Suspicious cervix in 2005 and no did anything? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Suspicious cervix in 2005 and no did anything? Suspicious cervix in 2005 and no did anything?

Unread 06-05-2007, 08:30 AM
Suspicious cervix in 2005 and no did anything? Reoccuring dyspalsia!

I'm getting ready for my 2nd opinion appointment on June 11 and stopped at NP office to get results of previous paps so I could try to be well prepared (and in case she wanted to see them.) Was reading reports at work and saw that first abnormal pap was in 1998, had one 6 months later, came back fine, went back to yearly paps. In 2000 had another abnormal pap (says on report groups of squamous metaplastic cells cannot be accurately assessed due to degeneration,whatever that means), sent me to GYN and found I had CIN III, did laser surgery in May 2002, everything has been fine since then, or so I thought, was reading through other reports and see that NP at the time had put on my report to lab that in 2005 suspicious cervix, cervix reddened. She never even said ANYTHING to me, I can't see it how would I know something was wrong?, told her sex was very painful, she told me I was probably dry, use KY, I'm only 33 how can I be dry?, told her I wasn't dry, she didn't listen. I have appointment for June 27 for hyster ( GYN #1) due to dysplasia coming back (CIN II) and chronic cervicitis, which DIDN'T show on my last pap, had it on April 17, 2007( Happy Birthday to me!LOL), and it's showing NOTHING WRONG, NO INFECTION or DYSPLASIA, it's only showing up on biopsies (Dr. took biopsies from interior of cervix, which is more inside?). I don't know what to do besides wait for appointment with GYN #2 and see what she says, it's driving me crazy the waiting for appointment #2. Just wondering if other women on here ( I see there are quite a few) who have had reoccuring dysplasia and multipul surgeries ie.- LEEP, CONE.etc if you would have just had hyster when it came back the second time or just kept having LEEP, cone, etc, until you had no other choice but hyster, I know it's ultimately my decision, or if you have any advice on how to go prepared for appointment #2? I can't figure out why it's not showing up on paps, if I have laser surgery again or LEEP or cone and go for paps every year I'm scared it won't show up again and have to keep going back for biopsies, OUCH!, OUCH! OUCH!, until it turns into cancer. We don't want anymore kids so hyster is not a problem. Any advice, questions, whatever, would be very, very good. Thanks. Also noticed new symptoms, back ache and cramps before period, which I've never had before but I'm keeping track of, writing them down when I get them so I can tell GYN #2. Thanks again SISTERS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Suspicious cervix in 2005 and no did anything?

Strongredhead - I was reading your post and my advice is to get a second or third opinion for a gyn/onc. The thought of going to the oncologist may be frightening, but they also treat the precancer conditions. You are doing the right thing an listening to your body. After the runaround with my first gyn, I got a second opinion. Unfortunately, my second opinion discovered invasive cervical cancer. I had a LAVH and bilateral lymphadecomy and the pathology reports were clear, all cancer confined to the utereus. Good luck and lots of
Unread 06-05-2007, 12:32 PM

Hello!
Wondering on your lab reports from your pap smears if it mentions if the samples included the transformation zone also known as the T-Zone. The reason I ask is because I have been dealing with bad paps (biopsies and LEEPS) for many years. I had the chance to review all my pap results and was surprised to find out that every good pap I had there was not a T-Zone sample. Surprise Surprise when it was time to have another pap it would be a bad one. Could not figure out why I would one good pap, then a bad pap, bad pap, biopsy, LEEP and then start the cycle all over again.
Seems those ugly little bad cells love to hang out in the T-Zone. That could be why nothing shows up on your pap smears!! Just a thought!!

Its almost like false hope when the nurse calls you to tell you that you had a normal pap smear. You think to yourself "Maybe I am about to get off this roller coaster" ....only to have another pap smear in 3-4 months and it be abnormal.

