Confused | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-04-2004, 09:48 PM
Confused

My journey started when I first found out I had endometriosis after a tubial. At the time I didn't think anything of it - just that i had very painful, strong periods. I just figured everyone did. Well the Dr. put me on birth control to stop the symptoms - problem was - it stopped everything. I gained tons of weight and went through severe bouts of depression. When my prescription ran out I decided I wouldnt' refill it. I didn't think having the bad periods was that terrible. Over the next two years things were pretty sporadic. But tolerable. However, after reading your posts I realize now that what has been happening to my body over the past few years may be fromt he endometriosis. I have never been interested in sex - in fact if I'm not drunk - its not happening. My DH is very patient and if we meet together more than 6 times a year - that is good. Anyway - didn't think anything of that. Also, I've had bowel problems the past year that have literally woken me out of a sound sleep. My backside cramps so bad I am in tears most of the night. THought that was just hemroids from not eating right and being overweight. Then there is the sharp pains that travel down my legs during the month and the cramps that happen out of no-where for no reason. I have been treated for depression, and have figured that was just me. Now that I read all of this here - I think I know the answer. Last week during my cycle I was in bad shape - couldn't muster the energy to get to work and the pain was severe. I called the doctor and scheduled a pap that was 3 years behind schedule (I take care of everyone else, but not me). At this appointment I half -heartenedly suggested a hysterectomy and was totally blown away when the doctor agreed. I really wasn't expecting that - I am confused now and don't know why I feel the way I do. I am glad I found your site - I think I am piecing it all together now. Here is my fear. I am scheduled for an ultrasound next week - what happens if the doctor sees nothing on the films and thinks I'm nuts. How do I convince him that what I am feeling is real and not right. As I type this now I am one week past my last cycle. My lower back is still sore from the cramping and I have boughts of nausea that would make morning sickness feel calm. Is that enough to go ahead with a hysterectomy or am I being a hypocondriac? Has anyone else had these feelings? Sorry to ramble - any help or just listening is appreciated.

CB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2004, 09:17 AM
Confused

I went through about everything your going through. I optedfor the hyster cause I think and now after having agree it was the best choice. No woman should ever have to live through sever pain and that includes you. My ultra sounds came out pretty clear but when he got in there with a laprascopy it was bad. I had endo and adno, then after the evalutaion of my organs (after being taken out) I had fibroids also. Hun if you are daealing with this and you think a hyster is what you need I say go for it. As long as you can accept that there is a chance you may have to take HRT for the rest of your life and bear no more children (witch was no wuestion for me to get rid of the horrid pain) I say your doing what you feel you need to do to get better, that is the way I looked at it. I would suggest get a 2nd opnion and have a laprascopy done so they can go in and see what exactaly is going on in there. Endo can be a very painfull thing to have I know because I have delt with it for 6 years. If you want this then I see no reason why not to have it personally it was the best thing I have ever done. I delt with depression to and Now I feel so much better and am only 1 week post-op. the recovery is a bit slow and sometimes painfull but nothing near what I was going through before (basically feels like doing to many sit ups the night before) I wish you well in whatever you do and remember you have sisters here now and we always have a good ear ready for you.

Crystal
Unread 02-05-2004, 09:29 AM
Thanks

Thank you for letting me know - would it be bad of me to ask the doc for a lap prior to a hysterectomy? Do you think he would think I was just trying for more "attention" - not that it is the kind of attention anyone wants.

Good luck and god speed with your recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2004, 09:33 AM
Confused

No I think he should see it as being pretty responsable, you know checking to be sure is never a bad thing
Unread 02-05-2004, 10:16 AM
Confused

You need to have a lap to diagnose endometriosis- you cannot rely on ultrasound for this. You should not feel shy about asking- this is the standard protocol for diagnosing endo, although apparently it was diagnosed when they saw it during the tubal. if that's the case you needed bother with the lap. I would ask your doc's opinion.
Unread 02-05-2004, 10:47 AM
Confused

Hi: I would ask for a Lap. to be scheduled. I had a sono, external and internal about a month before surgery and another two days before surgery and neither one picked up the adenomyeosis, they did see that I had a thick endo lining. Also, in my case, the B.C. and provera pills I took for a two week period before the "flood" actually may have contributed to my problem. The hormones are not good for Endo. Maybe if you suggest this to your dr., about the Lap., you can find out for sure what the problem is. Good luck to you its a hard decision but I'm sure you'll do whats best.

Belle
Unread 02-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Confused

CB--
you may also have fibroids. the ultrasound will show that.
i wanted to add that i too suffered with awful bowel symptoms--IBS diarrhea, cramping, my life revolved around the toilet, one way or another.

since my TAH on 9/17/03, i have not have ONE IBS attack of the severity that they used to be. they have reduced almost 90%.
that is a miracle, to me. i had a gigantic fibroid that was squishing my intestines.

i hope you get all the information you need to make the right decision for your health.

this site is a goddess-send!

Fluffy Lemur

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register