Medroxyprogesterone | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Medroxyprogesterone Medroxyprogesterone

Unread 02-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Medroxyprogesterone

Hi! I had posted something in the cancer forum but also had a question about hormones. I am taking progesterone because of hyperplasia. 14 days on and 14 days off. 20 mg a day.
I started in June 2010 so its 8 months now. I am in my early 40's but went through menopause quite young. After the first 14 days in June, I stopped for 14 days. After 2/3 days off of it, I had a small period again. My gyn said this is suppose to happen. Well after that first month I have not had any more bleeding after stopping for the 14 days. I had one spot last week but that is it. Does anyone know why this could happen??? Does it mean I am not making enough estrogen?
Can it be building up the lining of my uterus but not be working? The reason for taking this is so that I do not have a build up in my uterus because of they hyperplasia. I am going to make an appointment with her but does anyone know why this could happen?? How come it worked the first month but not now? I am so worried that its making my uterus thicken but not shedding afterwards. I asked my gp a few times and she said it was a good sign and ment that if I was not bleeding its because there was nothing to shed but doesn't progesterone makes ones lining of the uterus thicken?? I forgot to mention that I am overweight and even though I am post menopause from what I read being overweight causes the body to create estrogen? Does no bleeding mean that the lining is fine and there is nothing to come out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Medroxyprogesterone (help please)

I am not sure where to post this. It does have to do with menopause and hormones but haven't had a hysterectomy.
Last year I was spotting so had a few blood tests and dr told me I was in menopause (early forties). Went for biopsy, results showed complex hyperplasia with atypia, Gyn said had to have hysterectomy but first wanted to do D&C with hysteroscopy, Had that done January 26,2010, went for results Feb 18, 2010..D&C showed no cancer, and only simple hyperplasia no atypia. Gyn put me on Megace for 3 months, had another biopsy June 2, 2010 got results beginning of August, no sign of Hyperplasia. Gyn put me on Medroxyprogesterone 20mg a day 14 days on 14 days off of it, wanted to try and shed lining. Started June 2nd, 2010 for 14 days, stopped and had what I'd call a period, but it couldn't be that right I am post menopause??? After that first bleeding, kept taking Provera (still taking it) but haven't had any bleeding at all. My question #1 is can this be normal???? I haven't even had any spotting except once, one dark spot (old blood) and that is it. I am in menopause so it seems normal that I won't bleed but I did after that first does of Provera so I am so confused. You'd think after stopping for 14 days I would have some kind of bleeding after all that is what its suppose to do but even if I am in menopause, question #2 wouldn't the lining shed if it was building up again after stopping the Provera for 14 days? I keep telling myself its good news, means there is nothing to shed?? I called in Dec for an apt (6 months) gyn on maternity leave and tried to make an apt with another but 3 months waiting list so got apt with my Gyn for April 6. 10 months now and I am so scared that I didn't get a biopsy at 6 months.Its 4 months past due. The anxiety has started, my Dr gave me Ativan but I don't want to take it everyday, she said it was habit forming. I'd rather take it when waiting for the results as I know what the anxiety well do to me then. If anyone can shed some light on my 2 questions it would be appreciated. Sorry this was so long.

I forgot to mention that I am someone scared of another D&C. I didn't want to be put to sleep so she said she would freeze the cervix and then give me some drugs to make me sleep and not feel anything. Well BS!! I felt it and when she was doing the D&C I was crying so much saying how much pain I was in (not when she did the hysteroscopy but the actual scraping)I was awake for the whole **** thing! After in recovery, most of the women who had the same thing were sleeping I was wide awake. The nurse asked me if I was sleepy and I said no, and she thought maybe I didn't get enough drugs to make me sleep. Well duh. My regular DR read the reports and said she could have given me 2 times the amount she did no wonder I felt it. SO I am so scared of another one, I can't tell you how painful it was, it was terrible.
Unread 03-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Re: Medroxyprogesterone

Hi

I have been through a lot of that, and can relate to your fears and anxiety!

The only time I bled after a round of Provera was when I took it for 10 days, then off for 20 days. When I took Provera for longer times, I would not bleed. When I was diagnosed with hyperplasia, I took it for 90 days straight, then went in for another biobsy which showed a normal uterine lining.

Now, I was treated for this 30 years ago, and perhaps they have found that it is only necessary to do 14 days on/ 14 days off. to get the same results. You should discuss this treatment plan with your so that you understand what you should be expecting in results. Maybe the nurse would be able to help you. If you are not happy with this Dr, or even just to ease your mind, you could always see another Dr in another practice for a second opinon.

I'm sorry you experienced being awake for the D & C. That had to be horrible. There are so many things that can affect anesthesia, that you should discuss this with the anesthesiologist before any proceedure or surgery in the future.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register