Liquid Diet | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-09-2001, 11:32 AM
Liquid Diet

Hello Sisters!

I am 14 days from my TAH/BSO with bowel and bladder adhesion removal. Because of this, I will have a 48 hour bowel prep prior to surgery with only being allowed clear liquids. Also, I will have an NG tube for the first 4 days in the hospital (only IV nutrients) and liquid diet for day 5 and possibly 6 in the hospital.

Any ideas on variations of clear liquids for the 48 hours? I know about chicken broth and some jellos. I was thinking vodka and white wine would be in that category!!!! I may need it!

And although I am not overweight, I am trying to look on the bright side in that it seems I will have no choice but to loose a few pounds during this ordeal. This should help with the swelly belly and possible weight gain, right?

Anyway, just wanted some input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2001, 11:37 AM
Liquid Diet

Dear Dana:

I had an 18 hour liquid diet prior to my SAH/BSO. Had chicken broth, white grape juice, apple juice and yes I did have a glass or two of white wine because I was so incredibly nervous. I'm sure the doc wouldn't like to know that but it calmed me down. I also had 7up and sprite. The carbonation was not an issue for me luckily.

Good luck to you,
Betty
Unread 10-09-2001, 11:56 AM
Liquid diet?

Hey, I like that white wine idea you have going......
I have a large plate full of problems. All liquid diet the day before plus laxative........ and I'm insulin dependent diabetic. Scared to death of this dangerous idea. Asked to be put in hospital one day prior; no go. Asked diabetic doc what to do? Said chicken broth. Hey, I don't think so. Two insulin shots and a can of chicken broth for each meal? I think NOT!!!!! Too few calories.

Any ideas, ladies? I can't see myself drinking sugared sodas all day long; I'll be sick for sure.

Good luck to you all - God bless!
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2001, 01:40 PM
Liquid Diet

I was on clear liquids for 24 hours prior, and 4 days post surgery. I drank lots of different kinds of fruit juices and teas. Chicken broth comes in several flavors (garlic/herb, vegetable/chicken, etc.), which helped the boredom a bit. Also, various jellos and popsicles! Good luck!
Unread 10-09-2001, 03:59 PM
liquid and clear liquid

Remeber that "liquid" and "clear liquid" are NOT the same thing.

I had the 48 hr bowel prep prior and had to do one day of liquid and one day of clear liquid.

If your'e on liquid, anything that pours is OK. That includes prepared stuff like Slim Fast or Ensure. There's coffee and tea (yeah!), popsicles, jello, fruit juice bars (they really help), and soups without chunks like tomato soup.

Clear liquid is much more restrictive. You have to be able to "see" through it. Having a variety of juice types helps.

I found that "eating" as soon as you feel hungry helps a lot. Just drink, and drink. Don't wait or you get really painfully hungry. Drink and drink...you'll feel better. Also, the first 24 hours are the worst, the second day wasn't as bad.

Good luck!
Unread 10-09-2001, 04:15 PM
Liquid Diet

Hi!!

I'm diabetic also but I'm not going to have to be on a liquid diet. There are websites you can check out which could be of some help.

http://www.diabetes.org/default.asp
or
http://www.diabeteswebsite.com/
or
http://www,diabetic-lifestyles.com

Also the American Diabetes ***. has a website.

Hope this will help you.

bjmc

Barbara J.
Unread 10-09-2001, 06:04 PM
Liquid Diet

I did the two days of liquids before my surgery and in addition to popsicles I had Italian ices, Tang, Grape juice, vegetable broth, and I even found popsicles that were colorless, but flavored!
Unread 10-09-2001, 08:00 PM
How about beef broth?

I posted my recipe in the soup section of the HysterSister recipe page.

It's rich and delicious.

You could also make a vegetable broth. If you cheat and throw in some MSG you can make it taste rich and creamy. For a tomato flavor you could use the juice from a can of whole tomatoes. Throw in some roasted onions, celery, carrots, okra... simmer gently for hours, then remove the veggies with a strainer. Boil down, then add some herbs and salt to taste. I am not sure whether you can pull a vegetable broth without the magic powder (MSG). I know I can't!
Unread 10-10-2001, 05:20 AM
Liquid Diet

Thanks for the tips! I had not thought about popsicles - what a great idea! I'll have to stock up!

I'll keep you posted!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register