Heavy bleeding and clotting. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Heavy bleeding and clotting. Heavy bleeding and clotting.

Unread 01-28-2003, 11:48 AM
Heavy bleeding and clotting.

Hi, Im a 35 year old mother of 3 (7,6,and 2) after my third child I tied my tubes. I have always had yearly gyno check ups and about 1/2 of my pap test always came back with some kind of abnormal result. After I had my tubes tied and my period returned I bleed alot, thru pads and forget about tampons. Clotting was unbeleivable, never had it before. Craps werent too bad this started in 2000. I went to the dr to get a referral to the gyno and he did blood work and found my thryoid to be low (a whole other problem!) he put me on thyroid medication. Went to the gyno and they did ultrasound and found polyps and fibroids in the uterus. They claim that was not the cause of bleeding, but went ahead and did a d&c. Well the next month is was right back to the bleeding and clotting. It is so bad I dont go out when I have my period. After about 2 years of being told, take the pill, go on hrt, etc. I finally found a dr that will give a hyst,. My family has a history of breast, ovarian, cervial cancer. And thyroid problems. So far I have the thyroid and breast problems, not cancer, thank god! My question is has anyone experienced these problems or have any suggestions? thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2003, 03:33 PM
heavy bleeding and clotting

I am 41, mother of 2, and have been going through this nightmare for the last 8 years. I have been put on every pill known to man and it doesn't stem the tide. This past November, I found out that my uterus was enlarged and the endometrial stripe was almost 2cm thick! So, I had a D&C because the DR suspected polyps. None existed. There was no cancer, so they thought it was a severe hormone imbalance. They put me back on the pill and this past month's cycle was as bad as it has ever been. There wasn't much of any lining left to shed, but the pain and the bleeding was constant. There was no leaving the bathroom for 2 days - literally!...and they bleeding lasted for 7 days. Through my own reading I have been telling my DR that I suspected Adenomyosis (endometriosis of the uterus). After the D&C,and the fact that the hormones did nothing to help the period, she is leaning toward Adenomyosis as well. she said the uterus is literally so spongy (because the endometrium grows into the muscle) that the uterus can't clamp down and stop the bleeding so I literally just bleed until it's all done. There is no cure for it except surgery. I've tried every herbal remedy. I'm afraid of surgery....but it's something I"m now having to wrap my head around.
Unread 01-28-2003, 05:39 PM

Hi there,

Welcome to this site. You certainly aren't alone with your problems or your search for solutions.

I also have fibroids with the flooding, cramping and clotting. But, I don't have your thyroid or family cancer history. You've had some of the options with the D&C and two years on pills; however, with your family history of cancer, I'd think you would now be a candidate for the surgery. There may be a few more options out there for you...but I'd be looking forward to peace of mind... like you.

Please seek a third opinion...I know it's hard but you learn alot and it's always good to have two matching opinions. Most likely, your ovaries would also be removed, so the second opinion would also give you another opportunity to discuss hormone therapy. The surgery will stop the bleeding...but you will still have a new set of challenges ahead of you. With possible post op complications and perhaps 15 more years on hormone therapy, life will be different. The pay off would be a better quality of life and the least amount of risk for cancer.

Best of luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2003, 06:17 PM
3 weeks post-op

I am 43, had a total hyst on Jan. 8 and I am glad its finally over. I also had my tubes tied after my last child. I bleed for three months after he was born. I had tons of test and medicine and shots till the bleeding finally stopped. This was 8 and half years ago. Since then I have been thru a few doctors. None have helped me with the heavy, (very heavy) bleeding. The cramps and back ache where so bad, I couldn't leave the house. Last Oct. I was seeing my family physician for something and he did a blood test. He said my blood count was low, so I told him that I was having very bad and very heavy periods. He asked what my GYN was doing about it and I told him I was in the process of having to find another, because the last one had done a d/c and nothing changed. Things had gotten worst. My family physician made a few calls and got me in to see this great GYN. First he spent lots of time talking about my pass history. Heavy bleeding terrible cramps. and periods lasting up to 12 days. After a few test, he told me without a doubt, that I needed a total hysterectomy. It was a very bad case of indometroisis . It was time for a total hysterectomy. Finally, a DR who listens. Thank God. My healing is slow (as far as I am concerned), but I'm getting along fine. Can't wait to have a born fire with all those hospital pads I used to have to wear...........................LOL.......Hope you too find a DR that can hear your cries and give you the correct treatment you deserve. My DR said, " when a womans' period controls her life, then its time for it to come to an end."........Good Luck and God Bless............
Unread 01-31-2003, 09:16 PM

absolutely. I ended up in the hospital because I had fainted from losing so much blood. (cout was at a 4). The nurses would say "bleeding is considered heavy if you soak a pad in 1 hour" I asked so what is it considered if you soak a super tampon and an overnight pad in 15 minutes. My heavy bleeding, clotting (no craps really) but general back pain and discomfort, occasional gal bladder attacks, were all due to the fibroids I had.

No additional advice for you, you've done the best thing by finding a doctor who will listen to you.

Good luck,

BSQ
Unread 02-01-2003, 12:57 PM
hello

hello there I have a friend that has fibroids and she has been seen here at Mayo Clinic by doc . Domestic and he is the world specalist in the world he has some interesting things he found on them .......

but that wasnt my point I just had a TAH I am 29 and started bleeding before Thanksgiving and things started to pick up so bad I to was passing clots my doctors told me that they wanted to do a Dnc and and then put me on birth control pills ladies this is only a mask for the real problem most doctors really dont know enough about this so there solution is the pill . I walked in and said I had enough of this and they needed to do something . so they did the TAh and I was lucky they left my ovaries, but I am telling you I feel free I am a new person the bleeding is gone and this is life changing for me .......dont rule out a TAH with out doing the research . the scariest part of the whole thing of me was the iv but other then that things went really well .............

I was so glad when they finially did it , and when you soak at least a pad an hour by the time they decide to do it you are so thankful that for me it was a good feeling ............

this is just something to think about everyone is different I just want you to know that I wish you the best and hope that you really feel like the decision you make is one you feel really comfortable about ..........................

best wishes to you ..........and hang in there sarah

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register