Prometrium perscribed & I am a little confused on dosage | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Prometrium perscribed & I am a little confused on dosage Prometrium perscribed & I am a little confused on dosage

Unread 04-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Prometrium perscribed & I am a little confused on dosage

I am 6 weeks post op having a tah, due to large fibroids & ovarian cysts and was perscribed Prometrium and Evamist for hormone therapy. Prometrium was perscribed to take 4 capsules 1 time daily for 10 days, 100mg. I became extremely off balance and dizzy. I phoned the doctors office and the nurse told me the perscription was called in incorrectly and I should only take 1 per day for 30 days. Does anyone else take prometrium? I was to call the pharmacist to verify this, the doctor hasn't returned my calls. I would like to add that both my doctor & her nurse seemed a little preoccupied on the day I saw her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2009, 09:36 AM
Re: Prometrium perscribed & I am a little confused on dosage

Oh my, that must have been awful. How many days did you take four capsules and what strength were they? I take prometrium, one 200mg capsule at night. I recommend that you take them at night, they make you sleep so well. One a day sounds more like what the prescrition should be, but keep calling your doctor!!!! Don't let it go until you know.
Hang in there, drink lots of water!
Lemon
Unread 04-19-2009, 10:33 AM

That's a ridiculous high dosage - 400 mg. Normally one is prescribed 100 mg or 200 mg once/daily taken at night (within an hour of going to sleep). Your side effects are definitely from way too much.

I'd call the pharmacy and let them know of the mistake - they should have caught this too. And the dr office should be apologizing to you too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2009, 11:13 AM

400 mg of prometrium daily is a large doseage. I am not surprised that you had symptoms. I'm glad you called the doctor.
Unread 04-19-2009, 12:33 PM

My guess is that someone made a mistake! You were wise to call your doctor!
I take one 100mg pill each day, at night.
Unread 04-19-2009, 05:51 PM

Thanks everyone for your replys. I did call the pharmacist today. He told me the doctor had called in a new perscription. He said I am only to take 1 per day for 30 days. Have any of you taking prometrium had side effects? I am having very bad headaches, is this normal when taking hormones? I took the original perscription of 4 per day 100mg each only once. I called me doctor the following day and that is when the nurse told me the perscription was called in incorrectly.
Unread 04-19-2009, 06:53 PM

The headaches are usually due to fluctuating levels of estrogen. Sometimes due to low estrogen levels. Usually when things level out, the headaches go away. Perhaps mention this to your doctor too. And keep a journal of your symptoms - it helps. Good luck. Glad you only took the 400 mg of prometrium one day. It probably threw your estrogen balance off, so that could cause the headaches too. Stick with it, it does take a few weeks to get things stabilized, sometimes much longer.
Unread 04-20-2009, 12:32 AM

That's a good idea to keep track of my symptoms, as it will help me when I need to see the doctor again. I am really hoping I don't have to wait to much longer for things to stabalize. The pharmacist thinks it should be about a week. I hope so. Headaches through off my day completely. I guess if they don't go away, there is something else my doctor can put me on. I am seeing her on May 14. What other estrogen replacement is given? Does anyone know how a doctor determines how much hormones is needed or should blood work be done to check the levels? Two more questions, is there always a weight gain? Or is it mostly due to ones own diet and exercise? I have hear so much and I worry, I don't want to gain any weight.
Unread 04-20-2009, 01:45 AM

Estrogen can be replaced many ways. Pills, patches, creams, pellets, and injections come to mind. There are also many many dosages and combinations that you can try. Journaling is really important and giving it enough time to see patterns or trends will be helpful. To the best of my understanding, none of these work immediately. It takes several weeks to have them even out in your body. Some of our symptoms are more tolerable than others. I would not be able to tolerate a debilitating headache or severe depression for several weeks while we "wait and see". You are absolutely right to report those things immediately.

As far as knowing when you are on the right combination and dosage, some swear by lab tests and others go only on symptoms. I figure that when I can go several days and forget that I had symptoms, things will be good. I am not there yet!

Be good to yourself. You deserve it!!!
Unread 04-20-2009, 07:54 AM

One of the best things you can do for yourself is to realize that this process can take awhile. In the mean time plan on doing things that help you feel good. Eat right, take a walk and read good books. The less anxious you are about getting there the easier it will be. Prometrium is a progesterone, which inhibits estrogen receptors, when it is in balance it all works out, but I would think for the next week while the overdoes works out of your system you might need to treat some symptoms that wont bother you later... Hope you feel better soon.
Lemon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register