Dealing with other chronic issues before and after hysterectomy (arthritis in knees and hands, asthma and fibromyalgia) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dealing with other chronic issues before and after hysterectomy (arthritis in knees and hands, asthma and fibromyalgia) Dealing with other chronic issues before and after hysterectomy (arthritis in knees and hands, asthma and fibromyalgia)

Unread 01-25-2017, 03:52 PM
Dealing with other chronic issues before and after hysterectomy (arthritis in knees and hands, asthma and fibromyalgia)

Hi, my hysterectomy is scheduled for March 9th. In addition to issues that prompted the need for the hysterectomy, I also have arthritis in my knees and hands, asthma and fibromyalgia. I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on things that can be done before and after the surgery to reduce the risk of these other conditions flaring up during recovery. I know that walking with help with recovery anyways and will probably help control the arthritis and fibromyalgia. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2017, 08:36 PM
Re: Dealing with other chronic issues before and after surgery

Hi minimack1549 -

I wish I could answer your questions, but I cannot. We do have lots of ladies on this site, so hopefully one with experience will see this post and respond.

In the meantime, here is an article that may help:
Fibromyalgia and Hysterectomy

Unread 01-25-2017, 10:44 PM
Re: Dealing with other chronic issues before and after surgery (arthritis in my knees and hands, asthma and fibromyalgia

Hello minimack1549,
I will be three weeks post op tomorrow. I have asthma, arthritis, an autoimmune connective tissue disorder, diabetes and chronic kidney disease.

I was having a very difficult time walking as I was going through the preparations for surgery and started working with a physical therapist that deals with women's sports and joint issues. I told her about my prolapse and planned surgery and asked her to include some aerobic exercise. I did therapy for my hip and abdominal core as well as a couple exercise bike type exercises to improve my lungs, which I knew would be important for recovery. I had a home exercise program that I did twice a day. Within two weeks, my long standing hip pain was greatly improved.

The exercises for your core and pelvis can be found online. I also did stretches to prepare for being in stirrups. As an old L&D nurse, I knew the risks of not being prepared.

As I am recuperating, I am very glad I spent the time preparing physically for surgery. I was in surgery for six hours and recovery for two. I have had no muscle aches or joint pains beyond my normal, not even much incisional pain. Most of my pain was bladder spasms from my extensive repairs lasting for about the first four days post op. I do have abdominal twinges when I reach or twist, but I have been careful to move slowly so I don't over do it.
I did have a brief spell of pleurisy at two weeks. I just used my inspiration spirometer again til it resolved. I also had an infection in my umbilical incision requiring antibiotics that I had adverse reactions to, so am just now starting to increase my activity slowly.

I had much anxiety about all the preparations for surgery and anticipating a "flare". So far no evidence of a "flare" in spite of the bumps along the way.
I feel good, all things considered.

I did the house cleaning, carpets, chandeliers, floors, draperies etc. with a big grocery and Costco run and cooked freezer meals.

Three weeks into recovery the kitchen floor is not the cleanest and I think my new frying pan has been ruined by my family, but I was anticipating that I would need a new one by the time I had the energy to clean it anyway.

There are many good articles on how to prep your space, how to be prepared for your pre-op visits with anesthesia and your surgeon. Make sure they are aware of your concerns and medical conditions.
I found myself greatly relieved and at peace after my pre-op visits to know that they were willing to work with my various allergies and medical needs.

You can do this. You still have time to do some of the exercises and stretches and time to prep your home.
The HysterSister community has been a wonderful support.
Hugs and prayers as you move forward with your preparations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2017, 06:42 AM
Dealing with other chronic issues before and after hysterectomy (arthritis in knees and hands, asthma and fibromyalgia)

For your knee arthritis, I would recommend strength training exercises, focusing on your leg muscles; you can consult with a personal trainer, or find recommendations online. Many women, myself included, have knee issues, because of weakness in the inner thighs and hamstrings - the back of your thighs - and properly chosen exercises can help to correct this. For your asthma, one thing I would recommend is avoiding wheat and dairy products; my asthmatic father seems to have a flare-up, with excess mucus production, every time he eats one of those. To strengthen your core, Pilates comes highly recommended; you can join a class at your local Y or community centre, borrow a DVD from your local library, or find videos online. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 01-26-2017, 10:26 AM
Re: Dealing with other chronic issues before and after hysterectomy (arthritis in knees and hands, asthma and fibromyalg

