How bout some sisters with positive outcomes? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How bout some sisters with positive outcomes? How bout some sisters with positive outcomes?

Unread 11-11-2014, 06:00 AM
How bout some sisters with positive outcomes?

Not trying to knock anyone or belittle the pain. We do go through a lot with this surgery. But my life has improved so much in the past 3 weeks that I just wanna know how many other sisters have good stories. Just wanna hear the "good" that the surgery has brought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2014, 07:36 AM
Re: How bout some sisters with positive outcomes?

It's so lovely not to be bleeding all the time. Out of habit, I check every time I go to the loo and realised eh other day that I don't need to do that anymore! :-)
Unread 11-11-2014, 08:13 AM

I felt immediately better after my surgery, I was having pain, lengthy periods and nausea due to large fibroids. I had a quick pain free recovery, was out and about the day after getting released from the hospital (1 night stay). I followed my Drs orders, but was otherwise active and enjoyed life. I never napped, or stayed in bed except at night, and I recovered beautifully with no setbacks. I never took any pain meds of any kind (it's not that I was brave, I just didn't have pain). I'm 58 and not in the best of shape, although very active. Hopefully this thread will encourage people who are contemplating hysterectomy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2014, 08:32 AM

I'm always posting my positive story lol!! Yes, it was major surgery (I'm 10 weeks post op!! ) but my recovery was pretty easy. I was sore, tired, had aches and pains and did not feel like myself. But that was to be expected. I see alot of women posting who are one week...or two or three weeks post op.... and saying they are tired and have pain. Of course that's normal...you just had surgery!!
I try to let pre-op women know that the surgery and recovery isn't bad at all but it will take a few weeks for you to start to feel better and stronger. But I am here to tell you that after 10 weeks, I'm pretty much back to normal. If I have a heavy schedule, I will still get tired but I just rest when I need to. No biggie.
I understand the fear before surgery. I was there. I went through it and other women who had gone through it before me told me the same thing....it's going to be fine, you will do great. And I did...and I'm so glad I had it done...I would do it again!!
Unread 11-11-2014, 09:12 AM

I'm 4 days post and I feel great. I don't need the pain medicine. I'm just relaxing, walking a little around the house and catching up on some tv. I have 4 little scares you can barely see. I'm just feeling good right now and looking forward to better days.
Unread 11-11-2014, 09:25 AM

Another positive story here!. I have felt normal since about 3 days post-op. I had anterior, posterior and urethral repairs along with a vaginal hysterectomy. I have to remind myself that I had major surgery - I feel that good. I have been driving since day 6 and haven't taken any naps since day 1. My only reminder of the surgery is the slight discharge I am still having.

I know that everyone heals at different rates and sometimes some have real set backs.

This is a great thread to keep going because it seems that the positive outcomes get buried by those having rough recoveries. I didn't find this site until post-op. Most of what I read since then are the"bad" stories and that could really scare some into canceling much needed surgeries.
Unread 11-11-2014, 11:01 AM

Hi rgray6,

I know I am early in my post-op journey. Am 2 weeks post TAH/SBO. Yes, I am tired and a little sore. Taking Mortin and Tylenol, but only a couple times of day now. Dealing with constipation a bit but other than that I do feel pretty good. I had stage four endo and had some kind of pelvic pain ALL the time. It was unpredictable too - I could feel fine one minute and be doubled over the next. I DO NOT miss that. I would take this soreness any day over that. For the past couple years I also bled almost every day of the month - also unpredictable. Had to carry extra pants and underwear in my car because I could go from nothing to a huge gush without warning or regularity. I am so happy to not be bleeding anymore that right before my surgery I bought cute new undies and new white sheets for the bed! I was sleeping on a beach towel for months!! I can tell things are better in there despite the fact that I am still healing from a recent operation. I had both ovaries removed and I feel fine with that too so far and hope it will continue. I have also lost weight during this recovery process. My appetite still isn't normal so that's probably why and I'm sure it will come back later, but I'm enjoying that right now too! Staying positive really helps! I think being confident in your decision before surgery also goes a long way. I was ready to have my organs removed and fully understood and accepted why it had to be abdominal. My surgeon if very well respected and I totally trusted his judgement. I have two beautiful, healthy kids and had no desire to have any more especially at 42. I was so grateful and relieved to know I did not have cancer and to face a future without endo that I have no regrets so far!
Unread 11-11-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillydog1 View Post
Hi rgray6,

I know I am early in my post-op journey. Am 2 weeks post TAH/SBO. Yes, I am tired and a little sore. Taking Mortin and Tylenol, but only a couple times of day now. Dealing with constipation a bit but other than that I do feel pretty good. I had stage four endo and had some kind of pelvic pain ALL the time. It was unpredictable too - I could feel fine one minute and be doubled over the next. I DO NOT miss that. I would take this soreness any day over that. For the past couple years I also bled almost every day of the month - also unpredictable. Had to carry extra pants and underwear in my car because I could go from nothing to a huge gush without warning or regularity. I am so happy to not be bleeding anymore that right before my surgery I bought cute new undies and new white sheets for the bed! I was sleeping on a beach towel for months!! I can tell things are better in there despite the fact that I am still healing from a recent operation. I had both ovaries removed and I feel fine with that too so far and hope it will continue. I have also lost weight during this recovery process. My appetite still isn't normal so that's probably why and I'm sure it will come back later, but I'm enjoying that right now too! Staying positive really helps! I think being confident in your decision before surgery also goes a long way. I was ready to have my organs removed and fully understood and accepted why it had to be abdominal. My surgeon if very well respected and I totally trusted his judgement. I have two beautiful, healthy kids and had no desire to have any more especially at 42. I was so grateful and relieved to know I did not have cancer and to face a future without endo that I have no regrets so far!
Thank you sillydog1, it's so good to hear some positive feedback. This is a really tough ordeal we have gone through but like you and many others my life is 100 times better since the surgery. I just think that we should also look at the good that follows surgery that have given some people their lives back.
Thanks again for posting
Unread 11-11-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savdoc2 View Post
Another positive story here!. I have felt normal since about 3 days post-op. I had anterior, posterior and urethral repairs along with a vaginal hysterectomy. I have to remind myself that I had major surgery - I feel that good. I have been driving since day 6 and haven't taken any naps since day 1. My only reminder of the surgery is the slight discharge I am still having.

I know that everyone heals at different rates and sometimes some have real set backs.

This is a great thread to keep going because it seems that the positive outcomes get buried by those having rough recoveries. I didn't find this site until post-op. Most of what I read since then are the"bad" stories and that could really scare some into canceling much needed surgeries.
Thank you so much for posting your story and I totally agree about the good and bad stories. I often times think back when I was pre-op and found this site. At first it scared me with all the horror then I ran across an uplifting one. It helped me make the decision that could have very much saved my life cause I was on a downward spiral.
Now I have joy again.
Thanks again n i hope we can keep this thread going.

Stay strong
Unread 11-11-2014, 11:25 AM

I have complained on here a lot because I had/have more pain than I expected and my husband is sick of hearing about it. 😜 I am still pretty tired and sore.

HOWEVER: My surgery went great, no unexpected findings or complications. I had a total hysterectomy and bladder prolapse repair, was home the next day, and in less than two weeks I am doing most of my regular activities. I have 5 small incisions that already look pretty good. Which is all AMAZING! And would not have been possible even a decade or two ago. I am looking forward to many years of not dealing with the drama that my uterus caused me! That is something to celebrate and worth it all! 💃

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register