Down to the wire... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Down to the wire... Down to the wire...

Unread 11-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Down to the wire...

Hi Everyone!

It is so strange to see the message "to our November 20th princesses"!! I can't believe my surgery date is less than 2 days away!

I go on liquid this afternoon and truly can't remember if they told me w hat "liquids" were. I then do a full bowel prep tomorrow (yippy).

My mom hasn't called me once in the 2.5 months I've known I was going to have the surgery to see how I am doing and when I call her she seems disinterested in anything I have to say. Then my sister calls last night and asks me how I am holding up and then spends the remaining 1 hour of conversation telling me about how stressed out she is because nobody understands how hard she works and she is upset because her youngest son (my nephew) told her she was a negative person.

My fears are creeping in again about what they will find when they get in there. I am aware of the chronic cysts on my left ovary, the hydrosalpinx in my left tube and the fibroids. Things I've been dealing with for 20 years. My doctor keeps saying that the only reason we are doing this is to get rid of my pain and the bleeding and since he is the one that wanted to schedule it in November I am assuming that he had/has no concerns that there was/is something else amiss.

Now for a few good things that have happened over the last few days. I had a great pre-admit nurse. She told me she would have a fan in the room waiting for me when I got out of recovery. She told me that all rooms on the OB floor are private and that the nurses cannot have more than 5 patients assigned to them and generally they average about 3 patients per nurse. She said they are "like gnats on honey" if a patient is in pain or has nausea and won't rest until they get the proper medication for them. She said that I can order food from a menu, like room service, and they will bring me my food when I am ready on not on their schedule. She said they have wonderful chef salads and just to ask them to add extra protein if I want it. She said that they will get me up on Tuesday morning and help me shower and get into my own nightie although Iwill be wearing a pair of their sexie mesh panties.

My DH's boss told me they will pray for me on Monday morning at the time of my surgery and ask God to send an angel to watch over me and everyone else in the operating room.

My bag is packed with nighties (2), robe, panties, loose pants and t-shirt for ride home, slippers, back scratcher, chap stick, lotion, a bit of makeup, cd player, books and my pillows.

Is there anything I am forgetting? Does anyone know how to get past the family stuff and just take care of myself? What exactly is a "liquid diet"? These are my burning questions of the day.

Lesley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Down to the wire...

Liquid diet is non-pulp juice, broth without any bits or chunks in it (like Swanson chicken broth), and jello. They say clear liquid, but colored juice and jello are okay (such as cranberry juice or blue jello). ***** for a couple days, but the hunger pains go away. One thing I brought to the hospital that I loved having is a throw blanket from home. Hospital blankets are woefully thin and non-cudley. Also, I brought thank you treats for the nurses. I made several beaded ID necklaces to give them, but just a box of chocolates to give them as a thanks for taking care of you is a wonderful gesture...and you get great care by expressing a little thanks! You sound really prepared...the makeup and skincare are awesome to help you feel "human" again in the hospital.
Blessings and best wishes,
Holly
TAH, Nov 14, 2006
Unread 11-18-2006, 12:58 PM
Down to the wire...

It's very sad to hear what a selfish family you have. Since you know that you cannot rely on their support, I hope that you have others
(non-relatives) who can offer you what you need. I have found my "extended family" to be more than sufficient, you know?
Good luck to you, the waiting is the hardest part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Down to the wire...

Sue,

I have wonderful friends here that truly love me and surround me with that love so I am very fortunate there.

Don't get me wrong I feel fortunate to have my sister and mom and other extended family I just always let my expectations take me someplace I don't need to be. On the flip side they probably think I am selfish for wanting them to show concern.

Oh well, thank goodness for my friends and this website!! I could not be doing this without either of you!

Lesley
Unread 11-18-2006, 08:50 PM
Down to the wire...

I'm sorry to hear of your family's response. Sometimes we must form a family of friends.

I also have a mother who really isn't interested in my upcoming surgery. It is sad, but I realize that she is that way.
Unread 11-18-2006, 09:09 PM
Down to the wire...

Quote:
Is there anything I am forgetting? Does anyone know how to get past the family stuff and just take care of myself
Lesley, look at it this way....whatever is wrong with you will be gone in a couple of days. The rest of the people, their problems will stick with them until they solve them. Forget about them and focus on Princess Lesley and know that there are hundreds of women here who love you and will be praying for a speedy recovery.
Unread 11-19-2006, 12:58 AM
Down to the wire...

It really is getting down to the wire isn't it! Hope the rest of my Nov 20th sisters are sleeping better these last few days then I am!

Sorry to hear about your family, mine are there but keep telling me its no big deal and to just chill out (easy thing for them to say IMO since its not them getting cut) I personally will get about a weeks help with kids and such (which counts hospital time) and thats all so lets hope I heal fast! But, not trying to rant just kinda scared.

You bag sounds like its got the right stuff in it. Tho, you might want to add extra socks everywhere I read you will be really cold and want lots of socks.

Mystik
Unread 11-19-2006, 02:09 AM
Down to the wire...

Trust me, the other Nov 20th princesses aren't getting any sleep either! I woke up at 12:15am (after falling asleep at 10:30pm) and realized that I am now on a clear liquid diet. This is becoming all too real! As for not having support of family, I hope you can get past it and embrace the support of this group of loving women and know we will all be thinking of you and sending warm thoughts your way. Take care of yourself and know in a few days we will be on the other side of the pain, bleeding and bad, bad days. What a comfort that will be!
Unread 11-19-2006, 05:13 AM
Down to the wire...

Good Morning Everyone! Thank you so much for your wonderful, kind and fast responses.

I keep telling m yself after tomorrow the pain, bleeding, back aches, etc will be gone. Of course I s tarted my liquid diet yesterday afternoon and will begin my pill prep this evening, do a fleet enema and then a shorter pill regime around 1 in the morning.

As for sleep...what's that? I think one of the things I am really looking forward to is sleeping a full night and at this point I don't care whether it is due to the pain medication or not. I just want to get a good night's rest.

What time are the other 20th princesses going in? I have to report at 6:30 and my surgery is at 8:30.

Hugs to all of you. My t houghts and prayers are with each of us as we move into the next phase of our lives.

Lesley
Unread 11-19-2006, 05:47 AM
Down to the wire...

I also had an 8:30 surgery and reported into the Castle at 6:30. It was awesome....no chance of being bumped by a prior surgery taking more time than imagined!
You're going to be so happy when this is over with. Looking forward to hearing about how well you're doing, when you get back home.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register