Everything scheduled, insurance says NO; Update--Now it's a Yes! (5/18) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Everything scheduled, insurance says NO; Update--Now it's a Yes! (5/18) Everything scheduled, insurance says NO; Update--Now it's a Yes! (5/18)

Unread 05-06-2016, 01:38 PM
Everything scheduled, insurance says NO; Update--Now it's a Yes! (5/18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannien77 View Post
Just a quick update.....insurance has already come back and approved the surgery. There is hope for all of you out there who get the "insurance denied your claim" response. I was lucky to find the surgeon I did because he is very well respected and made it happen super fast. I am nervous as heck about the procedure but going to try to not think about it much until it is closer. Thanks again to those of you who replied earlier!
Dont be nervous, the worst is behind you. You will face the surgery with open arms and your recovery will be quick and easy IF you follow Dr's orders. I had a total hysterectomy 10 days ago and I can honestly say, my life has changed for the better. Little pain, great attitude and lots of support you will be ok in no time. Praying for you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2016, 02:45 PM
Re: Everything scheduled, insurance says NO; Update--Now it's a Yes! (5/18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannien77 View Post
Can I ask if you are happy you kept your cervix? My doctor wants to do a LSH but I'm not convinced that is what I want. Any complaints or praise for that procedure?
Although it has only been nine weeks post surgery for me, and it may be too soon yet to definitively say whether or not it was the right decision I made, I honestly was not keen on parting with my cervix to begin with. I didn't want to remove anything that was still healthy. I also had researched whether or not to keep my cervix and found that removing it may result in pelvic organ prolapse. And although he left it up to me my doctor isn't an advocate of removing a healthy cervix as well.

However, as I just recently found out, retaining the cervix may cause one to have mini periods or spotting monthly. I still have my two ovaries and haven't reached menopause. For me right after surgery for around the first two weeks I had absolutely no spotting/bleeding or discharge. They dressed me after the surgery in a panty with panty liner attached. I had no leakage. Then suddenly after the two week mark spotting started and lasted a couple of days. Told my doctor and they felt I may have moved around to quickly as well as it was still within the normal healing period.

Then last weekend I began spotting again. I don't mean I had to use a panty liner, but it was noticeable on my underwear and when I wiped myself. Up to today I'm still having a bit of spotting. I finally called my nurse two days ago to ask if's normal at this point. She said that it's rare but not uncommon. Because the cervix is retained there are cells that it sheds monthly at the time one would typically have a period. Of course, the periods would be very light if at all so they refer to them as mini periods. Interestingly my doctor told me that I'd have no periods, not mini periods or spotting, but no periods nothing. But it's not true. And after reading many accounts of other women both here and over the internet they also were told they'd have no periods but experienced spotting and mini periods after surgery.

Anyway, keeping one's cervix is a personal decision. For myself, I still feel it was the right choice spotting/mini periods included.

I had an abdominal hysterectomy (partial) and I was fine with it.
Unread 05-07-2016, 08:44 PM
Re: Everything scheduled, insurance says NO; Update--Now it's a Yes! (5/18)

Cal1....Thank you for the honest reply, I really appreciate it.

I think I may ask my surgeon if we can change it to a Total. I don't think I could mentally handle going through this surgery and still bleeding every month. I may lose it if I have to deal with any more blood. Plus, I just read that with adenomyosis it is better to remove the cervix because of possible migration into the cervix.

My doctor didn't promise me I would not bleed after the surgery but did say he has done thousands of these procedures and only two patients have come back with bleeding issues. I have no idea if that is because the patients don't mind the bleeding. I told him straight away that I would not be ok with bleeding and he still seemed to think that a supracervical was the way to go. I have complete faith in my surgeon but I don't know that he realizes how upset I would be if even a bit of blood were to happen every month. And insurance was being boogers so I'm not sure if I ask about a Total if he will have to go back to insurance and get approval again, which I do not want to do. Oh well, I have a little over a week to figure it all out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register