Scheduled LAVH Kinda worried | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Kinda worried Kinda worried

Unread 03-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Kinda worried

I started a new job at the end of feb and got my surgery date 2 weeks ago. As soon as I got my date I told my trainer and he put the time off request for me. I looked on the upcoming schedule and I'm schedule for the time I requested off. I work from home and I have not been given a supervisor just yet so I can't even talk to someone about it. I did tell my trainer and he said he doesn't see it being a problem but I'm a worrier and now I'm worried I could end up not getting time off. I live in Ontario so do you think they will fire me? Or can they for taking time off for a surgery? I love my job and don't want to lose it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2013, 02:40 AM
Re: Kinda worried

I would try to find out who to talk to other than your trainer to see if everything is ok. Otherwise if your hysterectomy is not an emergency, then maybe you can postpone it a month or so since you just started your new job? I don't know anything about how Canada does things. I wish you the best and hope it all works out for you!
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:09 AM

I'm not 100% sure of the labour laws but I don't think they can fire you. I'm in Ontario as well and I've never heard of that happening anywhere but yours is a unique situation and I'm not sure what your surgery type or date is but if it falls within your probationary period, I don't know what the ramifications would be. I would contact your HR department and ask them, also be sure to get it in writing from them as documetation.
I'm sure you'll be fine, but you need to get confirmation from someone other than your trainer as they are likely not qualified to answer that question.
If your surgery is not an emergency if you can put it off for a few months that may help, I'm not sure if your benefits will kick in so soon into a new job if you have them. You may be without income if that's the case.
BTW: Where in Ontario are you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2013, 07:13 AM

I'm not worried about the benefits. I know ill be without income for a few weeks which is fine. I'm in Guelph Ontario. I'm hoping I can figure out today who I can talk to about this. We just finished training Wednesday so were still waiting on our supervisor to contact us. Once I know who that is I can breathe a little. My trainer is high up on the list for management so I know he wouldn't point me in the wrong direction. It's just frustrating because its unorganized at the moment
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:19 AM

I can appreciate the frustration. I would still contact HR at this point as this is the kind of thing they are supposed to help with. Your supervisor may actually contact them for an answer. I used to be a manager and it was always HR who answered these types of questions. I'm pretty sure they can't let you go because of this though, I think you'll be ok.
I'm not too far from you in London.
Good luck, I hope you get the answers you're looking for soon to help you feel a bit more at ease. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:31 AM

I emailed hr(only way to contact them) I won't get a response until Tuesday I assume. Also called attendance and they are getting someone to call me. Working from home is a bit different than an office as the people aren't right there. Luckily I still have 17 days to deal with all this. I'm already stressed about surgery so this just adds to it. I'm also the type of person who needs all her ducks in a row weeks in advance or I tend to go a little crazy oiy
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:04 AM

Email is good because they have to respond to you in writing.
As for the surgery, you'll do great. I see you're having TLH and it'll be a lot easier than having abdominal. Don't let the post op boards scare you as most women have a fairly good recovery, myself included and only post if they have questions or concerns.
I had LAVH and was back at work in 4 weeks feeling pretty good and going on 9 weeks this Thursday feeling like my life has definitely changed for the better. All of my preop issues are gone including symptoms I thought were unrelated which is great. My recovery went pretty smooth with only minimal issues that were just normal for recovery.
Some advice for you post op:
Follow "the rules" given by your doc and don't overdo it. Rest as much as you can and avoid bending and lifting. Your body will tell you if you've done too much so listen to it and rest if you have.
Get on top of your bowels right from the start. I personally had the most discomfort from the initial constipation caused by the T3, and once that was managed I was feeling immensely better. I used a combo of stool softeners with senokot taken at night before bed with a lot of water to get things moving. What a difference it made for me.
Walk as soon as you can and do this daily gradually increasing the amount as your body allows you too. This will help with the initial CO2 gas and with constipation and energy. I found once I was moving more my energy levels increased daily and I started to feel better and better. It will also help with blood clots. Don't do more than your body allows though, that could cause a setback.
All in all I had way less pain than I initially anticipated and it was really more discomfort than anything. I expected to be in agony but never was at all.
Prepare your house by cleaning thoroughly and stocking up on easy foods. I cooked preop and made a bunch of things I could freeze and reheat easily for the first couple of weeks.
You'll do great, just remember while you're recovering if you have any concerns that's what this site is great for.
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:45 PM

Spoke to my supervisor today. She told me not to worry and I will be fine to take the time off. It's not all sorted out yet but at least I can relax and focus on my surgery now!! So relieved
Unread 04-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Kinda worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdeluca View Post
Spoke to my supervisor today. She told me not to worry and I will be fine to take the time off. It's not all sorted out yet but at least I can relax and focus on my surgery now!! So relieved
That's good to hear.
Now you just need to get ready, then recover. You'll do great. Let me know how everything goes.
Unread 04-01-2013, 02:53 PM

Thanks!'

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register