total hysterectomy symptoms | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

total hysterectomy symptoms total hysterectomy symptoms

Unread 05-05-2013, 05:10 PM
total hysterectomy symptoms

Hello! I have had my hysterectomy on April 12, 2013. This has been the biggest thing I ve had done ever. You don t know how much you use your stomach muscles until you can t bend, stoop, or lift anything heavy for 6 wks. I have went thru crying spells and outbursts of anger some. More crying than anger! I have hot flashes, exhaustion, irritability, insomnia, depression, night sweats, and these "wonderful" phantom pains. I ve went for my first check up on May 1 to my dr. He said phantom pains are normal. Before my surgery I had a bad anxiety attack that lasted for hours and went to the dr and i got put on zoloft and anxiety meds. I used to b on them for about a year around 8 years ago. I had taken myself off but needed them back. I got them upped in milligrams when i went to dr on may 1. It does help alot. I have noticed i m improving but the dr says exhaustion is the last thing to leave you. I have read up on menopause and you do get exhaustion and insomia with it so makes me wonder about it for the future. I m hoping that i can help some women by writing this or someone may be able to help me. He says the phantom pains will diminish away but i wonder because my aunt had her leg amputated back in sept of 2012 and still has phantom pains. I had a hysterectomy due to painful endometrosis. It impaired me to work and I couldn t work a full 40 hrs a wk the last few months and I caught evreything in he air as far as sickness was concerned. It s a journey for sure but hope things will get better with time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2013, 08:51 PM
total hysterectomy symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzalia View Post
Hello! I have had my hysterectomy on April 12, 2013. This has been the biggest thing I ve had done ever. You don t know how much you use your stomach muscles until you can t bend, stoop, or lift anything heavy for 6 wks. I have went thru crying spells and outbursts of anger some. More crying than anger! I have hot flashes, exhaustion, irritability, insomnia, depression, night sweats, and these "wonderful" phantom pains. I ve went for my first check up on May 1 to my dr. He said phantom pains are normal. Before my surgery I had a bad anxiety attack that lasted for hours and went to the dr and i got put on zoloft and anxiety meds. I used to b on them for about a year around 8 years ago. I had taken myself off but needed them back. I got them upped in milligrams when i went to dr on may 1. It does help alot. I have noticed i m improving but the dr says exhaustion is the last thing to leave you. I have read up on menopause and you do get exhaustion and insomia with it so makes me wonder about it for the future. I m hoping that i can help some women by writing this or someone may be able to help me. He says the phantom pains will diminish away but i wonder because my aunt had her leg amputated back in sept of 2012 and still has phantom pains. I had a hysterectomy due to painful endometrosis. It impaired me to work and I couldn t work a full 40 hrs a wk the last few months and I caught evreything in he air as far as sickness was concerned. It s a journey for sure but hope things will get better with time.
I also had my hysterectomy due to severe endometriosis. I had my surgery exactly 1 month before you. I can tell you it's going to be a journey. Did you have your ovaries removed? If so, you may need some hormone replacement. I was good without any for about 4 weeks but then had to have something due to the night sweats and emotions. It's good that you're already on an anti-depressant. As far as phantom pains...I did have some minor pains but they have gotten better over the past couple of weeks. All of your other organs are still adjusting to their new place in your body so I've been told. Hang in there! It will get better...There will be ups and downs but we've got this wonderful site to help us all! :-)
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Re: total hysterectomy symptoms

You and I had surgery the same day and I have had generalized anxiety for a few years now. I take clonopin for the anxiety which helps a lot but medical stuff always makes mine act up. Did they take your ovaries? Also what type of procedure did you have? I have both ovaries but have still experienced hot flashes, night sweats, moodiness, and some depression. I am also experiencing the weird pains in my abdomin almost like a zinging feeling. I hope you are feeling better, this site is an excellent support system. Sending you healing thoughts♡
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelenaH View Post
I also had my hysterectomy due to severe endometriosis. I had my surgery exactly 1 month before you. I can tell you it's going to be a journey. Did you have your ovaries removed? If so, you may need some hormone replacement. I was good without any for about 4 weeks but then had to have something due to the night sweats and emotions. It's good that you're already on an anti-depressant. As far as phantom pains...I did have some minor pains but they have gotten better over the past couple of weeks. All of your other organs are still adjusting to their new place in your body so I've been told. Hang in there! It will get better...There will be ups and downs but we've got this wonderful site to help us all! :-)
mazzalia Yes my ovaries wer removed also. My dr wants to make sure that all the endometrosis is gone befor ehe puts me on hormone pills and he s talking about putting me on birth control pills for that. I am still experiencing phantom pains and this fri will b 6 wks. I had to up my antidepressant meds and anxiety. Unfortunately i just found out that bi polar and anxiety run in my family more than what i thought. I knew about the anxiety and ocd. I got both of those. I have good days and bad. My job consists of alot of walking and riding in my car. I m a gas leak surveyor and work 10 hrs a day 4 days a week and I m don t think i ll b ready for work by Jun 3. I can only walk 30 min at a time with a break in between. I feel as though i should b doing better than that. I had a laproscopic surgery with vaginal surgery. My depression was ok for a little bit but now any little thing can get me in another depression or it just happens and it s at night now. My anxiety has increased and hot flashes night sweats. i ve had 2 migraines in this last wk where i could not function. Exhaustion still here some days i do fine with it til around 2 or 3 if i can wake up at a decent time. If i sleep too much i m horrible all day. Like 2day i was like that and didn t get any energy til late this evening. I feel so out of whack. My sister died in dec and that s what really pushed me for this hysterectomy. Then my other best friend who lived right beside me had to live with me for a few mnths with her family then they got their place in late jan to early feb. Alot of times i feel alone.
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:13 PM

Hi mazzalia,
I had my meds adjusted right before my hysterectomy. I'm on effexor and ziprasidone along with low dose clonazepam for my anxiety and depression. Luckily, my doctor agreed to put me on estrogen right after my surgery. Hopefully you will feel better once your hormones get sorted. I'm sorry to hear about losing your sister. Can you get more time off work if you need it? (((((((((( hugs ))))))))))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register