What happens at the pre-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What happens at the pre-op What happens at the pre-op

Unread 09-24-2004, 08:22 AM
What happens at the pre-op

I keep hearing about the Pre-Op. I go to the Doctor the day before at 3:15 and then to the hospital after for the Pre-Op. What happens at both?

I want to thank everyone for all the info. This site has helped alot. I'm still stressed, but knowing what is going to happen makes me feel better.

Thank you, thank you!!!!! Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2004, 08:27 AM

Hi Sister
At my Pre OP the doctor just more less let me know my options and we together made the choice of what to go with. Blood work things like that I am having mine on Oct 1. Still trying to get some in put from the other sisters on what to expect at the hospital and after.
Unread 09-24-2004, 09:24 AM

Hello ladies, Pre op basically is like a physical to make sure you are healthy enough to have the surgery, draw blood, ck blood presure, listen heart, lungs etc and go over what to expect.
I also had a pre registration with the hospital they drew blood , talked to me about enema and diet pre surgery.
I had a TAH+BSO and bladder repair was in hospital from Mon-Thurs. I was taken off IV on 2nd day and cath removed.
Was on a liquid diet until I was able to pass gas(fart) then given normal food. Was up and walking 2nd day and showered on 3rd. Staples out on the 4th day before I went home and butterfly tape put on. That stayed on 10 days.
Spent much of my first week sleeping and taking pain meds and small walks around the house. 2nd wk was doing better and even walked around the yard.
Each wk gets better and have been able to do more. I have walked around the block and been into town(30 miles) shopping with DH and DS. I am doing some dishes and light loads of laundry.
I had my 4wk ck up and DR said all looks good and healing nicely. No sex for another few wks and no heavy lifting yet. Was told to do some strectching and can start driving.
(on pain meds for back so no driving yet, ruptured disc prior to hyster surgery in a few wks)
Everyone heals differently and own pace. What some can do rigt away others may be delayed on. Listen to your DR and your body !!
Still have some swelly belly and some tenderness but have lost 16 lbs. Watching what I eat and less of it. Walking and drinking tons of water.
Was put on the HRT patch Climara(estrogen) 0.1MG wight after surgery and am doing fine with it so far.

Hope this helps and sorry was long. Good luck to you all and speedy recovery

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register