Second Opinion/TVT | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Second Opinion/TVT Second Opinion/TVT

Unread 04-18-2003, 05:39 PM
Second Opinion/TVT

The doc I am overwhelmingly referred to for a second opinion is in partnership with my doc... I guess I worry that it won't be a "valid" 2nd opinion but this practice comes up over and over again when asking the medical community for references. Any thoughts on this?

Also... in my reading about TVT(and thanks to all the LIW who offered references, I read them) it is very targeted to stress incontinence. I also have frequency and urgency but no one seems inclined to address those, uro says the TVT should help some but shows no inclination to work up the other issues.

Now, none of that bothers me enough that it's why I went to the doc, and the gyn thinks its probably the uterus sitting on the bladder (bad uterus, bad) but...I wanna go one-stop shopping here and fix it right the first time. Having second thoughts about having called the scheduler just yet....

AHHHHH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2003, 11:22 PM
Second Opinion/TVT

Hi Felix

Your question about the 2nd opinion is an interesting one. If the referals are sending you right back to a doctor who is in the practice you currently go to, then I would tell your doc that you would like this other physician to review your chart with him and give an opinion. Most doctors are fine with a patient seeking a second opinion, especially if it comes to surgery. In fact, many insurance company's require a second opinion before they will approve it.

Simply tell your doc you wanted a second opinion, then ask him to arrange a visit with the other doc for the discussion of the review of your records. It would even be good if they both could meet with you. That way you could be assured they are in agreement with each other. Most doc's in a practice are familiar with all the patients they have since they usually cover for each other (vacations, illnesses, etc...). You seem to be in a win-win situation. It can't hurt to look into it.

Best of luck. By the way, I've been here a long time, but maybe my brain isn't working tonight. What does TVT mean? That's a new on on me.

Hugs -
Melissa
Unread 04-21-2003, 04:52 PM
Second Opinion/TVT

TVT as I'm learning is for "trans-vaginal tape". It is a newer bladder sling procedure that is considered minimally invasive and the research looks good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2003, 06:10 PM
Second Opinion/TVT

I am 8 weeks post-op and I had a TVT also. It is the only thing I had a problem with after my Hysterectomy. I really never thought to ask any questions about it. I thought she would put the sling on and that would be that. However, Its not that simple. Although I do not pea my pants anymore when I cough or jump, I do have to sit backwards to go and my bladder does not empty very well, I also have some sharp pains and it does not feel the same, in fact sometime I can't even feel it coming out. I don't want to discourage you because I do know of some people who have had no problems with the procedure at all. But I think you are smart in getting a second opinion and ask what things will be like after. All in all I am hoping a few of my problems will go away with time as my bladder gets stronger. I think I probably would have still had the procedure done because I am to old to be peaing my pants! Good luck and I am sure the decision you make will be just right for you.
Unread 04-21-2003, 07:31 PM
Second Opinion/TVT

Sorry, got that wrong, it's "tension-free vaginal tape"
Unread 04-21-2003, 09:32 PM
Second Opinion/TVT

Filex

Thanks for the info. Didn't know what the apprev. was for.
I am not familiar with this newer proceedure. I am a nurse, but work on a cardiac unit, so my obgyn knowledge is kept current via this site!

Good luck with the second opinion, and I agree with Feelbetter, it's always good to look at a second opinion, and ask LOTS of questions.

By the way Feelgood - as far as the pains go, at 8 weeks, I was still having bladder spasms (sometimes felt as sharp pains while voiding) when I urinated and I didn't have any bladder repairs done. They finally stopped completely at about 11 or 12 weeks. The bladder is very easily irritated and just may be taking it's time to find it's own new position. As your doc about the pain, if the pains and feeling of not completely emptying continue. You don't need any problems with residual urine sitting in there.

Best wishes to you both -
Melissa
Unread 04-22-2003, 09:13 AM
Second Opinion/TVT

I had the tvt done for stress incon. I also had frequency and urgency, but I found that once I knew I could hold it I was able to "retrain " my bladder "some" I was always worrying about getting there in time or making it to the next public restroom when i was out and DR. said I had "spoiled" my bladder by emptying so often- it did make sense to me - It did not have to hold much, I would run to the bathroom! DR. told me to clench my fist and count to ten when i got the urge-for some reason it did help- kinda makes the urge go away- and try to hold out @ 2 hours I am very happy with my end results!!! I still thing I proably make more pit stops than some ladies but I know I WILL make it there in time and I've even been some places since surgery and I don't know what the bathroom looks like! LOL
Unread 04-22-2003, 09:32 AM
Second Opinion/TVT

Dear Felix:
I am 8 days post, and I had the TVT with my TVH, rectocele, and cystocele. I am all for the "one stop job". I really didn't have incontinence, but rather the opposite - the "iron clad bladder". It was rather pinched.

So far, I have some spasms, and I have had to change the position I pee in - I used to bend double with my chest on my knees, now I have to arch my back and look at the ceiling - but I was told this wouild probably happen.

During the first few days, it was really hard to do more than dribble, but now I have a steady stream, and it does not hurt so much.

Hope this helps!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register