Catheters - BLAH! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Catheters - BLAH! Catheters - BLAH!

Unread 10-27-2004, 11:49 AM
Catheters - BLAH!

I am absolutely freaked out about the whole catheter thing.

The first one I had was when I had my c-section 15 years ago. It was an unplanned c-section so I had nurses on all sides of me giving me meds, sticking me, etc. Two nurses held me down and put a catheter in me and they weren't gentle about it.

I had my next one when I had my gallbladder out. It was inserted in the OR after I was asleep and removed the next day. Not too much trauma, but it still hurt like heck the whole time it was in! I also had one when I had my lap done 2 years ago but it was in and out while I was alseep. My last one was last year when I went to the ER for pain. They inserted a catheter to fill up my bladder to be able to see the ultrasound more clearly.

I know a lot of people say that catheters don't bother them and they don't even feel them, etc. but to me they hurt! Really, really bad! I mean, it hurts for me to even move with a catheter in. I'm dreading the catheter even more than I'm dreading the pain of surgery. I know they'll insert it after I'm out in the OR, but I'm afraid that they'll take it out and I won't be able to pee and they'll have to put it in again.

Am I just weird? Does anyone else have catheter pain? Is there anything I can do about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2004, 12:29 PM
Catheters - BLAH!

Hi, I'm one of the lucky ones that a catheter doesn't bother. Since you already know that they hurt you, I'd suggest that you let your dr know about it ahead of time. Maybe he/she will have an idea of how to make it more comfortable for you.

Best wishes.

s
Unread 10-27-2004, 12:48 PM
Catheters - BLAH!

(Stupid question?)

Do you HAVE to have a catheter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2004, 01:16 PM
Catheters - BLAH!

I too have had some bad experiences with catheters. I even insisted on a natural birth because I was afraid of having one. Unfortunately I ended up with a c-section and had to have one. I couldn't believe how easy that one was. I was so afraid to have it removed, because I was afraid it would hurt. It didn't bother me at all. The previous ones made it burn to pee for a couple days after having them removed. This one was totally different. Hopefully you will have better luck this time also.
Unread 10-27-2004, 01:35 PM
Catheters - BLAH!

Hi.

I empathize with you regarding the cath. I never had one before and needed one for a urodynamics test.

The tech was gentle and used a child's cath. (I can't imagine what an adult one is like)

It wasn't really painful, but I knew it was there. I would say it was uncomfortable.

Everything was fine until it was removed. It burned for the next few hours. I was also getting some (just a little) blood in my urine.

I know I'll need one when I go for the hyst and bladder sling. I'm definitely asking for the child cath. I don't know if they'll use one, but I'm going to ask.

See if they'll do the same for you! Hope so!

Best Wishes - Stay Well
Unread 10-27-2004, 01:58 PM
Catheters - BLAH!

hi jnn,
no, you're not weird...the catheter kills me, too. I had a panic attack in the hospital because they had to reinsert the cath several times because my bladder did not work right.

The doc even called a psych consult on me....like..duh...it HURT. So, yes, I feel your pain. Hopefully, though, you will not need one for a prolonged period post-op. Most women have them removed right after surgery and start peeing...some of us "exceptions to the rule" do not...but hopefully you aren't one of those.

I had my cath for 26 days and they had tried removing it several times....finally....the last couple of times we tried, the doc gave me some Xanax and something else to make me loopy (loopier than usual)...and that seemed to help the pain. I would definately let you doc know and tell him you will need to take something...just in case.

May your surgery go catheter-free!!!
Unread 10-27-2004, 04:28 PM
Catheters - BLAH!

They put a catheter in me when I had my hyst, and even though I was awake with a spinal, I had no idea they were doing it! It did not bother me while it was in, or when it came out. I am sure feeling tense about it doesn't help either. You WANT a catheter if you think about it...it allows you to rest and not have to get up until the following morning, therefore giving you a bit of time to start healing before you have to start moving around. I sat up on the side of the bed the night of my surgery, they took the cath out the following morning, and then I got up and started walking a few hours later.

I think you ought to talk to your doctor about how you feel about catheters. Perhaps a child sized one will help, or they can be sure to pick the most gentle nurse to insert it.

Good luck to you! I hope it all goes well.
Unread 10-27-2004, 04:39 PM
Catheters - BLAH!

I understand your pain. I had previously had a terrible time with catheters, pain and trouble taking them out and having to be reinserted so I was really scared about it - however as some one else said you really do want one for this as you can rest a bit longer before making the trek to the bathroom and honestly I had no trouble this time, I was uncomfortable But it did not hurt and came out like a dream I didnt even have after burn. Take heart you may be lucky.
Unread 10-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Catheters - BLAH!

I remember the last thing that my preop hospital nurse told me. She told me before I went under that when I woke up that I would have a catheter in and that it might feel painful and like I had to pee, but to relax and remember that it was the catheter. I didn't think much of it because I'm just generally not worried about that stuff. When I woke up in my room, I was hysterical because it hurt so bad...BUT...they were right. As soon as I laid back (they had me sitting up for some reason) and made a conscious effort to relax my pelvis (something I'm NOT good at), along with a dose of pain meds in my IV, it really did help. I was really in a panic about it, but the nurses were very nice, and beyond the first 20 minutes I remember, it didn't bother me. They also had me on Valium in the hospital to help with pain caused by muscle spasm, and I think this helped, too. I am a huge fan of walking in the hospital. It really helps to get your tummy moving, but for me it cleared the anesthesia fog a little bit. I was up seven or eight times a day for the four days I was there. I went and got my own drinks and stuff even. The only reason I mention it is that the catheter didn't bother me at that point, or I wouldn't have been walking. If it bothers you, let the nurse know. It is their JOB to fix it. Catheter tubes are NOT small. It stands to reason that they would be uncomfortable, so I don't think your fear is uncommon or unreasonable.

I also had a bladder repair, which could have been a lot of my discomfort too. Even with the bladder repair, which usually lengthens the time the catheter is in, I had it out on Saturday morning before I came home.

Let your nurse and anesthesia know about your fear before you have surgery. The recovery nurse can then remind you to relax and she will be ready with a good dose of pain killers.
Unread 10-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Catheters - BLAH!

Oh wow... I was just talking to my husband about this, this morning. I too am terrified of catheders. Ive only had one and that was when I had my last child. I had him naturally so Im not sure why I had the catheder. Anyways.... I thought it was very painful going in but after that it didnt bother me. This morning I was in tears after talking to my nurse on the phone about my pre op appt. Do they put everyone's in after they are out?? I really hope so. That will ease my mind so much to know that ahead of time. I too dread the catheder more than the surgery itself. Also, does anybody know if you keep them in the entire time you are in the hospital or just for the first day or so?

Good luck and hugs to you!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register