Thanks for the great replies and information! The information that I'm getting on this site has been extremely helpful!!
Unread 01-26-2017, 02:11 PM
Re: Dealing with other chronic issues before and after hysterectomy (arthritis in knees and hands, asthma and fibromyalg

I can only speak to the asthma. Make sure that is well controlled before surgery because it's common for it to flare post op. Mine was under great control when I had surgery, and a couple of days post op it flared, and uncontrollable coughing was not the best. I had some steroids at home, and took them for a few days until it settled down. I would recommend asking whoever treats your asthma for some steroids pre surgery. I could t drive yet and really needed them right away. It was great to have some handy!
Unread 01-26-2017, 08:53 PM

I am 22 day post op. I have fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, DDD and bone spurs through out the spine.
Oh if you can deal with the other medical issues, the hysterectomy is a walk in the park. I had to stop taking my pain meds following the surgery cause I ripped an area following surgery when I tried to stretch. Your biggest problem will be dealing with staying down after while your surgical procedure heals which keeps you from moving and helping your joints.
I just sucked it up and suffered through the other pain. Sorry. I hope you have a better experience with your other issues than I did.
Best of luck, stay down, rest, have help and your belly pillow will be your best friend.
Unread 01-27-2017, 08:39 AM

We are very glad you've joined us! I have Connective Tissue Disorder, which is a different autoimmune disease. For me it presents much like fibro and scleroderma.

First, it's important that all your doctors are on board with your condition and any meds you take. If you have a rheumatologist, make sure he is aware of your upcoming surgery. If necessary, ask him to speak directly with your surgeon.

Second, have a pain control plan in place before your surgery. What will be prescribed for you to take at home? Will you be able to continue your regular meds? If the medication your doctor prescribes isn't working well, will a different one be phoned in? If you need a refill, will this request be honored? Some doctors do not refill narcotic medication, especially over the phone. I needed several refills post op.

I was discharged home with Tylenol 3. This managed my pain well as long as I took it around the clock as prescribed. My husband set his alarm and woke me to take it at night for my first 3 days home. After that, I took it during the day as needed.

Make sure your surgeon and your OR nurses are aware of the arthritis in your knees. The position we are placed in for hysterectomy can be hard on our hips and knees. They may adjust your position to reduce aggravating your arthritis.

Here are some articles to help:

Chronic Health Concern & Hysterectomy

Fibro & Hysterectomy Recovery

You will meet with your Anesthesiologist before you go into the OR. Tell him everything about your condition (including your asthma), and any meds you take. Tell him any concerns you have regarding pain, nausea, your neck or your back. Tell him of any secondary conditions, even if you think they aren't important. I have Raynaud's secondary to my AI disease and I almost didn't think to tell my Anesthesiologist... this was important information and he perked right up when I told him.

I did not have a flare after my surgery, but I do believe my recovery was longer and more uncomfortable due to my autoimmune disease. I was cleared to return to my desk job at 8 weeks post op. I returned gradually and my first 3 weeks back at work were part time. It was still very difficult for me.

While physical trauma can send some people into a fibro "spin", so can stress and emotional trauma. So do your best to relax and keep calm before your surgery. Take bubble baths, go for walks, meditate, do yoga. Keep busy and distracted with family and friends. Encourage positive "self-talk" and practice deep breathing. Believe that you will do great post op. You are in control of you.

and best wishes for a safe surgery & uneventful recovery!
Unread 01-27-2017, 08:55 AM

I have asthma. Make sure the anesthesiologist knows about it. They were the ones who were concerned in my case. If you have an inhaler, bring it with you. They'll probably have you take two puffs. Alternatively, they'll order a nebulizer treatment. I did the inhaler, and they checked my lungs every opportunity they had before wheeling me back. They were clear, so I didn't need the neb.

Post-op, I haven't had any major flare-ups.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register