Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries? - Page 13 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Community - HysterSisters > Monthly Poll (and occasional Contest!)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
View Poll Results: If you had a hysterectomy, did you keep your ovaries?
Yes, I kept my ovaries. 2,500 47.55%
Yes, I kept ONE ovary. 592 11.26%
Yes, I kept one/both ovaries but they were removed during a later surgery. 78 1.48%
No, both ovaries were removed during my hysterectomy. 2,088 39.71%
Voters: 5258. You may not vote on this poll

Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries? Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries?

Unread 01-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries?

Hi ladies, I'm 51 and had a TAH on the 1st December. Both ovaries were taken. My gyno said that it was because I'm over 45 . If I was under 45 he would have left them. Besides, I don;t need them anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2009, 09:00 AM
ovaries gone!!

Hi, I'm 44 and 11 mos. and had everything but the "playground" removed on 1/16/09. My ovaries had cysts on them. It has not quite been a week yet and had my first little crying spell this morning. I will probably try HRT but also had a tummy tuck at the same time and dr. does not want to start HRT yet. Good luck to all the sisters in whatever your situation is!
Unread 01-22-2009, 06:09 PM

Hi Girls!!! I am 37 years old and had a TAH on january 22,2008. I asked to have everything taken out and I feel great. I am on HRT and have very few hot flashes.I think it is up to the individual situation. this is what worked for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2009, 07:11 PM

I had laprascopic hysterectomy and kept both ovaries not wanting early menopause. Everything went fine and I was back to work in 3 weeks. It's been six weeks now and I feel good. A few twinges here or there, but nothing bad.

Sure beats my life before!

Unread 01-22-2009, 09:10 PM

I kept the right ovary, everything else had to go. It's been 4 months now and the hotflashes are the only problem I have, usually at night. I've been taking the soy pills and so far hot flashes are my only problem. Am I glad I had it "YES", I feel so much better. I had a problem sleeping for about a month but all in all, great decision. I am dreading summer may need to go back to doctor.
Unread 01-22-2009, 11:37 PM

My GYN suggested to me that I might consider having both ovaries removed because I am 49 and the average age for ovaries to shut down is 51, and I was already peri-menopausal, so they wouldn't be working much longer anyway. Plus, she said, not only would I have ovaries that do not work anymore but I'd always have the risk of ovarian cancer if I kept them AND I'd continue to have problems with painful cysts.

So I decided to have them removed when I had my LAVH 4 days ago. No regrets. I do struggle a bit with the realization that I'll never be able to have anymore biological children but I deal with it. I feel fortunate to be alive and to experience love... there are more important things in life for me to worry about. So right now it's all about being thankful for what I DO have.
Unread 01-23-2009, 09:40 AM

My doctor wanted to keep the ovaries, my mom had ovarian cancer and I wanted him to look at them - he said it isn't heriditary. I had a vaginal hysterectomy.
Unread 01-25-2009, 12:00 PM

I recently had a RAH due to early stage cervical cancer. I kept both my ovaries. My gyno onc, who did the surgery, told me that "they looked beautiful" and he saw no need to remove them, since I'm only 40. Had I been around 48, he may have suggested to remove them as well.

Now, I'm just hoping that the surgical trauma didn't upset them too much. Maybe they'll miss their buddy "uterus"..... I've been having some minor hot flashes and cold chill waves, but my gyno onc and I think this may be due to medication and healing. We'll see, in another 3-4 weeks.................
Unread 01-26-2009, 12:45 PM

The original plan was to keep both ovaries. Once inside they found endomitriosis and the left ovary was pretty scarred and bleeding, so it was removed.
Unread 01-26-2009, 01:07 PM

Not sure why there was such a difference, but good for you for doing as you were told for that long. I would have broken the rules, I'm sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maume3
My ovaries were left in at my doctors suggestion (I wanted then out)

Also.... She may have really meant 6 months cause that's the written instructions I had too...."no lifting at all for 6 weeks, then no lifting over a gallon of milk weight until after cleared at my 6 month visit" but I also didn't "dissolve" my stitches my for nearly 5 months. At my 1 year checkup today he even found two still there! Maybe that's the difference though?

w

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register