One Grumpy Sister | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One Grumpy Sister One Grumpy Sister

Unread 06-13-2004, 05:11 PM
One Grumpy Sister

I found out that I need to have an abdominal hyst as soon as possible. My surgery is scheduled for July 19. My doctor said that my uterus is the size of a five month pregnancy. I have extremely heavy bleeding and have been miserable for longer than I can remember. I am both relieved and angry. For four years, I have been told at my yearly checkups (being seen by a different health professional each time) that my uterus seemed enlarged, but there was nothing to worry about. I would sometimes go for months without a period. When it finally arrived, I couldn't leave the house for days. Then, I would spot for weeks on end. I was sent for an abdominal ultrasound last year and it was the most painful experience of my life. When I asked why it was so painful, the nurse practitioner shrugged her shoulders. I asked if it was possible if I had an infection, and she shrugged her shoulders. The technician said that there was nothing unusual with the pictures. So, I left assuming that I would just have to learn to live with it.
This is just a small picture of what I have been putting up with. One doctor, when I told him that I hadn't had a period in three months had the nerve to ask, "You mean you WANT to have a period?" I guess he missed the day in med school when they taught that if a woman isn't menstruating, something may be WRONG!!!
We recently moved due to military reassignment. I saw a wonderful nurse practitioner who was determined to help me. She referred me to an ob/gyn doc. He repeated the ultrasound, took one look at the results, and said, "this needs to come out now!" My uterus is huge and sore. In addition to my bleeding, I am not ovulating. I was relieved to hear that I wasn't being a hypochondriac. I'm angry that it took so long to find someone who was able to put the pieces together, but relieved to know that I am on the verge of the beginning of a new life. I'm also a little scared, but this site has been a blessing. I know that there is no reason to complain about the YEARS it took to get somebody to listen to me and I'm trying to get over it. I'm just so sick of this attitude that we should learn to live with our menstrual problems and that hysterectomies are no longer necessary. GEESH! Sometimes they ARE necessary. Sorry for the long post, but thanks for letting me vent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2004, 05:21 PM
One Grumpy Sister

It's okay. This is the place to vent. This is the place where people will post "I was shaking my head yes the whole time I read that - it's exactly what I've been through!"

Here's a happy dance that you found someone to LISTEN to you about your symptoms and CARE enough to TAKE ACTION to help you feel better. I had a very similar experience in my life - a male doc just would pat me on the hand and tell me that I'm making something out of nothing. When I changed locations and got a new care provider who happened to be a female nurse practitioner, Things started being looked after in a hurry.

Up until then I thought it was "all in my head". It was awesome to find out that I wasn't just being a big baby about how I felt.
Unread 06-13-2004, 05:41 PM
One Grumpy Sister

wow--I feel it too.
I have been doctoring for three years for anemia--pills--tranfusions--hematologist--ultasounds-you name and no body thought I had issues--even with my annual pelvic/pap. My utereus is retroverted--five live births of big headed fat children--you'd think someone would have taken this road back when I was a hemo of 7.5. I mean--isn't this the FIRST logical source of low iron count in a woman?? My bleeding that doesn't seem to end? the pelvic pain--the constant heaviness in my rectum--my thighs on fire? I went hunting until I found a young gentle doctor--new in his practice who didn't hesitate to refer me to OB/Gyn. No messing around at all. Saw the OB guy--did a D&C and a hysterscopy and a month later we determined this was the path I was heading down. Bless 'em both (and in my expereince the female internist I was seeing for over 2 years missed the boat completely!) she took a Holistic approach--which I am sure is fine in its proper place--but jeez louezz.
wow that felt better--
Unread 06-14-2004, 07:25 AM
One Grumpy Sister

janDBlake, I think its rather normal to get angry about the system... I too get very angry when I think I have been complaining for Years about my symtoms and NO ONE seemed to put it all together.. I think my OB waited till I was 40 to do the ultrasound and that really angers me....

I think its part of the healing process... it helps us get to the next Level... so let the anger out and complain to your hearts content about the YEARS it took for someone to figure it out... it helps in the healing process... I have now accepted that I need to have the surgery (something that I have known myself for years now) , and I have HOPE for a better quality of life afterwards...
Unread 06-14-2004, 08:48 AM
One Grumpy Sister

Janne June 30 is my day too!

I've had problems for years too . It really started with anemia at age 18 when I needed mt wisdom teeth out. HB too low for surgury.
Hematologist thought I'd go on the pill soon and the gyn would be checking me, I was waiting for Mr right who never did show up....Twenty five years later my family doc was back in picture and insisted that I have a pap, which he could not do. Enter the bold gyn who boldy ventured to go where no one had been before under general anestethia for me. Tried talking him into a hyst then but he threw in a D&C. Boy was he glad he listened to me. During the last uterine biopsy he asked how long I had had heaavy periods and pain... Gritting my teeth I asked the lasst three months (bled daily) or the last 30 years???

The only prob with this gyn is that he is very good so he is very busy and thinks that I should be able to talk during a uterine biospy AGH AGH!!

Lately the pain is back worse every day and keeping me up nights. IT is uncomfortable to sleep on my tummy and I can't fall asleep on my back in bed.

Aint health care grand... Wish the Dr's listened to the experts ...us on our bodies.
nanc
Unread 06-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Thanks

Thanks for all the happy words. I'm not really that mad anymore. I'm actually kind of excited now. It seems as if there is a series of steps that many women go through. Let me say that I have a WONDERFUL hubby who has been an absolute saint in all of this. He even began to go to my appointments with me. When I would get discouraged, he'd tell me that we were going to find somebody who'd take me seriously. He's a school teacher and I'm having the surgery on July 19, so he'll be home with me as long as I need him. Also, I told the woman in the cube across from me that I was having a hysterectomy and she told me that she'd done the same last year. I have a new sister! We were busy putting a box together for a co-worker who's in Iraq and she said, "Now what can we do to help you?" Wow! The other co-workers I have confided in have been very gracious, too. Most people in my office just know that I am taking off to have surgery. They haven't asked what kind, they've just wished me all the best and been supportive.
Between my friends and all of you at this site, I am feeling pretty good. It's nice not to feel alone. I got my copy of the hystersisters book today. I can't wait to curl up in my jammies and read it.
Love to all of you!
Unread 06-14-2004, 01:31 PM
One Grumpy Sister

Jan,

Like our sisters said, you are at the perfect place to vent. I am not sure how many of our sisters have had to deal with military doctors, but it isn't the easiest route to take. You almost never see the same doctor twice, making it more difficult for them to be aware of your history, and most dont even read your past reports. I spent a very long time dealing with doctor after doctor just trying to stop the pain, and lessen the bleeding. I argued with lots of doctors, and went all the way up to the commander in cheif of the hospital to get some results. I was only 21 then, and they treated me as if I were a child. Your persistance has obviously paid off for you. Unfortunatly, in both worlds, civilian and military, you have to be persistant in order to acheive your own sanity. Nearly ten years later, I am finally getting my LAVH. Spent 9 years in horrible pain and unnecesary treatments and surgeries all because they felt I should deal with it and I was too young. Some how, I feel that this isn't just a physical freedom, but an emotional one as well. I hope that is how you feel when all is said and done. Free from pain, bleeding, misery, and stupid people who dont listen to US!!!!!!! Good luck and God Bless

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register