Scared? Worried? Right Choice? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared?  Worried?  Right Choice? Scared? Worried? Right Choice?

Unread 08-17-2005, 09:17 PM
Scared? Worried? Right Choice?

Hello,
I'm scheduled to have a hysterectomy in October (keeping ovaries) it's a bit scary wondering if I am making the right choice. I had a uterine ablation about (4) years ago and it stopped my periods completely....life was great! Until this past October, I've started my regular periods once again....and it seems like every month since then has been getting worse....lots of pain! My choices are to have another ablation, hysterectomy or continue taking pain medication (which hasn't been helping anyway). I hear some many things about how it affects your sex life afterwards.....will things ever be the same after a hysterectomy...orgasms? Scared
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2005, 09:50 PM

If your biggest concern is your sex life, I can completely relate. I was scared to death that I wouldn't have the great sex life I shared with DH when I was finally able to actually have sex again.
But for me it isn't a problem so far. We've only had sex 3 times but each time has been great. The only real problem is the nervousness. I'm nervous that it'll hurt ~ he's nervous he'll hurt me. But honestly, it's been wonderful. Talk to your DR about your concerns. S/he will be able to tell you how many women (in his experience) have had a hyst affect their sex lives in a negative way. Good luck.
Unread 08-17-2005, 10:14 PM

Hi twins1988, and

This is an informative article, written based on a compilation of Hystersisters' comments over the years, that I think you might find helpful:

Is Sex Really The Same?

I would also like to encourage you to enroll in Checkpoints that you can access from the lavender tab at the top of the page, right below the logo. In my opinion, it's one of the best features on the site - designed to accompany you through the "hysterectomy experience" from start to finish, and beyond!

Many s and Best Wishes,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2005, 06:01 AM

Twins1988,

It sounds as if your ablation was successful. Why not a second one? How old are you? A second ablation might get you to menopause. You mentioned pain...was that a symtom when you had your ablation? Is a hysterectomy your only option?
I had heavy bleeding for several years but when painful cramps kicked in, (that meds didn't touch!) I couldn't take it anymore. I was hopeful that an ablation would help me get relief. I was advised against it due to the type of fibroids I had. After researching my surgery options I chose laproscopic supercervical hysterectomy(LSH). I am so pleased with my decision. Less than six weeks and I don't even feel as if I ever had surgery. Three small incisions and I kept both ovaries and my cervix. Two weeks post op I felt pretty good and by week three I felt back to normal. Sex has been great...if there is any difference it is that I don't have to worry about bleeding after and pain that sometimes occured.
I understand your concerns and there are stories that are very different from mine. Best of luck with your decision!
Unread 08-18-2005, 11:05 AM

Hi Twins1988,

If you decide on a hyst, and you are concerned about post-op sex, I can suggest you research keeping your cervix. In pre-op, my Dr. felt the cervix helps with future pelvic support and with sex. I am over one year post-op now and I can say that has been true for both with me.

Also maybe you are a candidate for a less invasive surgery such as a laparoscopic hyst as Mary (Mars6) was mentioning also?? Here is a Hyster Sisters link that goes over the different types of hysts:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...p?s=&id=152317

Best wishes. Don't worry. You will make the right choice for yourself.

Mary
Unread 08-18-2005, 11:57 AM

Hi

Gosh, I'm sorry your problems have returned after 4 years without them. I bet you thought all this was behind you.
My ablation was much easier for me to tolerate than any of my horrible periods were, so I would've jumped at the chance for a repeat procedure if it had been an option for me.
If your doctor feels you're a good candidate, it might really be worth it to try it again. You can always go for Plan B (the hyst) if it doesn't work. Some women are better candidates for repeat ablations than others depending on the cause of the pain and bleeding, their age, fibroids, adenomyosis, endometriosis, polyps, etc. Maybe a second opinion would be helpful.

Whatever you decide, we'll be here for you. Only you can know what feels right for *you*.
Good luck with your decision.
Best wishes & s,
Beth
Unread 08-23-2005, 08:22 PM

Thanks for your reply......I'm feeling a lot better after reading alot of the posting on this site.....it feels good to know I'm not alone

Thanks again!
Unread 08-24-2005, 12:14 AM

I would avoid the hyst as my sex life has not been the same nor has my libido. If I had my time over again I would not have had it done, it is definitely a huge life changing experience.

Have you thought about discussing with your doctor the possibility of the Mirena Intra-uterine coil. This lasts 5 years and releases progestin into the uterus so you don't have to take any tablets etc. I know women who have had tremendous success with this for fibroids and heavy periods. You may have a little spotting when first implanted but definitely worth a try.
Unread 08-24-2005, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars6
It sounds as if your ablation was successful. Why not a second one?
I agree with Mary... investigate a repeat on the ablation... Ultimately only YOU must live with your post-op results, good OR bad.

Here is a link to a message board and info on ablation: http://pub76.ezboard.com/bendometrialablationboard

I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 08-24-2005, 09:20 AM

Hello! There was a post made by someone (can't-for the life of me-remember who ) that gave a link to a website that was very informative and helps answer a lot of questions in a practical way. I won't say I feel all the information is exactly right, but it sure puts some things in the right perspective. I think it would help you, so I've copied and pasted the internet address here: http://www.ohanlan.com/total_laparo.htm

I found the site very informative. I hope it helps you too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register