Lupron before hysterectomy - what were your results? I am afraid. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lupron before hysterectomy - what were your results?  I am afraid. Lupron before hysterectomy - what were your results? I am afraid.

Unread 05-15-2014, 12:27 PM
Lupron before hysterectomy - what were your results? I am afraid.

Anyone here try Lupron before their hysterectomy? They want me to do six months of it......afraid.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2014, 08:15 PM
Re: Lupron

We have had many women try Lupron.

Hopefully one of them will see this post and respond.

Unread 05-15-2014, 08:24 PM
Re: Lupron before hysterectomy - what were your results? I am afraid.

summers,

I did six months of Lupron before my hysterectomy and it did what my doc and I hoped for. My 25 week uterus shrank enough for me to have a minimally invasive LSH.

There were some menopause symptoms. I was 55 (not yet in menopause) at the time which probably made it a little easier for me. My hormones had already started waning a bit. There were hot flashes, moodiness and it took a couple months to stop my very heavy bleeding but in the end I was glad I did it.

It isn't for everyone, you're wise to ask questions and research. I did one-month shots in case it got bad and I wanted to stop rather than the three-month shots. For me, the opportunity for a minimally invasive surgery made it worth it. I wanted a quick recovery and got it. It also let me recover from being anemic before my surgery.

Given the choice to do it again, I would. What do you hope for from the Lupron.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2014, 07:51 AM

Thanks for replying! My dr wants to do Lupron to see if menopause will cure my pmdd and menstrual migraines - the reasons I want the hysterectomy-before we do it. She says Lupron will tell us bow I'll feel after the hysterectomy. I'm on an emotional roller coaster but it won't take Zoloft becuz of the sexual side effects and my quality of life is crap for 50% of the time ( and wonderful for 50%!) I react poorly to medications. Mirena left me w a 5 day panic attack requiring 6 mg of Xanax per day before finally ripping it out.
Unread 05-16-2014, 10:40 AM

I'd suggest doing some research on the side effects and take a balanced view. I had a 6 month course that resulted in 10 years free from endometriosis pain and no need for surgery. Since then I developed large fibroids hence my hysterectomy but it really worked a treat for the endo. The side effects weren't great though - at 32 I had hot flushes, night sweats, extreme tiredness, emotionally a bit numb, my nails grew out with a white line across them like I'd been poisoned! I had to take calcium supplements with it as it can effect your bone density. I think the doctors in the UK are less prone to prescribe it than they used to be. So definitely worth thinking about carefully and weighing it up with your doctor.
Unread 05-18-2014, 01:52 PM

I did six months of lupron after my first endometriosis resection, unfortunately I got nothing but side effects hot flashes, weight gain, emotional wreck. Three months in and had to get another endo removal. Finally gave up and had my hysterectomy last week one month after finishing lupron. I know it works for some people, but I definitely had a bad experience with it. It's a serious medication, so you have to weigh the pros and cons with your doctor.

Good luck to you!! 🌸🌸
Unread 05-18-2014, 11:12 PM

I did 6 months of Lupron last year. I went in asking for a hysterectomy to treat my migraines. I've been seeing a neurologist at Stanford since 2008 for the migraines. Normally, they last about 12 days out of a 25 day cycle and I pay about $200 per month out of pocket for Imitrex, which helps, but doesn't stop them. I've tried so many different meds I can't even remember them all. It turned out I had a large cyst on my ovary and nodules on my tubes, and he said he's pretty sure I have endometriosis. So I did the Lupron injections. Aside from hot flashes, I felt great! My mood was better and I had a lot more energy. My migraines were much much better. I did get a mild one for a couple days after my injection every 30 days, but it was very mild compared to what I'm used to, and short lived. My cyst shrank and the cramps and diarrhea with my periods went away, and sex was no longer painful. My migraines came back with my first period after I stopped the injections. It's a little over a year since my last injection and many of my endo symptoms have returned, including painful sex. I'm going in Wednesday for a total LAVH, including both ovaries. Honestly, my decision is more to treat the migraines than to treat the endo. In my experience, the Lupron was great!

Edit- I forgot to mention that hormone therapy is not an option for me because I get auras with my migraines. The auras with migraine significantly increase the risk of stroke when given hormones, so none of my doctors will give me BCPs or use hormone therapy to treat the migraines. My options are very limited, which is why I'm ready to go to extremes. This risk is not seen with migraine without auras.
Unread 05-19-2014, 07:20 AM

The Lupron I used was to shrink fibroids so I can't relate to the PMDD issues. The one month injections would seem logical just in case you have a bad reaction.

I had migraines with aura way back in my teens/twenties until I went on BCPs. I'm using HRT now and have been for over six years without issue. Back then they didn't do much for migraines so I suppose I was lucky the BCPs stopped them.

I hope you find relief.

Unread 06-16-2014, 07:15 PM

This thread is old but I just wanted to say I went through Lupron for the exact same thing. I'm 5 years post surgery and it got rid of my constant migraine and PMDD. I still get migraines but not like it was before. Good luck!
Unread 06-16-2014, 10:23 PM

It's a big decision with no guarantees. You just have to make the best decision for you with the information that you're given and go with it. I did the monthly injections for 3 months to shrink a large fibroid before surgery. Unfortunately, the fibroid didn't shrink one bit. Still, I don't regret taking lupron because it seemed like the right thing to do at the time. What's the saying, hindsight is always 20/20 Good luck!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register