Need Advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-29-2016, 07:27 PM
Need Advice

Hello! I am not even sure where to start... First off I am scheduled on 3/21/16 for Da Vinci surgery to remove my uterus and tubes. I currently have in the permanent birth control essure. Have had that in for almost 8 years with no known issues.

So for the last 5 years I have had crappy luck with finding a gyny I like. First one I flat out didn't like, second one I liked but I hated her office people and it was impossible to get an appt. Third one I just met in Jan... I met him once. He basically said what the second one said and that I can do a partial and take the uterus and tubes. While all this sounded great after I left I scheduled the surgery and have been researching things... First off I googled the doc himself and found 11 reviews all of them bad... about him not explaining things and bad bedside manner. SO that freaked me out... He only did one well woman exam... no ultra sound or anything and was ok with operating on me... and the more I think about it the more I think he just wants the practice with the robot.

I guess I am just concerned and is it normal for a doc to not do ANY tests at all... and be cool to operate? What if my fibroid IS cancerous and they cut it up to get it out and it spreads the cancer... Do they typically test that before removal? I just feel like I should get to know a doctor a little better and am having second thoughts on if I should postpone and find a doc I am 100% comfortable with?
They said I didn't NEED to do it now.. but I thought at first well why not when im younger and can still have it robotically with out having to fully cut me and Im at a good point at the moment.. I was caretaking my uncle and my mom was going thru some stuff... but I am not caretaking anymore and my mom is better. SIGH... I am for sure scared and having second thoughts...

Sorry so long and thank you for reading my craziness!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2016, 05:19 AM
Need Advice

What is your body telling you? So often we put all of our trust in the dr and forget to listen to our bodies. If you're not comfortable, don't go through with it. Try making another appointment so you can get all of your questions answered. Postponing may not be the worst idea. This is irreversible and should not be a decision made lightly. Good luck sweetheart!
Unread 03-01-2016, 06:57 AM
Re: Need Advice

I agree with cookiedup, make another appointment to get all of your questions answered. I understand the frustration in finding a doctor, but you need to be confident in your surgeon so if you still need to...get another opinion.

I have no idea, so I am just throwing this out there...did you provide your records to this current doctor or are you part of an HMO where your records are online for him to see? I am asking this because if either is the case, I would understand no further tests if he reviewed current US, CTs, etc. Also, a well woman exam usually occurs only once a year so if you have seen him for less than I year, only doing one well woman exam would be normal. Finally, be cautioned about Googling. Most who post are unhappy and need to vent; therefore, what we see looks awful as all of those who are happy with their treatment don't post and have just moved on with life. I made this mistake & saw a few bad posts about my doc's bedside manner being bad and not explaining things as well before we met...bottom line...I think my doc is great & explains anything I question in a respectful manner.

Take your time since more than one you have seen says it is not an immediate need. This will give you the opportunity to get to know your current doctor more and determine if he is the right one for you or if you need to keep looking...this way you will be confident in your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2016, 07:17 AM
Re: Need Advice

Hi!

Thank you for responding In short no he has not seen any of my records... He cannot obtain them thru the network... I do have an appt with him on 3/16/16 a few days before surgery to ask all of my questions and I just dropped off the ultrasound results from the last doc a few days ago for him to look at before the 16th.
I also spoke with my family doc and while he has never heard of this gyny he was able to look at the surgery order and the docs notes and he said everything looked in order and that he felt I was making a good choice and being proactive!
Part of me thinks I am just looking for excuses cuz I am scared to death as I have never ever in my 42 years had a surgery or been in the hospital and that I am doing it voluntarily makes me wonder if I am making the right choice and am worried that if something bad happens its my fault and I should have left well enough alone! That sounds totally crazy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register