Starting to get kind of scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Starting to get kind of scared Starting to get kind of scared

Unread 02-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Starting to get kind of scared

Hi ladies, I went to the doc last week and we decided I should have a hyster + overies and tubes. I was kind of relieved knowing that I wouldn't be in pain anymore from the POCS. We set my date, 2/28. Now I'm getting scared. The nurse said I didn't need a per-opp appointment. What about the forms? My questions? Don't I have to do something beforehand?
It's all so final. When I went in and inquired about it, I figured I'd get alittle of a fight. I'm 27 with no kids and I've had my overies reduced? because of firitility drugs with a lap done. It's something I want, we decided that we didn't want kids after that surgery. Our step-dads made it easy for both of us to realize blood between people isn't everything.
But..
No preperations, no reading of my future, no drink this, shave that, or anything. Just show up at the hospital at 5am on 2/28.
So I'm just freaking out a little. I'm the person who read the PDR and Complete Manual to Mental Illnesses when I decided to start college to become a psychologist.
My mind is just running sooo fast. I have sooo many questions about before, during, and after. How will this, the surgery or removal of my reproductive organs, effect my Fibromyalgia, CFS, IBS, and others?

Sorry for rambling, just freaking out a little...
Thanks for listening,
Brandy W, KS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2005, 08:24 PM

Brandy

You need to call your Dr. and go in with a list of your concerns and questions. Good luck and everything will be okay. About the only advice I know to give you is don't shave.

Cherri
Unread 02-08-2005, 08:43 PM

Brandy,

HI. We share the same surgery date. I have a pre-op appt. for the 21st. I think it is very odd that you don't have one. Have they already did testing on you? I think they at least do blood work. Plus, there are all kind of papers and such to sign. Do you know what kind of surgery you are having? My advice would be call the dr. and tell him you need some answers. And ask them why you don't need a pre-op.

And, please, do not worry about rambling. We all do that.

Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2005, 09:09 PM

I agree with our sisters, you absolutely need to call your dr. tomorrow. No pre-op is NOT normal. Your doc needs to explain your procedure completely AND at the very least order blood tests. If they don't, I would question them over and over again. Remember, you have to take responsibility for your health care.

To help yourself calm down tonight, I suggest you start a list of questions you want to ask your doctor. This website has a good list under Checkpoints, but you might have additional questions and concerns. Also, you may want to talk about what you are going to do about hormones afterward. I am a question person. I don't like surprises, so I want to know what they are doing to my body (as much as possible).

Your doctor works for YOU, not the other way around. Ask as many questions as you want. Don't be shy or intimidated. It is YOUR body. YOU are having surgery, not the doctor. If the doctor doesn't make time to answer your questions and try to put your fears to rest, get another doctor, that is not right.

We are with you, but YOU have to take care of your health. You are just another patient to your doctor. You are special to us and your loved ones.

Denise
Unread 02-08-2005, 09:36 PM

HELLO, BRANDY!
I WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I GO IN THURSDAY FOR A TAH/BSO I HAVE MY BLOOD WORK DONE TOMORROW.

BUT.......I WAS SCHEDULED FOR AN EARLIER DATE, AT THIS TIME THE DRS. OFFICE JUST TOLD ME TO SHOW AT THE HOSPITAL THE MORNING OF MY HYSTERECTOMY AND THEY WOULD DO THE BLOOD WORK THEN ,SO.....MAYBE THIS IS WHAT YOUR DR. DOES.

BUT I WOULD CHECK WITH THEM TO SEE. GOOD LUCK I'LL BE KEEPING YOU IN MY PRAYERS!
Unread 02-08-2005, 09:43 PM

Brandy,

Call and schedule a "talk" appointment with your gyn, take all of your questions with you, a pen and some paper for answers. The hospital will usually call and tell you when to come in for pre-op with them including med history, allergies, medications that you take, etc.

Don't worry, no hospital in their right mind (collective) would allow a surgery to be performed without a pre-op appointment... they'd risk their license!

Hope you are able to calm yourself, it makes this so much easier and it seems to go faster that way to.

Stay Strong and Heal Well!!
Unread 02-14-2005, 12:24 AM
Over reacted of course

Hi ladies,
Ok so I over reacted just a little
So I called my OBGYN and they said that the hospital will be contacting me and will have a pre-opp appointment with me. That sure eased my mind. So thanks to everyone for your support while I was freaking out!
LV
Brandy W, KS
Unread 02-14-2005, 01:32 AM

Hi - My pre-op is being the done the morning of the surgery. That is not uncommon but hospitals have different practices, it may have to do with the size of their lab, or how late in the day the surgery is scheduled for, who knows... But, someone should call you from admitting/pre-op and ask you lots of questions!

Remember, they want to process your insurance so someone will definitely call you from the hospital before you come in! When the hospital calls, specifically ask them if the pre-op will be done the same day. Ask them the exact procedure - knowledge is power and you will feel so much better just knowing what to expect that day.

I see that you wrote that your doctor's office called you about the pre-op - but I will re-iterate everyone else's advice: make a list of every single question you have and make sure your doctor answers all your questions satisfactorily! You are not bugging him/her and even if you are, you entitled to answers - it is your right to be fully informed!

Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register