FREAKING OUT! Scheduled for hysterectomy soon! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

FREAKING OUT! Scheduled for hysterectomy soon! FREAKING OUT! Scheduled for hysterectomy soon!

Unread 03-06-2014, 01:30 PM
FREAKING OUT! Scheduled for hysterectomy soon!

I have so much going through my mind right now! I am having my davinci robotics hysterectomy on 3/19. It's like the 2 wk mark came and now I am scared to death. The pain I am in is terrrible, but even knowing that that pain will be gone, isn't making me want to do this any more!
I had a csection for one of my children...but I have never been put completely out for surgery before! My fears include, not waking up, something going terribly wrong, stroking out due to having some high BP issues, not being here to see my children grow up....and so on and so on! I could go on forever! Can you tell my anxiety is getting the best of me?!?!?!
I don't know how to calm my nerves and am looking for support. Has anyone had the DaVinci? How long did surgery take? (As of now they are trying to leave my ovaries but I have an endometrioma on each and they aren't sure how involved they are). How was your recovery? Any help is very much appreciated! WHat should I expect when coming out of anastesia? I don't think I will even care, as long as I am through surgery and awake! LOL!
I am not nervous at all about pain after, or recovery.... I figure it won't be any worse then the csection.
Right now I feel like I am completely nuts because of the fears I am having! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2014, 03:05 PM
Re: FREAKING OUT! Scheduled for 3/19

This is totally normal. It is a big deal and very frightening.

I didn't have DaVinci and can't answer those questions, but I can tell you about coming out of anesthesia. It's different for everyone. Some people just pop awake, some people sort of spiral back into consciousness, and there are the occasional few who come out of it with hilarious stories (I distinctly remember one woman talking about how convinced she was that she was going to the beach and arguing with her nurses and husband over it.).

Generally, you're groggy but fine. You'll wake up in a room with machines beeping, a warm blanket will be on you, a nurse will probably be right there and will be talking to you and asking about your pain level and how you feel. You might be a little confused because your sense of time is going to be off but that passes. You might feel a little nausea, it's hard to predict who will and who won't. If you're concerned talk to your anesthesiologist about it in pre-op so they can address it beforehand.

If your anxiety is really getting to you please call your doctor. Most will prescribe a mild anti-anxiety medication to get you through to your big day. Anxiety is not conducive to healing so the doctors really don't want you to be miserable.

I hope that helps answer some of your questions.
Unread 03-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Re: FREAKING OUT! Scheduled for hysterectomy soon!

Hugs! We go in the same day and my Dr. is going to try to get the robot for me (its seriously who gets to the room with it first). I've had a lot of the same anxiety with my children but the way I've started to look at it is now they are loosing me at least 4 Days a month, and having to watch their mother lay there and cry in agony...not to mention be a moody little snot. In the end this will be better for them.

I went under for my lap years ago and she's right everyone is different. I'm one of those that have a hard time coming out of it and keep drifting back off to sleep. Think it took me a good 5 hours to really wake up after the lap...so the hubs has been warned to bring a good book.

Do talk to your Dr. if you feel the anxiety is out of control. But most importantly know that you are not alone and there are a whole bunch of women here with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2014, 04:17 PM

It's normal to be scared. Heck, I was. I am 55 and the last time I was under anesthesia was in 1983. I was concerned about my heart. . . Had last minute appointments and scans done at the cardiologist, including a heart stress test. Once that was over I was medically cleared for my hysterectomy.

Think of the positives ahead of you. You won't be in any more pain. Sure you'll have a recovery period but that is such a short time compared to your life ahead. I had 3 surgery date cancellations and with each one, I was more positive about going. The delays also gave me more time to prepare and I was less nervous.

The admitting nurse at the hospital will answer your questions. Tell her your concerns. You will also have time to talk to your doctor and anesthesiologist. They ask about allergies, any physical concerns they need to know. I told them of my heart and thankfully I was told it handled anesthesia and did fine.

Good luck and I hope things go well for you. The unknown is always scary.
Unread 03-06-2014, 04:33 PM

I had the DaVinci on Feb. 6 My surgery was just what the dr. said. Mine was 3 1/2 hours but I had a rectocele repair and tvt done also. I had bad experiences with anesthetic getting very sick 20 years ago. I was petrified. Before I went it the Anesthesiologist came in and we talked it all out and I had the most perfect experience. Things are so much better these days. I did so well that I didn't even get sick at all. I felt great. I am 4 weeks post op and since my first day home I have only had Tylenol except for the fist day I alternated Motrin. I mostly used ice packs on my belly. Please don't worry. Honestly the anxiety before was WAY worse then the actual surgery.
Unread 03-06-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGo0403 View Post
I have so much going through my mind right now! I am having my davinci robotics hysterectomy on 3/19. It's like the 2 wk mark came and now I am scared to death. The pain I am in is terrrible, but even knowing that that pain will be gone, isn't making me want to do this any more!
I had a csection for one of my children...but I have never been put completely out for surgery before! My fears include, not waking up, something going terribly wrong, stroking out due to having some high BP issues, not being here to see my children grow up....and so on and so on! I could go on forever! Can you tell my anxiety is getting the best of me?!?!?!
I don't know how to calm my nerves and am looking for support. Has anyone had the DaVinci? How long did surgery take? (As of now they are trying to leave my ovaries but I have an endometrioma on each and they aren't sure how involved they are). How was your recovery? Any help is very much appreciated! WHat should I expect when coming out of anastesia? I don't think I will even care, as long as I am through surgery and awake! LOL!
I am not nervous at all about pain after, or recovery.... I figure it won't be any worse then the csection.
Right now I feel like I am completely nuts because of the fears I am having! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had Davinci. I was home same day. Requirements for me to go home and not spend the night were: had to urinate a certain amount, walk around, eat something and keep it down. Was on a pain pump for a short time and never used it. Surgery will probably take about an hour and a half - talk to your doctor - I understand your fears - I am also a high anxiety person. Call your doctor and ask for some tranquilizers or anti-anxiety meds - definitely ask for a calming "cocktail" what they refer to it in the medical world prior to surgery. You may have a urinary catheter in temporarily when you wake up for surgery like I did. They will remove that an hour or so after surgery. They should have pain meds on board as well for after surgery and going home. I chose to discontinue them after about 2 days since they made me goofy. Everyone is different. If you have any other questions - feel free to contact me! Trust me, you'll be fine! Don't let the anxiety get to you!! And do what your doctor tells you to do!! Will be thinking of you! I know how you feel!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register