Good luck with the second opinon!
Oh, one last idea....you might want to create a simple chart with the date of all your paps and test and list the results. It makes it easier to do a comparision....at least it was for me!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2007, 12:50 PM

Dear StrongRedhead (cool name!),

I had recurring bad paps across two years. One would be bad, the next (6 mos) good, the next (another 6 mos) bad, and the next good (another 6 mos), and then I ended up with HSIL (high grade squamous intraepithelial lesions) -- the closest to precancer one can get.

I had my first colposcopy in May 05 as a result of signs of abnormality, and then a cone section (and D and C and hysteroscopy) also the next month. The cone section showed the dysplasia contained within the sample taken (that comes up on reports as 0 plus or minus margin of error).

Then, in another 6 months, I came up with slightly abnormal cells (ASCUS) (atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance) and then in May 06, HSIL all over again. I scheduled another colposcopy/biopsy session, and they said it all came up HSIL again. I had a cone section that showed no dysplasia, but the gyn oncologist said that if I were in his family, he would recommend a hysterectomy. So I had the hyst in August 06. Everything was taken, and all that is left is the vagina down to the vaginal cuff, which recently showed, again, abnormal cells.

The short version of my message has to do with HPV: once you have it -- and cervical problems indicate you have contacted HPV -- you will always have it with you. Even if you have a hysterectomy, you will still be carrying the HPV viruses that triggered your problems in the first place. The issues are twofold: catching the precancerous cells in your body, of course, but especially boosting your immune system so that it works better to ward off the deteriorations that HPViruses seek to initiate.

One has good and then bad and then good pap smears because she occasionally has enough strength within her immune system to ward off whatever damage the HPV viruses can do. But then when the pap smear comes back bad, it is a result of one's body's immune system just breaking down again.

There are many on this site who have been in the same situation, and perhaps they will come along and help explain this further. If you want to do a search under HPV, you will find many posts about the topic. The hostess Jeanine is very knowledgable about HPV and the recurring issues one faces with it.

The more you can learn about your situation and about HPV, the better off you will be, because you can ask your new gyn all the questions you would like to ask. You will do well to work with a gyn oncologist, because cancerous issues are their specialities.

My guess is that your 2005 doctor didn't want to alarm you. I gather that you'd rather have known from the start what this was all about. Make sure you tell your new doctor(s) that fact, so that they do not try to shield you from information you would prefer having.

Very best wishes to you. You are not alone in your situation, and many of us will be interested in hearing your story and where you go from here, so please come back and tell us how you are doing.
Unread 06-05-2007, 02:31 PM

Blueheron2003-Thank you so much for the info, yes I wish she had told me in 2005 that cervix looked suspicious, maybe they would have caught before it went to CIN II. I don't know if I have HPV (assuming I do) because I don't know ( don't think) if they have tested me for the virus. Second appointment should be very interesting.
scared03- I'm going to mention to GYN #3 about gyn/onc referal and see what she has to say about EVERYTHING.Thanks for info.
JessicaG- Don't see anything on here about T-Zone, what is it? Probably a good idea to ask GYN #2 at my appointment, after I find out what it is.
Unread 06-05-2007, 05:39 PM

It sounds as if you are reaching a good place regarding your upcoming appointments, in terms of your questions and also your emotional stability, StrongRedhead. I found that the more I knew and was willing to ask my doctor about, the better informed I ended up being. If your cervix is involved, you are something like 99.9 % likely to have some one or more of the HPV viruses. I was tested three different times for HPV and came up negative each time (I went through an IVF [in vitro fertilization] program, and it's protocol for them to do such testing prior to letting you take part in the program). Within the year of my decision to stop attempting further IVF procedures, I came up with HSIL. On one of the readings I received back from one HPV tests, even the lab making the analysis concluded that such tests are not very reliable in all cases. Do ask your doctor about it, however, if you are concerned. My doctor says something like 85 % of sexually active adults are carriers of HPV, and that is why they talk about getting pap tests from the beginning when a young woman is sexually active.

It is so important to have as much information as possible going into this. I really admire your strength in facing your situation, and your desire to make some determinations for yourself. Please let us know how things go for you, and I will keep you in my thoughts as you face this next stage of your life.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register