2 Keep or NOT 2 KEEP (cervix)...that is the question? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 Keep or NOT 2 KEEP (cervix)...that is the question? 2 Keep or NOT 2 KEEP (cervix)...that is the question?

Unread 07-30-2007, 08:34 PM
2 Keep or NOT 2 KEEP (cervix)...that is the question?

Question for those who are having LAVH....
How did you decide on keeping your cervix? My gyn hasn't weighed in on this yet. But it seems the cervix is just another organ to worry about "going bad" down the road and yet, I've never had an abnormal pap..... so I'm undecided. All the research I've done states the cervix help s to 1) Hold up/support the uterus from prolapse (moot point since my uterus will be taken out 2) Helps supply nutrients/healthy "stuff" to the sperm (see above moot point). Did your doc just make the decision for you based on your medical situation or did you have a choice? Another side of me says I should keep all organs that aren't sick AND perhaps loosing the cervix will impact sexual intercourse in a negative way (ie. less intense orgasms? shorten the vaginal canal? ... which would be sad since DH & I have so much fun What are your thoughts??
Also how/why did you chose robotics over plain LAVH? (still considering both options) I am planning on robotics LAVH unless something changes after my gyn appt tomorrow.... she feels that this is the best route for me.THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2007, 01:04 AM

My understanding is if you have a LAVH the cervix has to go. I had a LAVH, I had also had abnormal paps. My urologist told me once the uterus is gone the bladder will fall, even though I didn't need it I opted for a bladder sling because the Dr. said I would be back in a couple of yrs to have that done.
I can't tell any difference during sex that my cervix is gone.

Good Luck with what you decide!

mshowdy
Unread 07-31-2007, 02:08 AM

if you have an lavh, your cervix will be removed. i did not want anything healthy removed and didnt. a lot depends on the skill of your surgeon. do some research on the lsh and ask your dr if you are a candidate for that (if you want to keep your cervix and ovaries). good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2007, 05:04 AM

Lots of people have made this point: You can't get cancer in something you don't have.
Unread 07-31-2007, 05:30 AM

I decided to have the cervix taken...painful during sex and increased risk of cancer.

Good Luck!
Lis

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register