any one concerned about nicotine withdrawal - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

any one concerned about nicotine withdrawal any one concerned about nicotine withdrawal

Unread 03-12-2004, 04:48 AM
smoking

surgery = Monday; and I sit here smoking a cig !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2004, 07:56 AM
any one concerned about nicotine withdrawal

Hi ladies!

Headsup7up, you have a great point!! I was thinking that I would try to quit a month before surgery - now I'm thinking more like a week - but it will be really difficult since I know how stressed I'll be. I love the idea of the inhaler!

Last time I had surgery (outpatient) the first thing I did was go home and smoke. It's true how even if the cig tastes bad, you keep trying till it tastes good again. What's wrong with us? Maybe cause we know that if we keep pressing on, we'll get the pleasure back from it - and we always do.

I wish I never started
I wish I didn't have to quit...
Unread 03-12-2004, 08:08 AM

Just heard about my aunt and cousin who were in the hospital recently who are both smokers. They just went in the bathroom and turned on the exhaust fans to smoke. I personally don't have the nerve to do that. I'm going to stick with the inhaler, which I also plan on using when I am flying out to Nevada at the end of May.
Unread 03-12-2004, 08:47 AM

I smoked full flavor since I was 14 - switched to lights as soon as I got my surgery date and went down to ultra lights 2 weeks before surgery. I had instructions not to smoke 12 hours before surgery. I was able to do that. That night, after my surgery, I started craving. My night nurse said to go ahead and take a puff in the bathroom if I needed to (as long as she didn't "see" me doing it) but lo and behold - my daughter stole my lighter! Argh!

I really did consider trying to quit, but I was just not ready. I believe it was better for ME *not* to stress myself out even further trying to quit before my surgery.

But as someone mentioned previously - us smokers - we have that additional motivation to get out of bed. I was downstairs and outside smoking my ciggie by 9am Wednesday. LOL
Unread 03-14-2004, 05:23 AM
Trying to quit beforehand :(

HI Guys! Surgery is the 25th and I have Bronchitis! They gave me an antibiotic called LEVAQUIN which they said was strong (never had it before). I have definately limited cigs right now due to my terrible cough, and I want to heal as soon as possible so my surgery date doesnt get moved again.
I'm looking at it this way. I am 31 and have smoked since I was 17. If I can go 3 days without...I want to stop. Everytime I get a cold its bronchitis 3 days later. Whats hard is that I suffer from anxiety and I am scared to quit. My DH says he will quit if I do. Mmmm.....heard that before...lol.
I will give it a shot...my kids want me to quit and I know I need to. The DR said I dont smoke enough for it to be an anestestia risk (10 cigs a day or so). Good luck to all of you!
Unread 03-14-2004, 02:48 PM

i posted this message prior to my surgery, i am on the other side now and can offer my own advice, hehehe i used the patch and it went well. i had it put on in recovery and was so busy being miserable over the surgery and sleeping so much i only missed it in the morning and after meals but believe me it was only a thought and then i was fine. i smoke 11/2 packs a day sometime so this was a big deal to me. if i ever wanted to quit for good thats the way id go....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register