Laparoscopic Supra Cervical Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laparoscopic Supra Cervical Hysterectomy Laparoscopic Supra Cervical Hysterectomy

Unread 08-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Laparoscopic Supra Cervical Hysterectomy

I am having a laparoscopic Supra Cervical Hysterectomy on Tuesay. Has anyone had this procedure? My dr. says it is a new procedure. I am nervous because I do not know of anyone that has had this done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2006, 08:00 PM

There are quite a few members here at Hyster Sisters who have had the procedure. If you do a search for "LSH" you'll find threads on the procedure.... also, if you scan through these pre-op pages, you'll find some threads.

Hope this helps!
Unread 08-13-2006, 08:30 PM

I am having the same procedure on August 29. So I would be interested to hear what you have to say about it afterward when you feel up to it. My doc said that he does this surgery now more than any other. It is fairly new though. My doctor said that keeping the cervix may help support everything else on down the road. Good luck on the 15th and let me know how you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2006, 08:45 PM

I had LSH on 6/30/06 and I am doing great! I haven't had any problems and I feel good. I took 2 weeks off of work but felt better much sooner. Only had pain for one or two days. After that no medication for pain at all. Was moving around house next day and walking around neighboorhood after a few days. My incisions never hurt but my belly was sore for a few days. Since the surgery I have been blood free and pain free. I am happy I have a doc who knows how to do this type of surgery!

I send you love and best wishes.
Unread 08-13-2006, 09:51 PM

Hi Caryleigh,

I also had a LSH and I am still very pleased with my surgery results. I am so glad I was a candidate for the surgery. It gave me my ~quality of life~.

The LSH is a newer hyst type and the reason the surgery is not done as much is because it requires additional medical training. Also, there can be the added expense of LSH medical equipment for the surgery room.

Here are two LSH links for your research:

http://www.laparoscopicsupracervicalhysterectomy.com/
http://www.goodgyn.com/lsh.html

Best wishes. We Hyster Sisters are here to help if we can.

Mary
Unread 08-13-2006, 11:34 PM

I haven't had mine yet but, baring a need for conversion, this will be my surgery.

Everything I have heard and read encourages me that this is a good route to go and that while the recovery is a little less intense, we still should view it as needing 6 weeks, because many do, and be pleasantly surprised if we don't. I also think without that abdominal incision we have to be more self-aware to not overdo it.

Best wishes,

Julie
Unread 08-14-2006, 03:32 PM
Me Too!

I am also having LSH on Tuesday (tomorrow). Right now I am doing the bowel prep....not fun! I have been carrying the laptop back and forth to the bathroom with me. Sorry I can't give you any advice yet....we'll have to talk after were on the other side. I have spoken to a woman who had the surgery about a year ago. She said that she felt normal after a week. I am not in as good of shape physically as she is. I am a little overweight and have been working since March to build my blood up to avoid tranfusions. My doctor filled my FMLA forms out and indicated a return date of September 26th. She told me she might release me in 4 weeks, but I needed to remember that even though I look fine on the outside - I will still be healing on the inside.

Good Luck tomorrow! Talk to you later in the week!

Stacey
Unread 08-14-2006, 04:21 PM

I had LSH surgery on 7-10 and I am 5wks post op today and I feel great. My surgery was on a Monday and on Thursday I left the house for about an hour. I was a little slow moving and a little sore, but generally felt fine. I didn't need any prescription medicine once I left the castle and I only needed motrin for general aches and ocassional headaches for about 2wks. I too am glad that I was a candidate for this type of surgery. Hope all goes well for all of the princesses in waiting.
Unread 08-14-2006, 05:34 PM

Thank you all who have been so supportive! I will let everyone know how I am doing. I will be preparing for the bowel prep soon.! Thank you to all.
Unread 08-14-2006, 06:39 PM

I had an LSH 6.5 weeks ago.

Phase 1 of my recovery lasted about 9 days: painkillers, iceing the belly, very swelly belly, very tired and sleeping a lot during the day, walks of .2 miles.

Phase 2: no vicaden during the day, and started walking farther (started with 3 miles, then moved up to 5-6 miles), could bike at 2.5 weeks, but decided walking was better for recovery. By 3.5 weeks could lay on my side without pain. Had to rest after everything I did.

Phase 3: Started at 4 weeks. Energy levels went to about 75%. Went on vacation at 4 weeks for 10 days, went back to work at 6 weeks. Wasn't ready for work on my 3 week appt, hard to go back while on vacation. Went in the ocean, ran 3-4 miles one day, exercised about every day. I am biking my usual distance, but several MPH slower - feel out of shape in a way I never did before. I biked 25 miles on Saturday and 43 on Sunday. My belly is still swelly, more some days than others. I am sure it is just due to recovering yet. Working and wearing my jeans (which are now tight) does not help. Looking for looser clothes, but I am a sucky shopper!

Good luck on your surgery! Everyone's recovery is different.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register