Hopeful but nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hopeful but nervous Hopeful but nervous

Unread 06-25-2013, 02:25 PM
Hopeful but nervous

I am scheduled for a hysterectomy on 23 July and have to have my ovaries removed as well. I won't get HRT,due to my (past) breast cancer. I am not so afraid of the pain,but more of the effects it has on my libido.
I am 47 and already have lost most of my desire to be intimate with my husband.
Will a doctor prescribe hormone therapy,if I am willing to take the risk? ( I did lots of research,and the risk is well worth taking)

Thank y'all,
Syl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Re: Hopeful but nervous

I am not quite understanding you. First you said you weren't going to do HRT and then you asked if a doc would prescribe HRT therapy for you since the risk was worth taking. I had a TAH almost 3 weeks ago and I am 51 so I just went on an estrogen patch. I change it 2x a week. I realize it has only been 3 weeks but I feel very stable. I haven't been able to get busy with my husband but I think those feelings will return once the 6 week restriction is lifted. No more pain, bleeding, random periods.... He's looking forward to it!
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:46 PM

Hi Sylpetty -

Discuss the risks of HRT with your doctor. My understanding is that if you have had breast cancer HRT is not an option. However, there may be some herbal alternatives - your doctor may know something.

Everyone is different regarding libido after surgery - sometimes it increases and sometimes it decreases. You just never know how your body is going to react.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2013, 11:56 PM

Mrge,
I am on Tamoxifen,which blocks my hormones and already has caused me to lose desire. My doctor said,after the hysterectomy and removal of my ovaries,she will be able to start me on aromatase inhibitors,which would be easier to to,estate and have a lesser effect.
She also said that due to my hystery of breast cancer ( hormone positive) , I can not be put on HRT.
I started looking into the research and it suggested that my risk of a returning cancer while taking hormones , would only increase by 2-5 %.
That's why I feel it is a risk worth taking.
I hope I clarified ,what I tried to say in my post.
Thanks for your reply and thanks mares tail . I will ask about herbal treatment
Syl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register