excercise bike at 10 weeks ok? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

excercise bike at 10 weeks ok? excercise bike at 10 weeks ok?

Unread 07-04-2006, 09:12 AM
excercise bike at 10 weeks ok?

I started back to the gym at 9 weeks post-op. I was still sore (feels like a bruise if you push on lower abdomen) and swelling was alot better just some at night. Now that I have been back to work for 3 weeks (very demanding job at a summer daycamp) and I am starting my 2nd week excercising (only on recumbent bike, low level for 30 minutes) I am more swollen then I was 2 weeks ago. I called my Dr. yesterday to just confirm that it was ok to continue excercising but he hasn't called me back yet. It doesn't hurt when I excercise but I am staying swollen longer. I used to wake up in the morning and the swelling was almost gone. The past week I wake up and I am more swelly. I am not in any horrible pain just that bruise feeling. Is anyone else having these issues? I just don't want to permanently damage anything. Shouldn't everything be healed by now? Any advise would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2006, 09:23 AM

i'm 3 weeks behind you but released for exercises and pretty active. you seem to be describing my issues at the moment. when i first started back swimming 2 weeks ago, the swelly belly would get worse at night but resolve by the morning. the last few days i have noticed it doesn't do that and i, too, have become concerned. i see my doc in 2 days so i figured i could wait till then.

i believe that at this point we are about 40% healed but shouldn't really be able to do any surgical damage... just really unclear if it is muscular or what.

i tried to attempt to do a little free weight work, but rapidly discovered that i'm not ready for that yet! *grin* so i've stuck to walking (3 miles every other day) and swimming on the days i'm not walking.

i join in your quest...anyone with answers? suggestions?
Unread 07-04-2006, 11:00 AM

Wow, I am glad to hear that I am not alone. I wonder what swells up? Is it fluid that is still trapped in our abdomen? Is it irritated organs? I sure can't wait til it goes away! It will go away one day right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2006, 03:20 PM

At 6 weeks I was given the all clear to "normal activities." I specifically asked when can I join a gym? He said, I could join today, just don't expect to do 50 sit ups. I'm soooooo surprised for the first time he did not tell me to "Listen to Your Body!" But maybe since he's told me that 10,000 times, he figured by now I've learned that!

As for the Swelly Belly, I went back to work 1/2 days at 6 weeks. Both DH and I have noticed that my belly is MORE swollen since I've increased my activity with the return to work. I've noticed too, it really does not seem to go down in the mornings, rather stays fairly much the same size now.

I'm soooooo tired of the Swelly Belly. I'm wondering just what it might weigh? I've only lost 5 pounds post op, but was sure hoping since I've changed my eating habits 100% it would be more. For my 22nd anniversary, I asked DH for a personal trainer. He agreed! I think he's afraid the Swelly Belly could become a permanent fixure on my figure! LOL

I think all is normal, since the 3 of us all have the same symptoms.
Unread 07-04-2006, 03:45 PM

Add me to your list---I am at 10 weeksand have started verrrry gently swimming a few laps in the morning. And guess what---the swelly belly that would be pretty much lat in the morning,but would swell up at night, well, it is now pretty much always there. After I swim I feel heaviness nad soreness, not really pain exactly. And throughout the day I recall that I need to be holding it in and watching posture, and there is that heaviness again. What are we to do about this? Should we STOP exercising??? That can't be good...OK, maybe I'll try an experiment for us all--I'll quit exercising except for walking, and see if it gets better. One week. OK?
And I thought we were all through with this. Grrrrumble.
Anne
Unread 07-04-2006, 07:01 PM

I have the exact same thing. I started to do some light exercise and it swelled right up! I also went for a boat ride at 10 weeks and OOOCH! Now I am not exercising at all and I am not sore or swollen. My doctor said it was the tissues inside reacting to being used again. My chiropractor said that my lower back muscles have to compensate for the front muccles being cut. I say exersise will have to wait because I don't want to be sore and swollen. I am almost 13 weeks out now!
Unread 07-04-2006, 07:16 PM

Add me to the list. I'm 8 weeks post-op, just went back to the gym although I've been walking 30-45 minutes daily. I did 10 minutes on the bike and felt sore. I used 3 lb arm weights (o.k.'d by doctor) and that felt o.k. But when I do more, my body does react. My belly gets big, feels kind of hard. I don't like it, but I don't think it means anything's wrong. I know that if I do a lot and feel wiped out the next day, then I have to cut back. Overdoing it leaves me so wiped out, it just sets me back.

I, too, have a call in to the doctor but haven't heard back. I did have a nurse tell me that if I start to hurt, it means I need to ease up. Good luck to all with the Swelly Bellies!
Unread 07-04-2006, 11:11 PM

I am so glad to hear that I am not alone. Thanks ladies for sharing your experiences with me. This site has been such a comfort to me.

Happy Healing
Unread 07-05-2006, 08:19 PM

Well, I called the Dr. back today and spoke with the nurse. I told her I was staying swollen most of the time since I went back to excercising. I asked her if it was okk to continue excercising. I explained I was 10 weeks post-op and I was not in any way in excrutiating pain, just more uncomfortable and swelly. She put me on hold and went to speak to Dr. Dr. said to stop excercising and come in for an appointment to be re-evaluated. I have an appointment next Wednesday, July 12th. In a way I am glad because at the 6 week check up I didn't feel at all healed yet and was concerned that I was just left to fend for myself from that point on without any upcoming rechecks. I will ask him where the swelling comes from so I can let you all know!
Unread 07-05-2006, 09:35 PM

I started walking again two days ago. I'm trying to get back into shape. I'm 5 wks post op. If my dr releases me I have to go back to carrying a 35lb mail bag and lifting up to 70lbs, walking 4 hrs and driving for 2. So my dh and I thought I should get back out there and walk. NO weight but I've walked 1.3 miles in 25 min. I did it this morning and was going to do it again tonight but I was too tired.
I'm not sure If I've gained weight or if it's swelly belly. I've been wairing the big comfy clothes and put on a pair of jean short today. Holy,moly!!!! My tummy is BIG. I noticed when I take a shower but you can really tell when you have clothes on. YUCK!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register