Bleeding w/Cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bleeding w/Cervix Bleeding w/Cervix

Unread 08-30-2005, 02:28 PM
Bleeding w/Cervix

If you keep your cervix do you have bleeding after your healed? Unless they find something unexpected during surgery or if I test positive for HPV, I intend to keep my cervix. I'm just curious about how bad the bleeding is or how frequent. I understand that there is discharge post-op I really talking about bleeding after you get your life back.

thanks

PMM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Bleeding w/Cervix

Some sisters that keep their cervix do have mini-periods. I think they last a couple days and you will be ok using a panty liner. I am not sure about how often they come but I think I read they come monthly. Sorry I can't give you any hard core facts because mine is gone. Maybe do a search on mini periods.
Unread 08-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Bleeding w/Cervix

Hi PMM,

Some women who retain their cervix and their ovaries, do experience what is referred to as a 'mini period'. It doesn't happen to everyone who keeps their cervix, but there are some.

Since I kept my ovaries but had my cervix removed, I don't have a personal experience to share with you, but there is a Pre-Op Article that discusses keeping the cervix that might be helpful to you.

Keep Cervix?

s, Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2005, 08:42 PM
Bleeding w/Cervix

Hi PMM,

I kept my cervix and I have not had a mini-period in post-op. My Dr. cauterized my cervix during surgery and that has prevented me from having a mini-period. As Crossfire said, some ladies who keep one or both ovaries and the cervix get a mini-period in post-op. As Tanner413 said, it just requires a pantyliner.

I can suggest you talk to your Dr. and see if he/she does cervix cauterization during a hyst.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 08-30-2005, 08:46 PM
Bleeding w/Cervix

I have a mini-period.

It's light bleeding, a little spot on a panty liner once a month, just like clockwork.

It doesn't get in the way of any of my activities in the slightest. My doctor has offered to do some sort of freezing of the cervix as a way of sloughing off the endometrial tissue (I have endometrium that grows within the cervical canal and can be seen during my exam).

I've decided not to do that though.

I kind of like knowing that my ovaries are working. I know it sounds weird.

My doctor says that she's never had a patient who's had a mini-period before. So it's not that common (there are a few other ladies on this forum who can chime in with their experiences). I believe the figure is 5-7% have some cyclical bleeding after a SAH.

If I had it all to do over again and someone told me that I would definitely get a mini-period if I kept my cervix, I'd still keep it.

Take care.
Unread 08-31-2005, 05:08 AM
Bleeding w/Cervix

Thanks. I feel the same way. If I can keep the cervix the mini periods are the least of my worries. For me the ovaries are going so I wonder if there is less chance of the mini periods without the hormones coursing through your body. I don't intend to take HRT only flax seed, soy and possibly other supplements.

PMM
Unread 08-31-2005, 09:16 AM
Bleeding w/Cervix

If you don't have your ovaries, you can't have a mini-period.

You need cyclical hormones, like those levels in a birth control pill. Even if you did HRT, it'd be at lower levels and usually doesn't have the break that causes the bleeding.

Take care.
Unread 09-01-2005, 06:19 AM
Bleeding w/Cervix

Thanks I thought that was the way it would work. Now I have to wait on getting an MRI whcih is scheduled for next wednesday. The Dr. needed to run a test to check my ureters prior to surgery. It could be an MRI or a different less expensive test. I wanted the MRI because I feel the situation has changed a lot since the last ultrasound a month and a half ago but cost is a factor .

On my last visit the dr did a pap to test for HPV and also decided to do an internal. Now if I push on my right ovary I can't really feel a sharp pain but I'm guessing that is because my uterus is flipped back. The dr started manipulating think internally and then pushed on top. I was fine until she pushed on my right ovary. I almost kicked her. After that she said that I would be going for the MRI. I don't think she thought I was in as much discomfort as I am. I tend to keep a positive attitude no matter how crummy I feel which can sometimes work against me. The response she saw was completely involuntary so she knew that is hurt. Maybe the results will get me an earlier surgery date.

Right now they are in the middle of getting is scheduled with the hospital and the other surgeon that has to be there for deal with the adhesions. I know whatever is going on is getting worse because I used to be able to sit up straight for about 2 hours with our a buring sensation. Now I can only do it for and hour and a half and the last half houris questionable.

PMM
Unread 09-01-2005, 06:41 AM
Bleeding w/Cervix

I had my SAH 5 weeks ago today and outside of some spotting the day after my surgery, I haven't had any bleeding at all. What a refief knowing that Aunt Flo was finally evicted. Good Luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register