other mature women | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

other mature women other mature women

Unread 06-17-2004, 11:46 AM
other mature women

I would love to hear from other women in their 50s that are waiting or have had sugery already. I am wondering
how fast recovery is for older women and I can't seem to find a
lot of posts from women that have had the TVH and bladder and
rectal repairs.

I have had very few female problems over the years and now
having gone thru menopause I thought I would be okay. Then
things started falling out, was kinda gradual and then a few
months ago noticed that it felt as if I was walking around with
a tennis ball between my legs, sorry to be so graphic but that
is what it feels like.

Am curious as to how repairs went and what quality of life
is like after surgery, I work in a garden show and love being
outdoors but the work is kind of physical. Am I going to be a
little old lady when this is over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2004, 12:24 PM
other mature women

Hi,
I had a SAH/BSO, a sacral colpopexy [vaginal wall suspension sutured to tailbone, and a rectocele repair 5-21-04.I am 50.I had a burch bladder suspension and a para vaginal defect repair [big side wall vaginal hernia ] done 12-03,so this is my second major abdominal surgery in less than 6 months. I also had arthroscopy on a knee in Sept. I teasingly say this has been my year of interior recontruction,but my body has healed remarkably well.I have had no complications and am able to do everything I want to within doctors restrictions no lifting over 10-15 #.I am one month post op tomorrow and feel well. I do have a bladder infection ,but I'm on antibiotics .I am tired and my energy lags,but I believe even younger women also feel this fatigue. It does get better and if you need a nap take one. You need to listen to your body when it is healing. This is a stressful on your body. You will do fine if you do not have any other health problems. I would say make sure you are in good shape going into surgery cuz that helps. I was 50 # overweight but I walk 3 miles a day and having strong legs helped me just getting out of bed and moving around.
I am a strong old bat and that helps too. Good luck you'll do fine, but don't push your body before it's ready.
Unread 06-17-2004, 12:44 PM
other mature women

Quieteyes,

This is away from your subject. I like your picture.

Is that an Ingres or a David??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2004, 12:47 PM
other mature women

Hi Beth

I am 55 and had my surgery last year, TVH-BSO and rectocele repair. I was fine up until a few years ago and I started to have problems and was in the process of going through the change and still having periods. I had cramps most of the month , and other added problems so opted to have the surgery.

For me the rectocele repair hurt the most , not the TVH. I had a hard time sitting for about 5 weeks . I would recommend a donut pillow to help with that. I also had granulation at the site of the cuff, which is tissue that won't heal. They treated that with silver nitrate on a couple of visits to the dr. Not everyone gets this, but it is common.

When I first got home I had constipation problems so be sure to drink lots of water and eat fiber, stool softener to have easier BM.

I had hot flashes and was moody so I was put on the Vivelle patch and it helped with symptoms.

I am now off of hrt, my dr recommended that I should try. I have a few hot flashes in the day, but not bad at all and so far it is managable without needing meds. If it would get bad I would go back and try again at later date to get off.

I went back to work at 6 weeks (sit down job) and I was a bit tired after work for a few weeks. It takes a while to get back and running, but I think I would have been up and going sooner if not the rectocele and granulation thing.

You may not have much discomfort with the repairs, everyone is different.

If you want to check what others have to say you can go and click on "Search" at the top of the page and put in rectocele, or what ever subject you want to hear others talk about.

I feel fine and glad I had the surgery. I don't feel like my age and still can't believe it.

If you are active now, then after you recover from your surgery, you should be able to be active and be feeling a whole lot better.

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery. If you need to look up any info on procedures, etc. we have a real good place to look ,it is at the top of the page and it is "Resources"

s
Unread 06-17-2004, 12:58 PM
other mature women

Hi
I am 51 and like you never had female problems but found out on 4/14/04 that I had uterian cancer and had a TAH/BSO and the removal of 4 Lymph Glands in the area on 5/21/04. The last time I went to the doctor he said he was pleased with the healing and that I was a week ahead of schedule. He originally said it would take 6-8 wks for recovery and now says that I should be healed by 6/25/04. So older age does not necessarily mean that the healing will be longer.
LMO
Unread 06-17-2004, 03:00 PM
other mature women

thank you ladies, your responses have helped a lot. I guess I am scared of the unknown. I sure don't feel my
age and think that I am in pretty good shape physically. Was
very surprised when the Doc told me that it wasn't just my
uterus that is falling out. I do need to lose about 10 lbs and have a month before surgery to work on that.

History lady, I don't remember where I got that portrait, it is
my favorite. I think it is an Ingre but don't really know, someone
told me it is hanging in the Louvre don't know about that for sure
but my mystery lady does hang on my bedroom wall.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register