomy she was going to do . When it came to the part of keeping cervix or not she stated that one of the guidelines for keeping cervix or not is cervixcal cancer. When she explained that cervical cancer was "sexually transmitted" and that if I have had a sexual partner for a long time and no abnormal paps I could and should keep my cervix. (She had other guidelines as well that I did not mention). But since when was cervical cancer sexually transmitted? My surgery is April 6th and I am still nervous but not as much after my appointment yesterday. Hope this helps someone elce out there and thanks for everone great support.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2005, 07:49 AM
I did not know that!!!

From what I understand. Maybe I'm wrong. But Genital warts has some kind of effect on the cervix. If a wart attaches to the cervix it COULD turn into cancer if it is left untreated. Now I don't know if it's all that way. But I was told the same thing. I didn't keep my cervix due to the endo. Best of luck to you with your surgery.
Unread 03-30-2005, 07:56 AM
I did not know that!!!

Hi Mrs. 901,

You bring up a topic that I ran into before my surgery as well. I had a THO/BSO 8 days ago, and at an appointment before my surgery I made a passing comment about how great it will be not to have to have paps. He said that while my cervix would be gone, which means no cervical cancer, that I would still need paps to be cautious. I had pre-cervical cancer/dysplasia on my cervix at age 21, from hpv. I am now 37, but over the years I have had abnormal paps on and off. However, each time they did a biopsy on my cervix it was normal. He said the the virus can continue to live, and still needs to be watched. So... having said all of that, remember I am not a doctor, and I am sure I got a bit of the information wrong, but that is where I am. I did go ahead and have him take everything, including the ovaries and cervix. I kinda figured if you were in there, take it! PLEASE try not to worry, I promise it will go well. We are all here for you. And, you may want to do what I did, stop reading this message board for a while. There were times that all of the scary stories started to get to me and added undue stress. Again, we are there for you, and good luck!

Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2005, 08:11 AM
I did not know that!!!

I think what your doc is talking about is sexually transmitted Human Papillomavirus (HPV) or called genital warts. I HEARD (this is not gospel) that certain strains of that virus are responsible for up to 80% of cervical cancer. I do know for certain that HPV is a cause of cervical cancer, but I don't know if the percentage rate is 80%.
Unread 03-30-2005, 08:20 AM
I did not know that!!!

I would suggest you research 'HPV virus". There are many strains of it. Some can cause warts, others don't. Though the warts do not turn into cancer, but could be present along with dysplasia.

Dysplasia, is a precancerous condition that if left untreated can turn into cervical cancer. It is detected through abnormal pap smears, and has no symptoms, so it is imperative that women be getting their pap smears.

From what you wrote, it does not sound like you have cervical cancer or dyspasia, so you would be best to keep your cervix. But it's not exactly the cancer that is transmitted, but the virus that can lead to the cancer. it actually quite common from what I have learned.

Your doctor will know your history and will lead you on the right path. do your research and you'll feel much better, about your desicion.

This is a great source of information and has great people who have been there or are facing some of the same things you are. I can't get over how wonderful everyone has been and how many shoulders there are here to lean on.

Keep your chin up, we are all here for you
Unread 03-30-2005, 12:00 PM
I did not know that!!!

According to my doctor all cervical cancer is caused by HPV. There are a ton of different strains and only certain ones cause cancer. You can be tested for the various strains. My doctor said if someone has cervical cancer and they don't know why it is probably from a strain of HPV that hasn't been identified yet.

In my opinion everyone should get pap-smears even after they have a hysterectomy. My dh and I were dianosed with HPV 13 years after we met, and yes there hasn't been any cheating going on! This is a virus and they can lie dormant for years, then anything that weakens your system, stress, etc...can give it a chance to come out and start in on your system.

Once you have the virus you always have it. I'm a little unclear on this, and need to talk to my doctor, but I did read that once you have an "episode" where it causes dysplasia, if you get rid of the dysplasia it won't come back. Kind of like getting the smallpox vaccine, once your system has experienced the virus, it can fight it. Like I said, I need to get more info.

Good luck, read read read all you can, and know that waiting is the hardest part...healing is easy compared to waiting!

Take care!
Unread 03-30-2005, 12:15 PM
I did not know that!!!

Did my research when I had dysplasia

There is a high correlation between women who have multiple sexual partners and cervical cancer. Condyloma, HPV, Trich, etc can all cause abnormal cells... one partner equals less risk of exposure.
Unread 03-30-2005, 05:09 PM
I did not know that!!!

Unfortunatly there are those of us who have had 2 partners, our dh and one other, and our dh has only had one other partner....

HPV is so prevelant more people than not have it. I just hope the vaccine works for our daughters!
Unread 03-30-2005, 09:46 PM
I did not know that!!!

To answer all of your questions (andI am no expert). The entire reason that I am having my hysterectomy is because of precancerous cells (dysplasia) and have asked my dr. about me possably having an STD. She told me I have absolutly with out a doubt do not have any form of an STD, exspeacialy due to the HPV virus. She stated that not all cervical cancers or even Cervical dysplasia are all related to HPV. There are no definate known causes of cervical cancers or dysplasia only possible risk factors.

The possible risk factors include, Sex at an early age, many sexual partners at a young age, SMOKING, having a hystory or family history of gynecological cancer, oral contraceptives for five years or more, low vit. A, and HPV.

I tend to get very upset when people try to say I have an STD because I have CIN III (severe cervical dysplasia) when I have been married for 9 years and my husband and I have been nothing but fathfull to eachother since we were 16. I have done a lot of research on this because I am going though it right now. And is the hole reason for my sergery. You can look up info on cervical cancer/dysplasia on the web at OVMC Wemons Health. That is were I have recived a ton of info and also from my dr.
Unread 03-31-2005, 07:19 AM
I did not know that!!!

Sharon, I'm so sorry you're having to go through all the stress of a hysterectomy with the STD stuff on top of that. I know when I was first diagnosed the stigma was horrible. I hope you are doing well and recover quickly!!! Know that waiting is the hardest thing and the LAVH is way simpler compared!!

I had my LAVH last month and feel pretty good now! Please let me know if you have any questions...I'm an open book and will tell all!!!

Good luck...

Sara

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register