surgery tomorrow...bowel prep trouble | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery tomorrow...bowel prep trouble surgery tomorrow...bowel prep trouble

Unread 06-26-2008, 04:37 PM
surgery tomorrow...bowel prep trouble

HI everyone

For my LAVH I had to do the bowel prep they do for colonoscopies because there are adhesions on intestinal tract and bowels......so I had to mix 64oz of Gatorade with 255ML of miralax powder.....I had to also take dulcolax tablets before the powder and after. Well I took the first does of dulcolox and then I drank 60 of the 64oz of mixture and started to vomit after. Has anyone had a bowel prep like this? I also have to take antibiotics 3 times today.....and clear liquid diet for the whole day!! I feel so bad because I have spent my whole day either in the bathroom or in bed and not with my kids!!

They finally called for pre op instructions.....I am excited i have a private room because I will be on the women and infant floor.....so that is good. The nurse was really helpful but does anyone know what a urethra stent is?? I guess I am having one......so any help would be great!! Love Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2008, 05:00 PM

that's a lot of liquid - over what period of time did you drink it?
Unread 06-26-2008, 05:02 PM

Skipper, I had to drink 8oz every 15 minutes....UGH...I am figuring all the liquid had to make me vomit~~ Everyone I talked to said it sounded like ALOT to drink in a short time. Love Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2008, 05:05 PM

a stent is used to keep a tube open, the urethra is a tube in the body. hope that helps. hugs me
Unread 06-26-2008, 05:32 PM

Make sure you aren't chugging the liquid. Make it take 15 minutes to drink. That helps.
Unread 06-26-2008, 09:16 PM

Hi bethers21, That is the same thing that I had to do when I had my colonoscopy last July 5, I,like you i had a hard time getting it to stay down without the vomiting. I vomited quite a bit and it didn't work, I ended up , doing it a second time, but I used the propel flavored water ,instead of gatorade and drank it cold. Was able to keep it down and it tasted better then the gatorade / miralax solution. I am doing my colonoscopy again this July 7, I reminded my gastro doctor, that I couldn't do the gatorade/miralax solution and would be using the propel instead of gatorade. She was glad that I reminded her of what happened last year. They found polyps last year that was turning into cancer, so I have to have a colonoscopy every year. That 's why I am having a hysterectomy, I keep getting polyps as well as fibroids and heavy bleeding and cramps from HADES.
Tina
Unread 06-26-2008, 09:28 PM
bowel prep

I had to drink that stuff for my colonoscopy I had about a month ago. It made me very sick towards the end. I called my doctor before I started getting sick and he let me quit drinking it because I was already having the clear stool. All he wanted was at least three of these and I had way more than that. Anyways the procedure went well and I didn't even drink all of mine. Good luck, I hated that stuff.
Unread 06-26-2008, 09:44 PM

Thanks so much ladies!! Man that stuff was horrible.....I am still waiting to take the last of the antibiotics and praying I can sleep tonight. I can do this clear liquid thing until 8:30am YAY....I CANNOT wait to have FOOD!! this is just crazy....never knew this could be like this. I am still a little nauseous but no more vomiting. I am hoping the urethra stent isn't anything too major. Love Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register