Bladder problem | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder problem Bladder problem

Unread 03-02-2002, 09:06 AM
Bladder problem

Hi Ladies,
I know I have written before, but like to peruse the posts and see how everyone is dealing with their particular problem.
I am 68 years old, a mom of 3 and a grandma of 9. I had been having problems with prolapsed uterus, cystocele and rectocele for the past 2 1/2 years. Since the gyne I was going to didn't seem to want to do surgery, I decided to find another doctor and get a second opinion. To try and make a long story short, I finally found a terrific gyne who assessed my problem. Since I had several different things going on, it was decided I would have the gyne do the complete hysty, a urologist to suspend the bladder, and a colo-rectal dr. for the rectocele and enterocele. I was told later they had to raise the lining and wall of my vagina some 8"!! No wonder I was frustrated about things "hanging out" and feeling very uncomfortable. It was a long surgery but came through quite well (for an old lady) and it is now 5 weeks since surgery. My scar is healing well, I don't feel anything "falling out" and, in general, feeling quite well. My DH is still washing the floors and vacuuming, but I am now doing light housework and cooking. I am also driving which is a plus because we are retired and we want to keep this marriage of almost 50 years going!!!!
I still get tired easily but that is to be expected. The gyne said it would take at least 6 months or more before I am back to normal.
My biggest problem is my bladder. The urologist said it takes at least 8-10 weeks before they can see how things are working. In the meantime I have stock in the Poise Pad company. I don't have a lot of control over my bladder and if I am sitting for a while as soon as I stand up the bladder starts working and I can't stop it. In April they will do more testing to see how things are working, and hopefully, it will all be fine; but if not then they need to go up through the vagina this time and do some more tacking. I sure hope that doesn't happen even if it is just a day surgery. I was in the hospital for 5 days for the TAH and BSO and that was enough for me. In the meantime, (as the doctors keep telling me)
I need to be patient. Since I'm an active person ordinarily, it is kind of hard for me to "take it easy", but I know I need to follow orders or I will take 2 steps back instead of 3 steps forward. You are all great and I love hearing from you and reading your stories.
Thanks for your "being there" and GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU!!!

Ardene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2002, 10:47 AM
Bladder problem

Hi, Ardene! You've been through a lot! Glad you came through surgery fine and that you're feeling better. You're an inspiration to us at your age! Now if only your bladder would cooperate! It must be frustrating to not have control, and to have to wait 10 weeks to see if it is fixed. It sounds like you have a great husband who's helping you be a pampered princess. Continue to take it easy, and we'll keep our fingers crossed that your bladder will correct itself without further surgery. Hugs and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 03-02-2002, 03:01 PM
Hi Ardene!

Boy you had a lot repaired and you are doing so well it is a shame that your bladder will take so long to see if it will work or not. Sounds like you are in great hands with the DH. Pampering is something you can never get enough of, but still be active just don't overdo I think your body will let you know and we can't have that when you are doing so well. God bless and keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2002, 03:13 PM
Bladder problem

You are an inspiration. So sorry about all the problems with the bladder. I said a prayer that you will be well and over all the bladder problems soon. Keep in touch and let us know how it turns out You husband sounds like a gem, and congratulations on such a long marriage

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register