Lupron to shrink fibroids before hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lupron to shrink fibroids before hysterectomy? Lupron to shrink fibroids before hysterectomy?

Unread 04-20-2004, 03:16 PM
Lupron to shrink fibroids before hysterectomy?

I was told by my GYN nurse that I have a fibroid the size of a 14 week fetus, and the GYN will have to do an Abdominal hysterectomy rather than the vaginal that he promised to do (due to the size). I read on the internet that some GYNs use Lupron to shrink fibroids before surgery.

Have any of you had this option and has it worked? I've asked the nurse to check with the GYN to see if this is an option with me. I'd rather have a vaginal surgery than an abdominal for obvious reasons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2004, 04:30 PM

Here's a similar post that I responded to just the other day. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=139012 Although it is short, I think you can see that Lupron works differently for everyone. No guarantees.

Here's a link to a search for the past 30 days. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sea...der=descending (hopefully it worked)!

Good luck with your research. Explore all your options.

BSQ
Unread 04-21-2004, 02:46 AM

I understand your concern. I've had a shot of Zoladex LA. Same class of drug as Luperon but one shot lasts for 3 months. I decided to go with this option because my guy told me he would have to cut me from just below my breastbone to my delicate as it were. I'm hoping to shrink the fibroids enough to have a TAH rather than a verticle abdominal hyst. A vag procedure would be a dream come true but due to the fact that my fibroids are multiple and overgrown -- 24 week size I will happily settle for the TAH with BSO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2004, 08:09 PM
To: Hydranga

I am 46 and I was diagnosed last fall with two LARGE fibroids (8.5,6.5 ). My Dr. wanted to do a TAH. That was my only option. Plus, she said there would be bladder problems.

I had never had surgery before in my life and I was scared to death!!!! My Dr. had the bedside manner of Dr. Death at that point.

Needless to say, I left that Dr. and got a second opinion and a new Dr. A friend of my husband's had gone on about her Dr. She had had a TAH with bladder "hardware" work and no bladder problems after. She would have done it again in a second!!

That worked for me!! I made an appoint. and I found out that even with large fibroids, I was a 70% chance candidate for a laparascopy surgery after estrogen blocking shots to decrease the fibroids. I had a 4-month size uterus.

Well.......I had a LSH ( Laparascopic SupraCervical Hysterectomy) on April 22.

It is similar to a LAVH except all work is done through your belly button and two small insisions. I had my uterus and fibroids taken out of the stomach incisions. I kept my cervix for ligament support and it put no stress on my vagina. It also precludes bladder problems. I had a sturdy cervix so I was a candidate.

Most important. I had a good Dr. Find someone who has done it a lot, whether it is a LAVH or LSH. They are never procedures so make sure it isn't your Dr.'s first rodeo!!

I set up a chat board on the LSH (The Winner is ) on the post-op board. Check it out if you want.

Good luck!!!!!!
Unread 04-30-2004, 06:28 AM

I had three Lupron injections (one each month) prior to my surgery. It did shrink the tumor sizeably! I still had surgery abdominally because I had previously had a c-section. I'm two weeks post op and have had no problems whatsoever. I'm walking around the block (slowly) up and down the stairs (slowly) and doing all normal activities. I haven't pushed myself to vacuum, clean, garden, etc.

Lupron has many side effects that are not fun but it gives you a chance to see how your body will react once you go through menopause. I also kept by ovaries.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register