5 month post op questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 month post op questions 5 month post op questions

Unread 05-17-2009, 01:40 AM
5 month post op questions

Hi All!! Did you miss me?? I have missed you.

Well I have a crazy story to tell you all before I ask my crazy questions.

8 days ago my hometown was near the center of the eye of an "inland hurricane." We had winds at 106 mph. I was at work (still no lottery winner) and it looked like it was raining roofing, our roof at the office was stripped to the decking! It was crazy. After I got home an hour and a half later, (my commute is usually 12 min). Every road I tried had a tree down across it somewhere. My house was undamaged, just no power for 72 hours. Thank you God. My husband and I went to check on my parents who only live 2 miles away. Their house was also safe and sound, with no power. They had just put in a new furnace 1 month ago, in the basement. Well hurricane + about 5 inches of rain in an hour + no power = no sump pump and a flooded basement. So here are my elderly parents ( my dad has serious heart problems and aneursyms and my mom has a 6 inch steel rod in her spine) trying to bail water. They couldn't call for help cause of the downed lines and there was no cell phone reception. We started bailing water and would take out atleast 15 gallons every 20 minutes. We were able to keep ahead of the water and saved the new furnace. Fortunately my parents power came back on and we only had to bail water for about 9 hours. My daughter couldnt help because she broke her thumb playing softball 3 weeks ago. ( She is 17 and will do anything to get out of work LOL) Anyway there were several towns affected by this storm and only one fatality. Thank God.

Ok I have rambled on about that for the following questions.

1. I will be 5 months post op tomorrow (Monday), this little extra work kicked my butt, I have had NO energy this past week. I mean getting up to go to work has been a struggle everyday, then I come home and put on my jammies and lay on the couch. Think this is still normal?

2. As you can see, its 2:30 am still having some issues with insomnia. I do beleive this is normal.

3. I feel more nervous since the storm... I take celexa for anxiety, have for a few years (I found my neighbor who had shot himself) have had anxiety issues every since. Do you think this is because of no hormones or just stress??

4. Finally, I have noticed that I am itching all the time, arms legs, back, ya know all over, Do you think this is because of no hormones or thyroid or what??

I am so sorry this is so long but I hope you liked my story.

Take care and God bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2009, 03:28 AM
Re: 5 month post op questions

hi glad to hear your all okay post storm.not sure bout itching but the not sleeping Im totally with you cant remember last good sleep?have tried every thing got tabs to try now,think your bound to feel more anxiety i think due to hormones i feel and see things totally different since TAH think body still getting over every thing???well good luck hope you feel better soon luv OWLS
Unread 05-17-2009, 09:09 PM

6 month to a year to recover and just when you get to that point you are a year older; hmmm double whammy. Just 9 wks post and still tire easy. Lets milk it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2009, 01:31 PM

I too am 5 mos. post op today from a TVH/BSO via DaVinci.
I figured by now I'd be feeling great. WRONG! I think I feel worse. Not only has the pelvic pain I experienced before surgery returned, but now I'm dealing with all the menopause stuff too.
Night sweats, hot flashes, moody, etc.... Don't want to do HRT because of history of endometriosis but I'm about at my wits end.
I have a doctors appt. today with my regular doc cuz my gyno refuses to admit endo can return and that he got it all.
I'm tired, depressed, and scared that this nightmare will never end. Sorry for the negative post, I want to be the one who encourages others that this too shall pass, but right now, I'm in the pit and need the encouragement.
Unread 05-18-2009, 02:45 PM

I'm 4-1/2 months post-op from a hysterectomy and 6 weeks post-op from a vaginal cuff repair. I still hurt badly from one of the surgeries -- not sure which one and I, too, am beginning to wonder if the nightmare will ever end. I'm tired of hurting, tired of not sleeping, tired of telling my husband and son I can't do something, and I'm tired of being tired. I can handle the not sleeping, but does the pain ever, ever go away?
Unread 05-18-2009, 02:58 PM

Girl, sounds like you had a busy time! So glad to hear all is well with everyone though. Things can be replaced so easily, not so family members. However, it was a bonus for you that you managed to save the new furnace, I am sure. They are NOT cheap!

I would think that given the amount of work you were doing, and the amount of stress you were under, it's no wonder you are so worn out! I think some of us discount the true effects of stress in our daily lives. That said, I also believe that there are so many women who are living with some form of hormone imbalance, that it is no wonder we are so exhausted. I am 11 weeks post-op today (woohoo!) and I still battle with exhaustion. I have held off on so many things, because I am so sure that I can't handle them, or that they will wear me out for days. I still have pains, but not as frequently any more. My incision still smarts if I lean up against on the counter when I am preparing meals, or bump it when I am doing housework. I am so ready for that part to be over with too. The best I can say to you, is that you are not alone. That may not be much comfort, but knowing that you are normal may give you piece of mind, at least.
Unread 05-18-2009, 04:02 PM

Hi KimHill,

I'm so sorry to hear that you are in the same boat I'm in with the pain and fatigue, etc. Went to my doc today and did something I never thought I'd let him do...write a prescription for antidepressants. He said the surgical menopause is a big blow to the body and can change the brain chemistry causing depression. And the depression makes pain worse. So he felt maybe if my moods were better I could handle the pain better while he does further tests to find out why I still have pain. He said quite likely that it's adhesions caused from my multiple surgeries and nothing to do for those. Oh joy! Anyhow, I will keep you in my prayers that the pain and tiredness subsides for you. Just know you are not alone in the nightmare.
Unread 05-19-2009, 06:48 AM

Thank you. While I'm not a big proponent of anti-depressants (they have an adverse affect on me), I do have friends and family who take them and they do make a huge different in their outlooks so you do have some hope for you. And you're right... oh joy! ... I have a suspicion that my pain may be adhesions as well... irritating to know nothing can be done for those with all the miracles of modern science, huh? I go back to the doctor tomorrow. I keep hoping it's just hurting because I had the second surgery just last month. I keep hoping it's temporary and now I'll hope for you as well. Again, thank you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register