Scheduled LAVH 1 week pre-hysterectomy (8/21) and depression | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 week pre-hysterectomy (8/21) and depression 1 week pre-hysterectomy (8/21) and depression

Unread 08-13-2014, 11:54 AM
1 week pre-hysterectomy (8/21) and depression

I'm scheduled for Aug. 21 and for some reason I just got SLAMMED with depression. It's not even the lose of fertility(I lost that with my tubal 2 years ago and the resulting scar tissue). I don't know why I just feel so down about this

Is this normal? Does it get better? I just feel like "Oh yeah, here's another organ I'm missing, another set of health problems I had to deal with."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Re: 1 week pre-op and depression

Hi mrserinv -

What you are feeling is completely normal. This is such a tough surgery to digest and process.

It is hard to loose your uterus, something that has made its presence known to you, for better or worse, for decades. And now that is being taken from you by force. So of course you are upset, and of course you are depressed. It is okay to have these feelings.

Know that you are not alone in this. I had a difficult time loosing my uterus (and in my case cervix, ovaries, and tubes.) It was a very emotional time for me - I felt very empty and unfeminine. The intensity of these feelings decrease overtime. They still happen now and again, though.

We do have a forum called Aching Hearts where you are welcome to post.

Unread 08-13-2014, 08:31 PM
Re: 1 week pre-op and depression

Hello, mrserinv,
I'm having mine Monday & am on a rollercoaster of emotions, too...nervous, anxious but also looking forward to hopefully being pain free & no heavy periods! I will be thinking of you next week & wishing you well. Hopefully next time we're on here we'll be on our way to a smooth & restful recovery. Hugs to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2014, 09:32 AM
Re: 1 week pre-hysterectomy (8/21) and depression

I also felt very sad about having a hysterectomy. I couldn't even discuss it with my doctor without weeping. I cried all the way into the OR. I loved my uterus. It was always well-behaved (light, short periods) and it gave me my only child. And here I was, having it pulled from my body and tossed. I loved my fertility and it made me feel sexy and feminine. Even though I knew I wouldn't have another child, I didn't like the choice being taken from me forever. You are not alone in feeling sad and depressed. It is a difficult thing to process. I found after the surgery these feelings were even more intense and I cried a lot. Communicate with your loved ones how you feel and get them on board so they can help you through this. I think it's also important to talk to your doctor about how you feel as well. Sometimes antidepressants or counselling are helpful and may only be needed for a short time. Wishing you the best.
Unread 08-16-2014, 11:00 AM
Re: 1 week pre-hysterectomy (8/21) and depression

Being emotional pre and post op is normal I am 17 days post op and started getting emotional 3days ago just started cring for no reason then 10 mins later I'm fine my Dr said It's totally normal even tho I have both ovaries as for losing an organ instead of d worring about health problems think how much your health will likely improve mine already has as for before surgery is very scary I was scared to everyone kept telling you'll be fine don't worry I thought they were lnconsiderate but you have a right to feel scared it will be ok we will be waiting for you on the other side just keep your head up sweetie BOTH OF YOU HUGGGGGS!!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register